[Question] InstallRite...

Deevious

I've been using this program for a while and I was thinking of using it for silent application installs for my Unattended Windows install, but I have a few problems / questions about it (and hopefully you guys can help):

- Can you use a variable for file locations? (Instead of making it C:\)

- Is it possible to change the resulting .exe's icon without corrupting the installer?

- Can the installer's size be compressed any further?

... Or would it be better to use another program altogether? I love InstallRite because it is extremely easy to use, and WinINSTALL only deals with .msi's (unless I am mistaken).

[Edit] Is it possible to use the file list from InstallRite to copy those files and locations for use in a SFX file? I know I can do the registry that way... Sorry, I'm new to this. :)

Edited by Deevious

When you build the installer, in Options window click Install Subtitutions and check Allow Relocation, then check Quiet installation mode and Never reboot even if needed.

I tried to change icon and version info with ResHacker and result in an invalid file.

Also I tried with upx and PECompact to recompress the exe build by InstallRite and not working.

If you stick with InstallRite, is better to use it in a clean virtual machine for every setup you build.

To anyone randomly reading this topic that thinks it is too long, just skip down to the bold part (it's where I really want/need help).

When you build the installer, in Options window click Install Subtitutions and check Allow Relocation,
Ah, so that will change the drive letter automatically if Windows is, say, installed on D:\ instead of C:\? (thanks!)
then check Quiet installation mode and Never reboot even if needed.
I have done that, which makes a perfectly silent installation (EXACTLY what I was/am after).
I tried to change icon and version info with ResHacker and result in an invalid file.
That is what I have read, which is why I did not even attempt to do so.
Also I tried with upx and PECompact to recompress the exe build by InstallRite and not working.
I tried to extract the files (like you) and got an error about there either being no data or it being corrupt. So even repacking it won't work? Well f*ck, that was the main thing I was after... The install kit that InstallRite makes is 42.1 MB, vs 26.6 MB for the combined size of the other installers (I'm combining K-Lite Codec Pack, QT Alternative & Plugin, and Real Alternative into one installer)... The compression of the files just seems horrible. I even tried to compress the *.exe even further using WinRAR and 7-Zip, but it only reduced the size by 1.1 MB.

I can use InstallRite to export a list of registry additions/changes to a *.reg file... Is there any way (through this program or another, it doesn't matter) to do the same thing with files? I know that there are MULTIPLE install makers out there, but most of them require extensive work to get all of the files and registry changes included. So, I need something that would:

a.) Record all changes made to files/registry on a system automatically (like InstallRite)

b.) Allow me to make changes to those lists (to remove erroneous files or registry addresses that needn't be altered)

b.) Then *easily* create an installer that is *well compressed*.

Anyone know of a program that can do this? Free or not, I'm willing to pay because I have multiple programs I want to repackage... Quite a few don't have an ability to be silently installed, or do but the default options are NOT what I want (contain a lot of bloated crap).

If you stick with InstallRite, is better to use it in a clean virtual machine for every setup you build.
I am using a virtual machine, and I have a savestate that I reload each time I (try to) make an installer... The savestate reverts my system back to vanilla, except for InstallRite being installed.

Why you don't use switches to silent install applications and after installation apply registry settings from a reg, cmd or inf file? Almost all programs can be configured from such methods, but you need to discover where is stored those settings (registry, ini file or else). For this you can use wininstall le, regshot, systracer. Repackage with programs like installrite is not a good option (some installers may be work different in Vista then XP for example).

• 2 years later...

Hi Radix,

"When you build the installer, in Options window click Install Subtitutions and check Allow Relocation"

When I select that option to create the install kit and run the kit it installs to the drive and folder from where it is run from.

• 1 month later...

InstallRite is good. I also tried to change icon. But I think it is not possible. This icon is also placed in InstallRite.exe file. I tried both. Another question is compress size. It is really a matter of backup full installation. So compressing is also not so easy matter. Because All kinds of software is increased after installation.

For this you can use wininstall le, regshot, systracer. Repackage with programs like installrite is not a good option (some installers may be work different in Vista then XP for example).

Very good advise.