Files that Vista couldn't copy, but XP can?

bizzybody

I attempted to copy a Windows 95 install from one disk to another using Vista. It balked at copying several different files. I then hooked the drives up to an XP box and it copied everything with no problems.

In both cases the drives were connected to USB>IDE adapters.

I wonder if this may be related to the problem where I can't get Vista to copy any files over ethernet to a shared drive on a Windows 95 system?

(Copying a Win9x install is simple. fdisk/format/sys the new drive then copy *everything* except IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM to the new drive. YES you want to overwrite MSDOS.SYS and anything else.)

Data execution prevention possibly? The files could be blacklisted from the OS for support reasons, i.e. one might muck up their system on accident with them. I've noticed some issues with Vista blacklisting some files myself though they were files that Microsoft would prefer I not use as they allow me to violate something I vaguely remember seeing in a text window about an agreement or some such s***. Turning off DEP did not resolve my own issues, but in your case it may.

IIRC, the first one was an .inf in Windows\inf then there was another one. Said something about it couldn't access the files. It's bloody stupid is what it is.

An Operating System should be able to copy any file from one disk or other storage media to another disk or storage media!

Score one (more) point for XP over Vista.