vlite installed on XP to create Vista 64

wolfgang

Hi, I am new to vlite. My question may sound stupid, but I have to ask anyway. Is it possible when vlite is installed on win XP (32bit) to create a Vista install disk for Vista 64bit? Second questiond vlite on vista 32 bit to create vista 64 bit install disk. My assumption is that vlite selects packages, but does not install any packages on the computer running vlite, so my assumption is, it should work......or I am completely wrong with this? Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Wolfgang

You can't create a x64 version of XP or Vista on an x86 system.

If you want to make x64 Vista, you need a x64 bit environment. I'm not sure why but that's the requirement. Try it your self. I tried it and it complained to me. So I had to install Vista x64, then vLite and reinstall with x64 Vista; or something like that. I can't remember. It was too long ago.

I had no problems vLiting a Vista 64-bit source on XP 32-bit or Vista 32-bit. I'm unsure why you couldn't.

; vLite preset file

;

;#Environment:

; vLite v1.2

; Framework 2.0.50727.1434

; Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 32-bit

;

;#Target:

; Windows Vista BUSINESS 64-bit Service Pack 1

; Version 6.0.6001.18000 English (United States)

;

Edited by redxii

You can create an x64 Vista on a x86 XP or Vista, what you can't do is integrate hotfixes or service packs. For that you need to be using an x64. But you can integrate drivers, remove components, make unattended settings and create the ISO.

Thanks, that makes sense, will try this out. I just want to reduce vista 64 to use more then 4 GB of RAM and just to run vmware workstation, SyncbackSe, program and free iSCSI NAS prgram (http://www.nexenta.com/corp/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=4&Itemid=128) to test ESXi inside workstation. My assumption is that a lot could be stripped from vista if only this programs need to run. Will do some tests.

//wolfgang

You can create an x64 Vista on a x86 XP or Vista, what you can't do is integrate hotfixes or service packs. For that you need to be using an x64. But you can integrate drivers, remove components, make unattended settings and create the ISO.

Yes, that is correct. Well put.

Guest rockyrockrock

How about updatepacks that contain hotfixes in them? Does it apply to them too, or is it only individual hotfixes?

I am thinking of trying vLite to slipstream Win7 x64. I have been using nLite on my XPx64 to SS both the XPx64 and x86 and have gotten them both to work well.

But, is there any way to get vLite to work (under my XPx64 environment) without this WIM filter? If not, can anyone give me some help how to install this .iso and where?

Edit: Never mind, after downloading the .iso, it automatically finds it and runs.

Thanks.

Edited by arpharazon