Windows updates, activation & Acronis Universal Imaging

Now with wga requiring windows activation before being able to download windows updates, what way can I update windows in imaging situations?

For example: Say I want to create an XP image that contains all the windows updates, but that also allows me to activate windows whilst on a customers site with their valid license key, to keep everyone right.

My solution so far: I have installed windows with my own product key and planned on simply imaging, then using the option in the windows activation to change the key whilst on the customers site to their valid key. The problem comes in when I try to install windows updates before making the image... you can't install the windows updates without first activating windows. Unfortunately once you activate windows, the option to change the key through activation is then gone... catch 22.

Would I have to activate with my own valid windows key, pull down all the windows updates, create my image and then use a keychanger program on the customers site, to correct windows to the customers legal windows key? Would this even work and would it still keep things legitimate?

Now with wga requiring windows activation before being able to download windows updates, what way can I update windows in imaging situations?

You will need use the System Builder Bypass Tool. If you are registered as a System Builder you can get the tool and more information at http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpag...x?pageid=561187.

I'm not registered as a System Builder. Is there any other method.... or even any other way of getting the tool?

Also won't this requires sysprep to be running in factory mode... sortof an extra unnecessary step when using Acronis?

If I activate with my own valid windows key, pull down the updates, create my image and then use a keychanger program on customers site, to correct windows to the customers legal key? Would this not work?

Edited by joe3k