General Syntax Question

Hi,

I am setting up my first boot cd/dvd at the moment. I think I have everything working as it should but am trying to get a few 'nice to haves' working in the process.

I have a *.cmd file written which installs all of my favourite applications. However I have some apps which fall into the same category (for instance: Internet explorers or media players). Is there a way to include a subtitle on the GUI when these apps are being installed?

The code below is from my *.cmd file. Does anyone know whether this functionality is available or not.

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "VLC Media Player v0.9.8a" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\My_Apps\VLC\VLC_Player_v0.9.8a_win32.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "BSPlayer" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\My_Apps\BSPlayer\BSPlayer_v137.826.exe" /f

rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

EXIT

Please let me know if you need further clarification on this post or if it needs to be posted elsewhere as I am new here.

Thanks.

Excuse me if this sounds dumb, but wouldn't that "cmdow @ /hid" just hide the whole commands window altogether?

I am not too sure what you mean.

If you want to display text in your commands window, use "echo text", and/or "cls" to clear the screen.

After Windows is installed and the system reboots, RunOnceEx will display a window titled "Installing applications". What is displayed in the window is contained in your RunOnceEx.cmd title entries. For example, in your title line

sets the title of the window to "installing applications" and the title line

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "VLC Media Player v0.9.8a" /f

RunOnceEx will display

VLC Media Player v0.9.8a

Read here for a discussion of RunOnceEx.

Edited by krose

You are dead right. I do want to hide the cmd window but I am refering to the windows interface which lists the applications being installed (see screenshot below.)

runonceex.jpg

So an example of what I would like to happen is to have 'Instant Messengers' listed instead of AIM. Then below this (possibly indented to show that it is part of the instant messenger group) have AIM, ICQ, MSN etc. Same will go for internet explorers and media players.

Again this is only a nice to have and won't be detrimental if it is not achievable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[Edit]Thanks for your reply krose, i was replying to Selena when you posted so I missed it - Yes it is the test in the dialog box titled "Windows is installing the following programs" that I would like to manipulate. Is the above possible? [/edit]

Edited by dillon.damien@hotmail.com

REG ADD %KEY%\004 /VE /D "INSTALLING PLAYERS"

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D " -vlc media player v0.9.8a" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\My_Apps\VLC\VLC_Player_v0.9.8a_win32.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D " -bsplayer" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\My_Apps\BSPlayer\BSPlayer_v137.826.exe" /f

*I recommend CAPS for your main Titles, and lower case with a good 5 to 6 spaces and a leading -,*, +

Edited by iamtheky

Something that would be easier (maybe) would be to do all these installs from svcpack which installs during the T13 time period of the install. Basically everything gets installed before windows boots for the first time so you dont really need to see if something is installing or not.

This is the method I use and it works great.