Opera 9.64 silent install?

Jito463

I've tried a number of different options, but I can't seem to make Opera install silently. In fact, when I try, it just launches like it's going to install, then stops doing anything.

I've tried using the classic installer with /s, doesn't work.

I've tried the regular installer with

/s

/s /v/qn

/s /v/qn /V ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=1 MULTI_USER_SETTING=0 (also with 1)

I've tried the MSI file from the regular installer with

/qn

/qn ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=1 MULTI_USER_SETTING=0 (also with 1)

/passive /qn ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=1 MULTI_USER_SETTING=0 (also with 1)

msiexec.exe /i <Opera_964.msi> /passive /qn ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=1 MULTI_USER_SETTING=0 (also with 1)

None of these work. Any suggestions? Occassionally I have to reinstall Windows on a customer's machine, and I'd like to add Opera to my silent installs. I already have FireFox silent from another link here, but can't seem to get Opera to work.

*EDIT*

Bah, never mind. In my attempt to try many different options, I didn't bother to check between each attempt to see if anything was installed. It had got installed at some point, but didn't create any shortcuts. Going back to the classic installer with /s after making sure all traces were removed fixed the problem. Hopefully this will help someone else down the road.

Edited by Jito463

These comands work in a batch file, using msi file (grab from Temp folder):

msiexec /i "Opera installer.msi" /qb! /norestart CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 ALLUSERS=1

or

msiexec /i "Opera installer.msi" /qb! /norestart MULTI_USER_SETTING=0 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 ALLUSERS=1

Edited by radix

Yeah, the classic installers by default sets all icons, but the MSI installer dosen't set any icons and hence, needs to be defined on the command-line(btw, for MSIs, then you can safely skip the 'msiexec /i').

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to illustrate how I make my silent/pre-configured Opera installation, so that others maybe can benefit from it...

First, I install Opera, and change 'multi user=1' to 'Multi User=0' in "%programfiles%\Opera\operadef6.ini"(this will make the profile and mail folders as subfolders of the Opera program folder, instead of adding them as two additional folders in '%appdata%' and '%usersettings%\Local Settings\Application Data'), and then I start Opera and configure the browser and mail client as i please.

Then I make a folder named 'profile' and in there i make two subfolders named 'profile' and 'mail'.

I then copy the following files over to the profile folder/subfolders:

From '%programfiles%\Opera\profile' to 'profile\profile':

• opera6.ini ;general settings.
  • opera6.adr ;bookmarks.
  • speeddial.ini ;speedial.
  • cookies4.dat ;cookies.
  • wand.dat ;passwords.
  • contacts.adr ;contacts.

From '%programfiles%\Opera\mail' to 'profile\mail':

• accounts.ini ;mail-accounts settings.
  • signature1.txt ;signature - I delete the text in this file(by default an advert for opera), as else that text will be used as a signature in the bottom of all the mails you send.

From '%programfiles%\Opera\program\plugins' to 'profile':

• NPSWF32.dll ;Flash Player plugin - just download the installer and extract it to get that file.

Then i place the Opera classic installer, the profile folder and the following INF into a folder named Opera_v9.64:

[Version]
Signature=$Windows NT$

[DefaultInstall]
RunPreSetupCommands=runpresetupcommands
CopyFiles=copyfiles1,copyfiles2,copyfiles3
UpdateInis=updateinis
AddReg=addreg

[DestinationDirs]
copyfiles1=16422,Opera\profile
copyfiles2=16422,Opera\mail
copyfiles3=16422,Opera\program\plugins

[copyfiles1]
opera6.ini,profile\profile\opera6.ini
opera6.adr,profile\profile\opera6.adr
speeddial.ini,profile\profile\speeddial.ini
cookies4.dat,profile\profile\cookies4.dat
wand.dat,profile\profile\wand.dat
contacts.adr,profile\profile\contacts.adr

[copyfiles2]
accounts.ini,profile\mail\accounts.ini
signature1.txt,profile\mail\signature1.txt

[copyfiles3]
NPSWF32.dll,profile\NPSWF32.dll

[updateinis]
"%16422%\Opera\operadef6.ini",System,"Multi User=1","Multi User=0"

[addreg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm",,0x0,"Opera.HTML"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\.html",,0x0,"Opera.HTML"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\.mht",,0x0,"Opera.HTML"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\.mhtml",,0x0,"Opera.HTML"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\.xht",,0x0,"Opera.HTML"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\.xhtm",,0x0,"Opera.HTML"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\.xhtml",,0x0,"Opera.HTML"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\http","EditFlags",0x1,02,00,00,00
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\http\shell\open\command",,0x0,"""%16422%\Opera\opera.exe"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\http\shell\open\ddeexec",,0x0,"""%%1"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\http\shell\open\ddeexec\Application",,0x0,"Opera"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\https","EditFlags",0x1,02,00,00,00
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\https\shell\open\command",,0x0,"""%16422%\Opera\opera.exe"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\https\shell\open\ddeexec",,0x0,"""%%1"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\https\shell\open\ddeexec\Application",,0x0,"Opera"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Opera.HTML",,0x0,"HTML Document"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Opera.HTML\DefaultIcon",,0x0,"%16422%\Opera\opera.exe,1"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Opera.HTML\shell\open\command",,0x0,"""%16422%\Opera\opera.exe"" ""%%1"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Opera.Image",,0x0,"Image"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Opera.Image\shell\open\command",,0x0,"""%16422%\Opera\opera.exe"" ""%%1"""
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet",,0x0,"Opera.exe"

[runpresetupcommands]
Opera_964_classic_Setup.exe /s

Note: It's an 'Advanced INF' and hence needs to be installed through advpack.dll and not through e.g. rightclick\Install:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection install.inf,,1

PS: Here's an INF which will add an extra rightclick context-menu option for INF files named 'Install (advpack)':

[Version]
Signature=$Windows NT$

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=addreg

[addreg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\inffile\shell\Install (advpack)\command","",,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %1,,1"

And in .reg file syntax:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\inffile\shell\Install (advpack)\command]
@="rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %1,,1"

Edited by Martin H

These comands work in a batch file, using msi file (grab from Temp folder):

msiexec /i "Opera installer.msi" /qb! /norestart CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 ALLUSERS=1

or

msiexec /i "Opera installer.msi" /qb! /norestart MULTI_USER_SETTING=0 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 ALLUSERS=1

This works for me!

but for the en setup only. not for the international setup..

This works for me!

but for the en setup only. not for the international setup..

It works for int. setup, but need to extract the installer with 7-Zip, and run first from Opera Installer.exe. On first screen, choose your language, let say French (France), hit Ok and wait the next window, then go to %temp% and copy from one of those folders two files: Opera installer.msi and 1036.MST (needed for french lang).

@echo off
start /wait msiexec /i "Opera installer.msi" /qb! /norestart MULTI_USER_SETTING=0 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 ALLUSERS=1 TRANSFORMS="1036.MST"
exit

or

@echo off
start /wait msiexec /i "Opera installer.msi" /qb! /norestart MULTI_USER_SETTING=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 ALLUSERS=1 TRANSFORMS="1036.MST"
exit

Don't know why to complicate what it't easy.[...]

If you are reffering to me, then the INF and filelist where posted for showing how to have Opera silently installed + pre-configured, like with i.e mail accounts, contacs, speed-dial etc.

• 3 months later...

Here Updated Switches for Opera 10:

/L1033 /S /V"/qb ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG_USR=0 MULTI_USER_SETTING=1"

english 1033

german 1031

french 1036

italian 1040

spanish 1034

• 3 months later...

I am trying to make Dutch installers of Opera 10.1 and Opera 10.2.

I extracted the .MSI.

When I put this in my config.txt (making swithless installer):

opera10.msi /qb ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=1 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=1 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG_USR=0 MULTI_USER_SETTING=1

It installs in English. Also I dont see transforms file.

I searched for "1043.MST" since that is Dutch, but I cant find it, they changed it in v10?

edit:

When I use original installer and call it like this from a cmd:

@echo off
start /wait Opera_1010_in_Setup.exe /L1043 /S /V"/qb ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG_USR=0 MULTI_USER_SETTING=1"
exit

Its working! :)

Edited by Raoul90

It installs in English. Also I dont see transforms file.

I searched for "1043.MST" since that is Dutch, but I cant find it, they changed it in v10?

It seems like they are not used anymore.

Post just above yours (coloured for your convenience)

Here Updated Switches for Opera 10:

/L1033 /S /V"/qb ALLUSERS=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON=1 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_DESKTOP_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG=0 CREATE_QUICKLAUNCH_ICON_REG_USR=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG=0 CREATE_STARTMENU_ICONS_REG_USR=0 MULTI_USER_SETTING=1"

english 1033

german 1031

french 1036

italian 1040

spanish 1034

have you tried with /L1043?

jaclaz