Vista service pack 2 RTM

hclarkjr

I know some have legitimate access. (I had a msdn account myself) and to those I apologize.

HOWEVER the 2 guys it this thread have admitted to downloading it from torrents or "Other means" Not the SP either but the FULL disk.

Being lazy = not learning to slipstream\integrate for yourself and just grabbing the nearest version off the net. 95% or more of the time the torrent downloads include keys or other software. Also why not just wait 10 days really? Is your life going to end in 9 and you HAVE to try\use it by then?

Point of note. MSDN and MS official XP SP3 CD's contain @10 completely useless files and Vista w\sp2 might have useless files too. You never know untill you get dirty and try it for yourself.

Like this = http://msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=23281 and BlackXP where the maker has integrated spyware that earns him money from your installation.

Getting it off torrents seems like a very small thing but nearly every client out there you cannot disable the sharing ability so you are perpetuating the problems while downloading them. I was a very big warez user for a long time. (Then a "Friend" in a blue suit looked through my disk case and had some very nice words for me.)

As it stands in the U.S. and several other countries unless you have the original disk and can show it on demand your archive copy is illegal. Like copying movies off VHS or DVD yeah one or two doesn't seem like much but each one can net you severe penalties.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Like this = http://msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=23281 and BlackXP where the maker has integrated spyware that earns him money from your installation.

That's why it's important to know the correct hash values and not to use anything that doesn't match.

Getting it off torrents seems like a very small thing but nearly every client out there you cannot disable the sharing ability so you are perpetuating the problems while downloading them. I was a very big warez user for a long time. (Then a "Friend" in a blue suit looked through my disk case and had some very nice words for me.)

As it stands in the U.S. and several other countries unless you have the original disk and can show it on demand your archive copy is illegal. Like copying movies off VHS or DVD yeah one or two doesn't seem like much but each one can net you severe penalties.

I said "as long as you own a valid license". Due the current crappy economy my company canceled its msdn subscription. That doesn't mean that our hundreds of OS licenses still aren't legal. I've seen no where in the EULA that I have to download the software from MS and not anywhere else. If you can show me proof of your claim I'll gladly concede.

I don't know about your situation . . . and this may not be relevant, just take it as an example.

It used to be the case (may still be the case) that for OEM licenses the OS could only be installed or re-installed from the original media supplied with the PC, and also the license was not transferable to a different PC. Microsoft do, what might be considered, strange things with their licensing. It's their product though, if you don't want to play by their rules then you don't have to buy.

I don't know about your situation . . . and this may not be relevant, just take it as an example.

It used to be the case (may still be the case) that for OEM licenses the OS could only be installed or re-installed from the original media supplied with the PC, and also the license was not transferable to a different PC. Microsoft do, what might be considered, strange things with their licensing. It's their product though, if you don't want to play by their rules then you don't have to buy.

I gather what you're saying but that still has nothing to do with where the installation media comes from. For instance, if I have a vista license tied to a pc, that doesn't mean that I can't legally reinstall the same version of that operating system on the same pc from different media, especially true considering most corporate PCs don't come with an actual dvd of the installation media.

I gather what you're saying but that still has nothing to do with where the installation media comes from.

You may be right in your circumstance, without knowing more I cannot say, but what you have said does not hold true in all cases. Take this example:

a customer brings me his PC to re-install the OS, XP Home, on the side of the PC is an OEM license sticker, he bought the PC new and it came with XP Home installed, he has mislaid the original XP media. He has a license . . . yet I am not allowed to re-install from media that I have . . . I have read this from a post by Microsoft personnel.

Edited by RaptoUK

I too have downloaded this release.

It was originally built on March 11th it appears. I'm guessing this is the image submitted to OEM's and such for testing and was finalized for release. Warez or not, it won't be warez when Microsoft officially posts it. I highly doubt they will rebuild a new image... wouldn't that require retesting/recertification?

/edit: wow I just realized I joined this forum 5 years ago and this is my first post lol :)

nope. final release of Vista SP2 RTM DVD image should be built on April 10, not any other date.

Unless you downloaded it from MSDN itself you have gotten warez!

If he owns a vista license it's not warez no matter where he gets the actual installation media from.

not always true, arctirus. It IS WAREZ if it was obtained from an unauthorized source that Microsoft does not approve of.

many people seem to be concerned with the full standalone and full cd images of Vista SP2 and they nearly forget about the upcoming SP2 "express" installer (spclitegfx.exe) that can only be obtained from Microsoft Update/Windows Update. Not every Vista user out there will need either the full standalone or full DVD image of SP2; some just need the smaller SP express installer from WU/MU to install the SP2 components and I know that one can't be pirated 'cause that one will be available directly from the Microsoft source itself. :rolleyes:

I too have downloaded this release.

It was originally built on March 11th it appears. I'm guessing this is the image submitted to OEM's and such for testing and was finalized for release. Warez or not, it won't be warez when Microsoft officially posts it. I highly doubt they will rebuild a new image... wouldn't that require retesting/recertification?

/edit: wow I just realized I joined this forum 5 years ago and this is my first post lol :)

nope. final release of Vista SP2 RTM DVD image should be built on April 10, not any other date.

Well mine seems legit anyway: 6002.18005.x86fre.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830

DVD ISO with SP2 integrated :thumbup

The Vista SP2 RTM DVD images are now available on the MSDN/Technet Subscription downloads pages; some of them posted on May 11 and others posted May 14. If you have either an MSDN or Technet account, login and get them.

No, the ones that were leaked by the Russian site are the same ones on Technet and MSDN, the hashes are the same

You can tell its legit by simply looking at the files on the root of the DVD especially setup.exe (its digitally signed)

Edited by ricktendo64

Unless you downloaded it from MSDN itself you have gotten warez!

If he owns a vista license it's not warez no matter where he gets the actual installation media from.

This has been argued OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN! ANY source but MS or an official distributer is illegal, even if it is only a OS disk! Thats like saying "I still have my keys from that Jaguar I wrecked, maybe I'll just go use his." It's people like you and attitudes like yours that is the reason the vLite and nLite are so close to being shut down...

I'm sorry but you're just an id***.

Warned for violation of rule 7, both parts. Also, Microsoft *does not* permit redistribution of their code, compiled or otherwise (ask the autopatcher folks what happened to them when they redistributed PUBLIC hotfixes). So, Kels is correct, it *is* actually "illegal" in most counties to get your Windows source from anyone other than Microsoft or an authorized distributor. Regardless of how you feel about it, it doesn't change the fact that getting a Vista ISO from, say, a torrent is not a legal way to acquire media. Noting you post from the US, assuming you're a resident, it is illegal in your country of origin to do such a thing, for what it's worth.

Visit the Microsoft piracy pages if you want more information on how Microsoft feels about unauthorized copies of Microsoft software. Again, I'm not saying don't use torrents, etc, as I can't police the internet (nor would I want to), but I am saying that treating it like it's legal seems like an effort to convince yourself that what you're doing isn't wrong, rather than basing your opinion on reality (Microsoft cracks down on unauthorized distributors all the time).

this whole issue would be mute if MS would allow people who have paid their over inflated price for the right to use their software would be allowed to download updated image files with the service packs integrated. the idea of every time you reformat to have to go through the process of installing say the original vista DVD then SP1 and then SP2 then install all your drivers and programs is a joke. i paid $170 for my vista ultimate retail full version, which with what they charge at places like best buy and so forth is a "DEAL". sure i have downloaded from "other sources" other than MS but if they want to come see that i have the original case with the key, let them. i doubt there is enough jail space for all the people that do this. :)

this whole issue would be mute if MS would allow people who have paid their over inflated price for the right to use their software would be allowed to download updated image files with the service packs integrated. the idea of every time you reformat to have to go through the process of installing say the original vista DVD then SP1 and then SP2 then install all your drivers and programs is a joke. i paid $170 for my vista ultimate retail full version, which with what they charge at places like best buy and so forth is a "DEAL". sure i have downloaded from "other sources" other than MS but if they want to come see that i have the original case with the key, let them. i doubt there is enough jail space for all the people that do this. :)

First, it's "moot", not "mute", but simple semantics aside, you wouldn't be jailed. Just fined, heavily. You must understand that the source code (and technically, even the CD or DVD media the source is imprinted on) is protected by US copyright law. You're given the right to make a backup copy (1) of the original source media for use by YOU, and you only (whether that be you as a person or you as a corporation or company entity) by law, but after that any copies are illegal as per the copyright on Microsoft software distributed in the US. Meaning that either the making of a copy to be distributed, or the acquisition of said copy, both are illegal under US copyright law and both are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

Also, making an SP1 or SP2-integrated installation source is really pretty easy, and takes maybe an hour or two - probably quicker than the time it would take to download a copy from a torrent, likely.

i disagree, if you are referring to this http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?catid=1&id=9536 that would take more time than you are saying. i am not breaking any copyright laws by making a vlited image that i intend to use for myself. the way you are wording things you are making it sound like i am uploading the images to torrents or something. i can assure you that is not the case. i doubt i would be fined for using it for my own use either.

i disagree, if you are referring to this http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?catid=1&id=9536 that would take more time than you are saying.
I've done it myself, it took me ~1 hour to create the VM, install Vista, install SP2, run compcln.exe, and imagex the partition after reboot. Just over an hour, is all it took. It was a mid-range Dell, nothing fancy.
i am not breaking any copyright laws by making a vlited image that i intend to use for myself. the way you are wording things you are making it sound like i am uploading the images to torrents or something. i can assure you that is not the case. i doubt i would be fined for using it for my own use either.

I'm just using your own words:

sure i have downloaded from "other sources" other than MS but if they want to come see that i have the original case with the key, let them. i doubt there is enough jail space for all the people that do this. :)
"sure I have downloaded from 'other sources' other than MS". That's copyright infringement in the United States, and that's what I was refering to.