Windows Vista with IE8 ftp problems

mattffrost

I am running Windows Vista with IE8 and now I can not download files from various ftp websites. I think its a FTP issue. If I try to type in ftp://ftp.hp.com I get a broswer error of can not display web page. This worked with ie7 since I updated to IE this has busted. I have tried stopping the firewall service with no luck. I have tried configuring ie8 browser settings like enalbe ftp folder view and use passive ftp wiht no luck.

Just wondering if anyone out there can get to ftp://ftp.hp.com with IE8. Thank you.

Matt

I noticed the same thing as soon as I switched to IE8. I sometimes host files on my computer for friends and family, and I would let them log in via FTP. But now, I have to let them know not to use IE8. Otherwise they can't connect. I'm sure there's a setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted, but don't know where to look. If anyone has some suggestions, please post. Thanks.

Ideally, we'd have a network trace to look at (i.e. wireshark capture), then we could tell what the problem is in the first place. I'll probably have a look tonight.

Edit: I can't reproduce the problem after updating to IE8 (haven't changed any settings). It works fine. We got nothing to work from here, so there ain't much we can do. My best guess right now is what cluberti said: an addon causing problems.

I was able to get to a few FTP sites, including hp's, from IE8. Sounds like perhaps you have an add-on loaded causing the problem? I'm with CoffeeFiend that we probably need some more info, as I verified on 3 installs (IE8 on XP, IE8 on Vista, and IE8 on Win7 RC) that it works, so IE8 is capable.

On my home Vista computer I updated ie7 to ie8 and I can get to ftp://ftp.hp.com. The problem happened in a work machine in a new build. It has to be some setting that is causing this. My upgrading ie7 to ie8 my current ie7 setting that ie8 used allowed me to get to the website.

It can be confirmed ie8 can get to the site, now its finding in some cased why it does not. If I find out I will post my findings.

Matt