Mirroring c:?

newsposter

I must have taken a long drink from the Stupid Bottle this morning, but for the life of me I can't get my C: to mirror to another available drive.

My D: mirrored just fine.

Help, hints, antidote appreciated!

Thanks

2 things - one, you must have a second disk that's at least the same size as the volume you want to mirror, and two, you won't get this to work from within Windows once it's configured on a boot volume, or at least not without configuring the disks to be dynamic disks, as you cannot mirror a basic boot volume once Windows is running, only dynamic disks - this has been a requirement since Windows 2003, and obviously, hardware RAID is preferred to a dynamic disk RAID in Windows.

Ahhhh, I forgot the deal with basic/dynamic disks. That's exactly what I've got here.

For the record, the drives I'd *like* to mirror are the same model adn capacity, identical.

Is here anyway to downgrade a dynamic disk to a basic disk?

Yes, but I wouldn't personally do it. Windows has no such feature, although there are third party products that claim to be able to do it. Again, I'd consider it a one-way street. You're using Windows for RAID, so I'm not sure I'd worry about it if you have a good backup strategy anyway, as Windows for RAID instead of a hardware RAID card is not what I'd recommend either, but if you're just testing it should be fine.