[9x/Me] Surviving Without a Virus Scanner

Queue

• 4 months later...

I have found and added extra security. If you go to this site Pop-Up Window Killer and scroll down to Pop-Up Window Killer vb script. This is great security for kids. After you have downloaded the PUK.VBS start it, a PUK.TXT will be created. Add whatever filter name [Example] cats to the PUK.TXT file and do a google search for cats. Your browser will close immediately. If you have multiple tabs the script will hang.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using ClamWin for awhile and it hasn't detected anything on my Windows ME computer.

I also installed AVG Anti-Virus 7.5.524 (minus the resident shield) and it hasn't detected anything either. Bear in mind, AVG is from 2008, whereas ClamWin is up-to-date. I've also got F-prot for DOS (from 2009). None of them has detected anything.

So, between the three of them (and my firewall), I feel pretty secure. I always turn javascript off when I'm surfing the web too.

People out in the real world think I'm crazy for sticking with Windows ME. But their computers are usually slower than mine... programs start way slower because everything is bogged down by Microsoft Security Essentials or whatever resident virus scanner they use. It's pathetic. Only thing is, I can't watch stupid youtube videos, gosh, how sad!

I still use multiple '98 machines everyday, and I recently installed '98SE on a screaming shoe-box computer that I got second-hand. I paid lots of money for some very expensive and useful software designed for '98 for the last 15 or 20 years, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some jerk-wad force me to stop using something that works just fine.

Amen, brother.

And now with Windows 8 and tablets and whatever, eventually I don't think people will have many options about what they install. They want everyone to have the same dumbed-down, similar computers. It's like how before Myspace and Facebook came along, if you wanted a webpage, you had to make it yourself. But at least it was unique. I equate Facebook to like some office cubicle. Everybody has their own little generic office cubicle.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say that browsing the internet with Javascript disabled is already protecting from all viruses that you can get being online.

If you use a POP3 e-mail account (eg Outlook {Express}), open all your mails as text.

Remain infections from USB and optical discs...

Also disable autorun. This thing shouldn't exist on the first place.