Official support for IE8

direx

Hello everyone!

I am using an x64 version of Windows XP SP2 and I want to slipsltream the GERMAN x64 version of IE8 into my installation disc. I know there are a couple of update packs for IE8 around, but obviously there cannot be an update pack for every single language-architecture combination out there (I have not found a GERMAN x64 version yet).

And this is my question: is "official" support for IE8 planned for n-lite? Will a new version be released soon?

- direx

Well, I know there are AddOns.

But I want to fully integrate IE8 (aka "slipstream") into my XP source. I do not want a silent setup.exe or whatsoever.

Does anybody have a hint how to accomplish this?

- direx

direx and bugmenot, I too have been looking for one and as far as I know, it does not exist. I have been trying to learn how to do this for some time, including asking for guidance on the RyanVM forum. It seems that making a 'true'/'slipstream' AddOn is knowledge reserved for the cognoscenti and guarded closely. I tried my first attempt today and was amazed that nLite did not complain, but I got a 'Setup cannot proceed...' error during install. I will continue to try, but I cannot say when, if ever, I will have an IE8 Slipstream AddOn for x64. I encourage all to go to the RyanVM forum and read the tutorials on making AddOns and creating entries.ini files. With many on the job, perhaps we can be successful. Good luck all, John.

The information is not particularly guarded or reserved. We just don't have a lot of time to share what we know. :P

I've been working off and on toward a slipstreamed IE8 addon of my own for x64 English. It's not easy. I have sorted the 220+ files into new/existing and tinkered with update.inf a bit to see what I could accomplish. I have not been successful yet, but it has been a few days since my last attempt. I may return to it once again before my hunt for new updates for my update pack.

I can't guarantee that I'll ever finish a working addon, but I can assure you that I have been working on it. ;)

EDIT [2009/05/09 06:50 UTC]: A test addon is currently working with RVMi. I'm not sure if a final version will be ready for Patch Tuesday's release window. Here's my "to do" list:

• Test with nLite.
  • Clean up/streamline main INF.
  • Find a way to deal with the following errors in SetupErr.log:
    Error:
    Setup could not register the OLE Control %FILE% because of the following error:
    GetProcAddress returned error 127 (the specified procedure could not be found).

...such that %FILE% equals:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\mshtml.dll
    %SystemRoot%\system32\msrating.dll
    %SystemRoot%\system32\inseng.dll
    %SystemRoot%\system32\occache.dll
    %SystemRoot%\system32\webcheck.dll
    %SystemRoot%\system32\imgutil.dll
    %SystemRoot%\system32\pngfilt.dll
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\msrating.dll
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\inseng.dll
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\occache.dll
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\webcheck.dll
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\imgutil.dll
    %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\pngfilt.dll

Edited by 5eraph

• 2 weeks later...

direx, I suggest you DL 5eraph's Slipstream AddOn, extract it and replace the appropriate files and make the appropriate changes, then 7-Zip it back into a valid AddOn. Enjoy, John.

Give it a shot, direx. You will find the full file list sorted in 5erIE8.inf under [sourceDisksFiles] with some helpful notes on certain files. You may need to replace the [Product.Add.Reg] and [Product.Del.Reg] sections with the ones in your localized IE8 update package (IE8-WindowsServer2003-x64-DEU.exe) in update.inf.

You can find IE.inf in your Windows source. It must be modified to show the proper version number when clicking "About Internet Explorer" in the Help menu of IE8. Please see the attached patch file for those changes.

IE.inf.patch.txt

I used CAB Tool to pack IE8.CAB—you'll need to replace all MUI files within, and the IEFrame.dll.mui files outside the CAB as well. Kelsenellenelvian posted an alternate CAB Tool download location if you don't have a tool like it already.

I have good news. I testet 5eraph's AddOn and slipstreamed the IE8 German MUI pack into my XP source as well. Now I have a fully slipstreamed German IE 8. Thanks a lot people!

I figured that it is not possible at all to install any non-English IE8 on XP x64 as this version of Windoze XP is an English-only release. You'll always need to install MUI packs for language customizations.