HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Adapter

mabarezu

Hi

I have got the newest WAIK (Vista SP1 and W2008). It comes with a good documentation. Unfortunately, nothing is perfect. I can't integrate the Braodcom driver for a "HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Adapter Port 1" in WinPE. I think I got the right driver. But my WinPE doesn't see the adapter. It's rather complex to integrate network drivers which are not already included in WAIK. If you provide some help I will appreciate. ;-)

mabarezu

Welcome to the MSFN!

:hello:

Do a quick test. Boot off a usb key or boot disk or something to DOS. Then run PCISCAN (pciscan -v) to show the devices. Verify that the NIC appears in that list.

Some Broadcom and Realtek NICs are virtual devices and do not work with Win PE at the moment.

Can you also post the hardware id of this NIC? You can get this from PCISCAN or if you have one of these with Windows installed on it.

Hi Tripredacus

Thank you for your help. I'll do the test next monday.

Where can I get pciscan? I have installed Windows Server 2008 on the server.

I can send you the output of devcon. devcon works on Windows server 2008.

mabarezu

Hi

I used devcon.exe of the Support Tools of Windows XP.

The tool has found the following devices (of Braodcom):

- B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_16AC14E4&SUBSYS_703B103C&REV_12\6&32542D20&0&20050500: Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2

- B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_16AC14E4&SUBSYS_703B103C&REV_12\6&35FAB5A&0&20050300: Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client)

- PCI\VEN_1166&DEV_0104&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_B2\5&1F0A9A70&0&200060: ServerWorks (Broadcom) HT-1000 HT-PCI-X Bridge

- PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1679&SUBSYS_703C103C&REV_A3\5&694839E&0&200068: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Fiber

- PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1679&SUBSYS_703C103C&REV_A3\5&694839E&0&210068: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Fiber #2

- PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16AC&SUBSYS_703B103C&REV_12\5&152D94AC&0&000060: Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE

- PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16AC&SUBSYS_703B103C&REV_12\5&925A19&0&000058: Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE

Windows Server 2008 has a driver for all of these devices.

WinPE 2.1 has a driver for PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1679&SUBSYS_703C103C&REV_A3\5&694839E&0&210068.

Unfortunately there isn't any driver for B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_16AC14E4&SUBSYS_703B103C&REV_12\6&35FAB5A&0&20050300.

We want to use the second one.

HP has a special driver for "HP NC-Series Multifunction Drivers for RIS/WinPE". The same driver can be found at the site of

Braodcom. Broadcom calls the driver "Windows Remote Installation Service (RIS) Drivers".

Broadcom says: Due to limitations in Microsoft's operating systems not supporting the Virtual Bus Device architecture of the NetXtreme II 1 Gigabit adapter under certain circumstances, separate drivers were created to address these limitations. The NetXtreme II monolithic "RIS" driver allows the adapter to behave similarly to standard network adapters and only provides network connectivity without the advanced offerings of the device. The monolithic driver should be used for connectivity during the text mode portion of a RIS installation (by placing in the I386 or AMD64 platform directory), in a Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), and for the agent used for Microsoft's Automated Deployment Services (ADS).

Braodcom offers drivers that are called "Windwos 2000 - RIS" and "Windows Server 2003 - RIS"

I have chosen "Windows Server 2003 - RIS", but it didn't work. Probably, I made some faults.

mabarezu

Yes it is as I feared. You can tell from the HwID, that items starting with PCI/ are physical devices, while any others (in most cases, or like the others you listed) are virtual. Which means they are controlled by software, or the BIOS, or are emulated.

This is true. These types of adapters do not work in Win PE 1.x or 2.x so far that I have been able to determine. The Device I mentioned earlier also uses the Virtual Bus. The problem is that the device is not enumerated in a way that the PE can make use of it.

I have no solution for this issue, and have yet to find any hope. We ran into these types of NICs a while ago, and we made a good note to stay away from them when possible until a solution could be found. In case I do have to work with one, I have to use an additional PCI NIC if possible, or worst case scenario image the drive in another computer, then move it back and boot it up in its own hardware.

:no:

With PE1.6 they work with the special driver without problems.

Unfortunally I don't have an blades to test on currently so I can't test PE 2.X.

I would contact HP about this and see if they got a fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

No progess. Sometimes life can be hard and cruel. :rolleyes: Does anybody now some tricks?

Tricks that worked with older versions of windows pe?

Probably they work with pe2.1 as well.

Question 1:

I installed the driver with the following command:

peimg /inf=C:\test\mount\hpDrivers\b06nd.inf c:\test\mount\windows

But I can not find the dirver file b06nd51x.sys under the windows directory.

Is this normal?

Qeustion 2:

WPINIT in STARTNET.CMD loads plug and play drivers, I expected.

But my driver isn't loaded by WPINIT.

Question 3:

I loaded the factory settings of the bios, no change.

Are there some hardware tricks?

Mabarezu

Hi

Thank you.

We have the following bios: A13-05/29/2008

Today I found the error. I made a stupid decision and never thought about changing it. Sometimes it is hard to find the error.

There is a batch of WAIK, that is called copype.cmd

I used:

call copype.cmd amd64 c:\test

I should have used:

call copype.cmd x86 c:\test

Now every thing work properly.

A big success! But also a lot of absurd work. ;-)))

mabarezu

Edited by mabarezu

I have used the following software:

Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008

(6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso)

HP SmartStart Scripting Toolkit Windows Edition

(SP40551.EXE)

• 6 months later...

Hey all,

And sorry for ressing an old thread but I'm beginning to be desperate. >.< I'm having much trouble at trying to get HP 6005 Pro SFF through AIK. I know I have the right driver for it's broadcom NIC and the problems described here seem to be the ones I am currently having. I'd like to ask if anyone has any more info on how to solve these probs? And furthermore mabarezu, what did you after doing what you described in the quote? I did the same and my problem didn't magically solve itself. :D Where do you from here after doing what you described? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

Thank you.

We have the following bios: A13-05/29/2008

Today I found the error. I made a stupid decision and never thought about changing it. Sometimes it is hard to find the error.

There is a batch of WAIK, that is called copype.cmd

I used:

call copype.cmd amd64 c:\test

I should have used:

call copype.cmd x86 c:\test

Now every thing work properly.

A big success! But also a lot of absurd work. ;-)))

mabarezu

This particular problem is with certain Broadcom and N-Force onboard NICs. An example of a device (Broadcom) was posted earlier:

B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_16AC14E4&SUBSYS_703B103C&REV_12\6&32542D20&0&20050500: Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) #2

- B06BDRV\L2ND&PCI_16AC14E4&SUBSYS_703B103C&REV_12\6&35FAB5A&0&20050300: Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client)

Any Physical hardware component gets a physical hardware ID that typically starts with PCI\. Other hardware (including this Broadcom) are virtual devices, or to say they have their roots as being software emulated by the BIOS or elsewhere on the motherboard. Other types of virtual devices can begin with ACPI\ (ie: TPM) and USB\ (ie: laptop webcam). With the exception of specific driver support, I have never found a physically mapped NIC to not work in WinPE. Another possible way to detect a virtual device is where its IRQ is outside that provided by the motherboard, typically above 16.

I had first encountered a similar problem with Ghost, which is what I had used to deal with these NICs. Ghost would reveal to me that the actual device is not always "present" or enumerated at the time I would load the driver for it. This is to say that the NIC has a different HwID at the time of POST, then the BIOS enables the device and then registers/enumerates the virtual HwID. This process could take any sort of time, depending on other components, quality of RAM, and motherboard model. Typical time is 10-30 seconds. Of course my Ghost implementation boots to DOS, which is a LOT faster boot time than any version of WinPE.

However, perhaps a lead for you guys to try out. This may not be the correct page for you, so make sure you check it out first. But I find this info:

Due to limitations in Microsoft's operating systems not supporting the Virtual Bus Device architecture of the NetXtreme II 1 Gigabit adapter under certain circumstances, separate drivers were created to address these limitations. The NetXtreme II monolithic "RIS" driver allows the adapter to behave similarly to standard network adapters and only provides network connectivity without the advanced offerings of the device. The monolithic driver should be used for connectivity during the text mode portion of a RIS installation (by placing in the I386 or AMD64 platform directory), in a Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE), and for the agent used for Microsoft's Automated Deployment Services (ADS).

Of course this is for NetXtreme II NICs. And in addition, it only refers to RIS, not WDS and only provides drivers for Windows 2000, 2003 and 2003 x64. The trick will be to find a Vista or Windows 7 "monolithic" driver to inject into the PE.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php