x64 & WMP

oioldman

Why do M$ think that under the x64 version you would want to use the x86 version by default? as this is the one they put on the start menu.

Seems pretty stupid to me, but they do include an x64 as well.

That is even more stupid. Include both an x86 & x64 version of the same application on x64........

some stupid logic or what

sorry, just a rant.

changed shortcut to point to x64 one and deleted the default taskbar icon for it, again another stupid concept.

And in general, Microsoft has no control over non-Microsoft codecs. Hence why there's an x86 version of WMP on x64, and it's the default - similar to the way x86 IE is the default on x64 Windows, due to controls not under Microsoft's control generally being x86-only.

which was developed and released by M$ if i'm not mistaken, and as such why the laziness to make an x64 activex control.

i think it is a case of;

manufacturers: nobody uses x64 so why make suitable apps

end users: we don't use x64 because you don't make suitable apps

chicken and egg situation

which was developed and released by M$ if i'm not mistaken, and as such why the laziness to make an x64 activex control.
Well, considering all versions of Windows since XP don't actually need to use the browser for WU anymore (and since Vista in 2006, you cannot at all), why spend the money to develop and test an x64 control that virtually no one will actually use? Until Vista, more people used Win98 than used an x64 version of Windows. Not wanting to pay to develop something no one will use isn't lazy, it's good business sense and is fiscally responsible with basically no effect negatively on the market. There was never a need for an x64 version of the WU controls, period.

As to this, I agree - until Microsoft forces x64 Windows and deals with the backlash of incompatible apps, there will always be vendors still writing x86-only versions of software. I think x64 Vista and the upcoming Win7 gives Microsoft enough cushion to pull the x86 line off the market in Win8 (which they've said many times they will do, and Win7 is the last Windows to ship with an x86 client version) and force vendors to start writing x64 apps. Most major antivirus, antispyware, and firewall apps now come with x64 versions, and Microsoft finally has an x64 Office version to go along with all the other server and client apps they make x64, so I do truly think Win7 will be the last bastion of x86 - but, as with everything, once a version of Windows ships with an x64-only client, there will still be folks who have x86-only software and they'll be screaming (here and elsewhere) about how Microsoft is breaking their apps unnecessarily, etc.

Chicken and egg, indeed, but it's definitely more complex than that.

but x64 os isn't exactly new to the market in any form, especially xp form.

yes it did change in vista, and it is better i think - easier to use more than anything

also agree that w7 will probably be last x86 os, which is no bad thing as hardware has been pushing forwards much more

Chicken and egg, indeed, but it's definitely more complex than that.

I'd have to say, we're getting there. MS is out for profit. Most people use x86 and their biggest product is Office. It's MORE PROFITABLE for them to continue x86 line right now. But with the next office, if rumors are correct, they are releasing x64.

So, it's a slow process but the tides are turning. And hopefully within a few years, x64 will be more profitable for MS and other software companies.

I'd have to say, we're getting there. MS is out for profit. Most people use x86 and their biggest product is Office. It's MORE PROFITABLE for them to continue x86 line right now. But with the next office, if rumors are correct, they are releasing x64.

Rumors are correct, x64 has been around since the alpha versions.