Win 7 RC is really, really slow.

MarkJohnson

I just did a fresh install of win 7 RC. It runs so slow now. It takes a few seconds for the right-click menu to appear on the desktop. I keep getting messages saying my system is too slow. and aero keeps saying it runs out of memory and shuts itself off. as you can see in my sig, my system can handle win7 with ease. I was running win 7 beta fine for a couple of months.

-=Mark=-

ps, I even reinstalled win 7 RC with same issues.

Well Mark im running win 7 64 bit on a older amd system 3800 + 3 gig ram 6600 gt and the right click menu is instant also to access other drives full of media is instant as this system is on a network and full of media files. Maybe u got a bad video driver install also win 7 has directx 11 not 10 u can install 10 . i always install 9 its a dif build so it only adds dx 9 files that programs look for older ones and some games. Try installing the driver from nivida and see.Also check task manger to see if something is running cpu full or program useing alot of memory.

Hammey

Edited by John305

I'm tending to agree with John305's entry. Sounds like a video driver problem.

Running 7-RC on Intel X3100 video and Win7 SCREAMS. If it remains stable with my Office, AV and other widely used programs, The Big V is no more over here.

Edited by knowitall_wannabe

dx 10 and 9 can be found at ms . I am currently checking on dx in video cards . My idea is and this all started with power dvd wont install on vista 64 on my q9650 vista comes with 10 as it cant find dx 9 they say it does not need dx 9 well i know the install asks for it. there requirments are a dx 9 compatable video card. What im waiting to find out is a dx 9 card dx 9 compatable without dx 9 installed or does it need the dx 9 installed to make it so. If your video card is dx 10 it will run best with dx 10 installed.

Hammey

Mark,

What kind of errors are you seeing in the event log, If you open resource monitor where does it show all your memory going?

if you under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools and do a system health check, what results do you get back?

Thanks for all the replies, I should get somewhere with all this useful info.

II reinstalled Win 7 again last night. it was snappy at boot. I installed the nvidia 185.81 driver and it started acting up again. I then uninstalled the nvidia drivers and installed the WDM 1.1 from windows update and it was still slow. I thought maybe it might need Intel x58 drivers so I downloaded the vista x64 drivers and it didn't help at all.

I am currently reinstalling Win 7 again to start from a clean slate. what is the recommended driver to install? preferably nvidia so I can continue to fold@home. will I need Intel driveres or will win 7 have them preinstalled?

Thanks again for all the help

-=Mark=-

I just finished installing win 7 again and downloaded all updates except the nvidia driver and all is well. I install the wdm 1.1 driver and it fails with an error 80070103 and a desktop window manager has stopped working.

running event viewer doesn't help me much as I don't know how to use it, but in the Operational section there are 14 events with one critcal and one error and both are a BackgroundPrefetchTime while the others are mostly a," This startup service took longer than expected to startup, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:"

such as:

themes, Group Policy Client, ProfSvc, IDE Channel, CSC Service DLL, and three more IDE Channels.

When I reboot after the failed WDM 1.1 driver it starts installing the video drivers anyway. I get 3 pop-ups saying GTX 295 driver installed successfully, then I get a message saying a driver didn't install correctly pop-up and when I click on it, it is windows update wanting me to install wdm 1.1 again. and of course it fails again. I assumed the 4th pop-up didn't show up as the main gpu was installing during startup and the other 3 were something like a new device found kind of install. device manager shows all installed as 1.1.

ok, I just had windows update check for update and it says no more updates, the message was left over from last boot and never cleared itself upon reboot I guess.

anyway, it seems fast enough and it is doing folding@home, but when I install 185.81 then it is just slow and doesn't give any errors during the install, but is slowing things down.

-=Mark=-

Right on MarkJ. Had the same issues and I am NOT running W7 drivers from nVidia or inbox W7 WDM 1.1 for that matter. Instead, I downloaded the latest for my 9800GX2 (182.50 for Vista) and that's when all hell broke loose. All sorts of nasties including the slowdown. I reverted to 182.08 (for Vista) and all is well. Something went horribly wrong with the newest wave of nVidia drivers. Stick with the one previous to your present one and work your way back. They do have a link at nVidia to archived drivers!

Edited by razormoon

hi im new here i just wanted to share this info..

right now i am dual booting with win7 32 and win7 64 just to try to 2 out. i first installed windows 7 32 and everything went fantastic, infact im on it as i type right now. i then partitioned my drive and restarted to install windows 7 64 on my new partition something i have done with every other os in the past. anyways the 64 bit install has been terrible 8+ hours to fisnish installation. and when i get to the desktop its slower than you could imagine.. just wondering why 32 went so well and 64 did not.. these are both legit version of the RC1 7100 release.. and both burned the same way..

I just did a fresh install of win 7 RC. It runs so slow now. It takes a few seconds for the right-click menu to appear on the desktop.
II reinstalled Win 7 again last night. it was snappy at boot. I installed the nvidia 185.81 driver and it started acting up again.

I'm just having the slow context menu popup on Win7's desktop, but I do believe it is nvidia's 185.81 video drivers. Didn't do this on Windows Update(WU) WDM 1.1 drivers until I updated with nvidia's.

I'm not gonna revert back tho' because WU's drivers are sluggish on gameplay. Other than that I've had no problem.