Choppy video and streams

My Computer Specs:

Win2k SP4

395mhz<--------Most likely the problem :(

256mb ram<--------------upgrading to 384 this week

ATI Rage Pro Video Card

All drivers have been updated to win2k

Here is my problem. I can't play streaming video that is wmv or flash on my desktop. It plays but it is either slow or the audio is ok and the video doesn't move for 5-10 seconds. Also wmv is choppy even if it is downloaded to my computer and I try to run it. This computer used to have XP on it. It also had the same problem. Its not my internet connection because it runs fine with my laptop.

I have had XP nlited and it used little ram I know it is not a ram issue. I have done the same with win2k and can run as little as 12 process and use hardly any ram but it is still that way. I've tried codecs, every player imaginable but it still doesn't seem to work. I have heard and believe it is my processor speed :(. I am only holding out hope it is something else because I have read that some people in the same 300-400mhz range don't have the problem that I do.

Like I stated above I am upgrading the ram. No real reason why but if I ever decide to put xp back on here it would be more responsive but as it stands win2k flies on here.

So here are my questions:

1.Would upgrading the video card help?

2.Computer is 10 years old and originally designed for win98se. Would making a partition and downgrading it to win98se help the problem?

3.Is my real problem my processor?

4.Any other suggestions?

Just wanted to add this at the bottom it is not a huge problem for me. If I want to see streaming video I can use the laptop. Its just the problem has been nagging me ever since I got this computer a long time ago. I am tired of searching for answers. So no I am asking. If you read it this far thank you :)