Vista 32-bit Image Deployment Issue

Hello,

We're currently having an issue deploying our Vista w/SP1 32-bit image using WDS on a Dell PowerEdge 2800 server running Windows Server 2003 SP1. Here are the two error messages during deployment:

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code : 0x800703E6

OR

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code : 0x800706F8

I've research the error codes and it boils down to a file copy error with a system's DVD-ROM drive. But this is occurring during image deployment over the network. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Rob

1. How much memory on the server and on the client?

2. Are you using any unattend files with WDS, either the WDSClientUnattend on the server properties, or the unattend on the install images?

3. Does this happen with all clients?

4. How many clients are you attempting to boot to the WDS at a time?

In my experience, Server 2003 with 1GB of RAM can only deploy to 4 clients at once, adding additional clients (I tried up to 8) causes random errors, lock ups, or extreme deployment delays. Fortunately, this was only done in a pilot environment, and I recommended a Server 2008 machine to be used in production. This is because Server 2003 does not support multicast and Server 2008 does.

Client has 4GB RAM and the server has 2GB RAM.

We're using both unattend answer files.

Yes it happens with all clients (desktops or laptops).

So far the guys have only tried two machines - an OptiPlex 760 and a Latitude D620.

We're aware of the unicast issue with Server 2003. Currently for large Vista deployments, our operations team has a laptop configured with Server 2008 and multi-cast. The remote site server has WDS installed for machines that need re-imaging.

I'm wondering if it may have to do with the fact that the server's using the onboard Broadcom NIC versus the Intel PRO1000 dual-port NIC. I may have the guys in Sydney swap NICs and test. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

You can use PEIMG to put the Broadcom driver into the boot.wim. Be aware that I have had issues with the B57 driver from them. Make sure to use the Vista 32bit driver. If you are not sure about the driver, grab the Vista LAN pack from Driverpacks.net.