Windows 7 "Keep" List

FridgeTooFar

Now everything installed, still only 5.11 GB in use. Some non-blocking issues, no biggies:

Snipping tool needs protect on: windows\system32\Magnification.dll & windows\system32\msdrm.dll (can be re-added manually later post-install)

Gadgets appears in the desktop right click menu, but does not work (I thought I removed it as I also did not with the Vista Sidebar)

Nokia PC suite will not install (does not support the platform it say upon installation)

Windows features can not be disabled (IE amongst others would be nice to remove)

I had some issues with installations resulting in errors related to VC80 (Windows Live Messenger), VC90 (Open Office 3.0)

The last was strangely resolved: I downloaded .NET 3.5 SP1 and ran it (no messages what so ever) and after this it seemed to work. Not sure if this was the solution, but it works now.

And the best part: I do not know weither it is the vLite'd Windows 7, my positive attitude or reality, but Windows 7 feels a lot snappier than Vista.

Nokia, Open Office, WLM all require VC80 files. If I restart and try a 2nd time, then they do install.

Also I keep Windows Help so that I can remove IE8 from Windows features. Windows Serahc and Gadgets can not be removed completely. I am going to try again with keeping Windows Search and Windows Sidebar and Gadgets. Also will try to remove Game Explorer, Windows Event Log and MDAC.

Hello.

Sorry if this question is placed in the wrong topic. But anyways, look under.

I have a question here. And yes i have tried hard to search after this both here and in Google and couldn't find anything out about the problem i have.

Well, i have made an almost perfect vLited version of Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 Build 7100 (64-bit). Atm the ISO file takes 1.73 GB. Yes i have followed the guides in this topic, so i don't remove some things that i'm not supposed to remove, so i don't mess up my Windows 7.

At the moment i'm running my vLited version of Windows 7 in VirtualBox so i can test out the OS before i install it for real.

But there is a small thing that annoy me a bit.

It's the Sticky Notes. I can't get it to work. When i start it it says this: Meta Data for some of the notes has been corrupt. Sticky Notes has restored them to defaults.

And when i press OK after that, then the window with 'Sticky Notes has stopped working' is popping up. And then i have to press OK again because the program couldn't be started so it had to close.

So my question is. Do someone here have a single clue on what kind of thing that make the Sticky Notes to not work?.

I hope someone can answer me this, because it will be a pain in the a** to go through lots of things on vLite to only find that out.

If needed, i can put the Last Session.ini file here to only if you need it.

Greetings from Tom-Helge.

Edited by Tom-Helge

I actually found out what the problem was. The problem was that i checked Snipping Tool to be removed. So now it's not removed.

So now the Sticky Notes are working like it should. But Snipping Tool in Windows 7 doesn't work though, but that's fine because i don't need that program. It just says it need the MAGNIFICATION.dll file to work.

My ISO file is now taking 1.74 GB and my Windows 7 Ultimate RC1 Build 7137 (64-bit) are working very good now.

So now the Sticky Notes are working like it should. But Snipping Tool in Windows 7 doesn't work though, but that's fine because i don't need that program. It just says it need the MAGNIFICATION.dll file to work.

Snipping tool needs protect on: windows\system32\Magnification.dll & windows\system32\msdrm.dll (can be re-added manually later post-install)

I retested again with build 7137:

vLite'd image, kept everything, but just rebuild for Windows 7 Ultimate (remove other editions)

Install to secondary partition, went into audit mode to install the Dutch languagepack, Updates and removed everything by use of Windows features (except for XPS viewer) and finalized the image.

With vLite I removed everything I previously did, although some things were not shown, because I removed them in Windows features (Windows Search for example, but IE still appaers).

I was able to remove a bit more: Game Explorer, Help (Windows features removed already), QoS, Windows Firewall, Task Scheduler, TPM Base Service, Windows Event Log, MDAC, SQM.

(The preset below does not have these checked for removal yet).

IE, QoS, Windows Firewall together in 1 turn provided blocking errors during install (I already encountered this in the past though).

Removal issues:

Snipping Tool (Sticky Notes do not work, keeps appearing in vLite after removal)

Welcome Center (keeps appearing in vLite after removal)

IE (installation error)

Application Experience (installation error)

Crash Dump Support (hibernate does not work)

Protect files:

windows\system32\winipsec.dll (IPSec removal gives installation error)

windows\system32\Magnification.dll & windows\system32\msdrm.dll (Snipping Tool does not function)

windows\system32\wer.dll & windows\system32\werconcpl.dll (issues? not verified)

edit: Tested Task Scheduler and SQM removal succesfully

edit 2: Tested QoS (succesfull) and Crash dump support (failed) removal

edit 3: Tested Windows firewall removal succesfully (preset not updated yet)

edit 3: Tested ICS removal succesfully (preset not updated yet)

Edited by Jeronimo

Very useful list on the first post ...

I have opted to keep a few stuff according to my usage, but indeed this is a good list. thx for those caution list for not to keep out.

> snipping tool not working.. (anyway can use the MWsnap instead),

> DEP - what option to choose? - optin? or Default?

> Page file executive > Disabled ?

I am just confused on few options..like wether I keep on x64 or x86 on this config my siggie .. i use vmware, a gaming alittle. i have used x64 till now but the lack of some stuff keep me confused when we will get it over. may be 128 bit OS directly. haha./

Edited by rollcage

Jeronimo your update issues are probably due to the IPSec Removal or QoS or a combo of both would not recommend removing either. Also since i removed file and print sharing and event log i cannot install Perfect disk or Total idea Tweak 7.

Nope issues where related to those last 2 components. So full story for the attached 7137-preset is...

Removal issues (and therefore not removed):

Snipping Tool (Sticky Notes do not work, keeps appearing in vLite after removal)

IE (installation error)

MDAC (unable to start Device Manager, Computer Management and probably other mmc.exe related components)

SQM (Windows Update does not show updates correctly)

Protect files details:

windows\system32\browcli.dll & windows\SYSwow64\browcli (required for "net start/stop" and psservice)

windows\system32\Magnification.dll & windows\system32\msdrm.dll (Snipping Tool does not function)

windows\system32\wer.dll & windows\system32\werconcpl.dll (issues? not verified)

On to 7201 and then RTM

Edited by Jeronimo

ok cool bro currently working on vlite build 7102 64 bit and i removed crash dump support and it completely made the power options in the control panel disappear i will give ur INI a whirl then or compare it to mine. thanks for replying i will keep you updated and possibly post a new v3 ini for you guys.

We need a vlite thats been equipped to work with the windows 7 waik, thats why all this crap is happening, its compiling the image incorrectly I would guess, but since nuhi jumped ship, vlite doesnt do the most important task for me (remove IE) and yes I know W7 is not out but its nearly finished its at feature freeze and possible rtm and will be out on Oct 09, so we need something an alpha a beta something to work with.

I retested again with build 7137:

vLite'd image, kept everything, but just rebuild for Windows 7 Ultimate (remove other editions)

Install to secondary partition, went into audit mode to install the Dutch languagepack, Updates and removed everything by use of Windows features (except for XPS viewer) and finalized the image.

With vLite I removed everything I previously did, although some things were not shown, because I removed them in Windows features (Windows Search for example, but IE still appaers).

I was able to remove a bit more: Game Explorer, Help (Windows features removed already), QoS, Windows Firewall, Task Scheduler, TPM Base Service, Windows Event Log, MDAC, SQM.

(The preset below does not have these checked for removal yet).

IE, QoS, Windows Firewall together in 1 turn provided blocking errors during install (I already encountered this in the past though).

Removal issues:

IE (installation error)

Protect files:

edit: Tested Task Scheduler and SQM removal succesfully

edit 2: Tested QoS (succesfull) and Crash dump support (failed) removal

edit 3: Tested Windows firewall removal succesfully (preset not updated yet)

edit 3: Tested ICS removal succesfully (preset not updated yet)

you dont want to take windows firewallor ICS becuse it destroys the underpinnings of windows networking, you will be able to get on the internet but say goodbuy to computer to computer networking/etc.