xpize 5 Beta 2

W3bbo

I have a request, what about Xpize Darkside? I know that that project has stoped...

any news about that?

Thanks

xpize 5 will include the black theme that was exclusive to XPize Darkside.

only the THEME? not the other resources like system logon/logout, screen, etc?

I have a request, what about Xpize Darkside? I know that that project has stoped...

any news about that?

Thanks

Edit: W3bbo cleared it up bellow

Edited by ricktendo64

any news about that?

Thanks

Sorry, yes, I meant everything. xpize 5 will include the dark wallpapers, wizard bitmaps, icons, etc. You can select which one during installation.

Is there any way to uninstall Xpize 5?

Since I installed it I have problems running Xfire (crashes on startup) and Team Fortress 2 (Crashes after loading). I suspect it has to do with Xpize, I reinstalled both Xfire and Team Fortress 2 already but it didn't solve the problem. Before I installed Xpize 5 i never had any of these problems.

Since I installed it I have problems running Xfire (crashes on startup) and Team Fortress 2 (Crashes after loading). I suspect it has to do with Xpize, I reinstalled both Xfire and Team Fortress 2 already but it didn't solve the problem. Before I installed Xpize 5 i never had any of these problems.

installation procces make by default restore point so it's the right way 2 remove XPize by turn system 2 previous state (it's named Anolis installation or something like that)

Hmm, that sounds serious.

As hood said below, a System Restore should sort it out.

In the meanwhile, can you tell us what error messages you're getting and if anything is written to TF2's startup log?

TF2 gave an error like:

tf2error.jpg

Just the second number was different.

I cannot find a startup log in the TF2 files, so I cant say anything about that.

I tried reinstalling my nvidia drivers, since i read somewhere they might cause the problem, but it didn't help.

I also tried using the restore point, but somehow Xpize is still installed? I used the restore point called Anolis something.

This didn't help either. Xfire still crashes, and Team Fortress 2 now crashes after loading without giving an error.

(It crashes after it has finished "Sending client info" when connecting to a server). Should I maybe use the restore-point before the Anolis one?

Xfire gives a whole report after crashing. I copied the first part of it, this is what seems most interesting:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<ExceptionReport Version="4">
<Application Build="36913" Command=""C:\Games\Misc\Xfire\xfire.exe" "/>
<OperatingSystem Type="2"><Version Major="5" Minor="1" Build="2600"/></OperatingSystem>
<Exception Code="C0000005" Address="7E1E381C"><Module Section="0001" Offset="0000281C" FileName="C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll"/></Exception>
<Registers EAX="7E1E9BE7" EBX="00000000" ECX="2AF36C1E" EDX="00000062" ESI="00000000" EDI="00000001" CS="001B" EIP="7E1E381C" SS="0023" ESP="0012D5A0" EBP="0012D5AC" DS="0023" ES="0023" FS="003B" GS="0000" Flags="00010246"/>
<BackTrace>
<Frame ProgramCounter="7E1E381C" StackAddress="0012D5A0" FrameAddress="0012D5AC">
<Module Section="0001" Offset="0000281C" FileName="C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll"/>
<StackHexDump From="0012D5A0" To="0012D5AC">8c d6 17 00 01 00 00 40 00 00 00 00</StackHexDump>
</Frame>
<Frame ProgramCounter="7E1E9BFE" StackAddress="0012D5A0" FrameAddress="0012D5C4">
<Module Section="0001" Offset="00008BFE" FileName="C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll"/>
<StackHexDump From="0012D5AC" To="0012D5C4">c4 d5 12 00 fe 9b 1e 7e 00 00 00 00 04 9c 1e 7e 00 00 00 00 a8 e6 12 00</StackHexDump>
</Frame>

After that, it's just a lot more of those frames.

Edited by emveedee

The exception is being thrown from within urlmon.dll. This file is modified by xpize 5 to replace the old padlock icons with the new ones. It's possible this may be the cause.

You'll need to grab a copy of urlmon.dll appropriate for your system (don't use the copy from your original Windows CD). I recommend creating a VM with XP SP3 then applying all the Windows Updates and copying the file over.

I'll put a warning on the website in the meanwhile. Thanks for the bug report.

Firstable, I'm happy that XPize is still alive, thanks for not killing the project.

I tried the latest beta of XPize and I'd like to say that I found the following bugs:

1.- I uncheck the option to patch batt.dll, batmeter.dll and uxtheme.dll but they got patched automatically. In the case of uxtheme.dll it made impossible to use the luna theme or any other visual style.

2.- The "Welcome Screen" got patched and I'd like to know what resource controls that because, personally, I don't like the up and down bars.

As a request I'd like to see the possibility of adding a torrent file icon and a FrostWire file icon.

Thx and nice work.

Cheers.

:thumbup

I don't have any experience running a VM, but I suppose i can just copy it from a different pc with XP SP3 and all updates.

Btw: did I do something wrong when i tried the restore function? I thought Xpize would be removed, and at first it seemed so,

because the bootscreen had been reset to the standard windows one, and also the login screen was different, but the theme wasn't removed.

I used the restorepoint called Anolis Xpize installed or something, should I have used the one before that? Or is there maybe a bug in that too?

Firstable, I'm happy that XPize is still alive, thanks for not killing the project.

I tried the latest beta of XPize and I'd like to say that I found the following bugs:

1.- I uncheck the option to patch batt.dll, batmeter.dll and uxtheme.dll but they got patched automatically. In the case of uxtheme.dll it made impossible to use the luna theme or any other visual style.

2.- The "Welcome Screen" got patched and I'd like to know what resource controls that because, personally, I don't like the up and down bars.

As a request I'd like to see the possibility of adding a torrent file icon and a FrostWire file icon.

Thx and nice work.

Cheers.

:thumbup

The checkboxes in the treeview on the Modify Package page have no effect in this beta.

The Welcome Screen is in logonui.exe although xpize 5 doesn't overwrite it, instead it's re-saved as logonui_xpize.exe. Just open it up in Resourcer and you'll see the bitmaps to replace.

I'll look into providing a *.torrent file icon, but there isn't much point since all the major clients provide their own.

Edited by W3bbo

I don't have any experience running a VM, but I suppose i can just copy it from a different pc with XP SP3 and all updates.

Btw: did I do something wrong when i tried the restore function? I thought Xpize would be removed, and at first it seemed so,

because the bootscreen had been reset to the standard windows one, and also the login screen was different, but the theme wasn't removed.

I used the restorepoint called Anolis Xpize installed or something, should I have used the one before that? Or is there maybe a bug in that too?

Running System Restore should restore all of your DLL files to their original state, including urlmon, but not things like Visual Styles since they're not system files. Can you open up system32\urlmon.dll in Resourcer and tell me if the padlock icons have been reverted to their original files or not?

Due to Windows File Protection in Windows XP you won't be able to replace urlmon.dll normally, you'll need to do it by booting into BartPE or Knoppix first.

I did a system restoration to the restore point before the Anolis one. This solved the problem. Xfire works again, and TF2 works again as well.

I don't know how to use the resourcer, and I don't know BartPE or Knoppix either (heard about it though), so I just tried this option. If you want to know something else let me know.