Problem connecting wireless router to wireless modem/router

Doggie

Hey guys,

I've got a DLink DSLG604T as I needed a modem router with a wireless connection. I have noticed that at times the wireless is less then impressive with all my wireless products(Wii, Laptops) but I've got a Belkin Wireless Router that I've had for a few years and I want to be able to use this just as my wireless network and just let my Dlink act as modem and connection for my main computer. So I connected the router to my router/modem in the correct ethernet ports(Belkin modem port to Dlink port with Dlink connected to my computer ethernet card). All the lights on both aren't flicking and seem to have no problems being connected, I can even ping the IP assigned. Problem is my wireless can connect but drops pretty much straight away and I cannot access the Belkin IP for router config page(192.168.x.x) I've tried every possible Belkin IP for it and just timeouts every time. I've heard I need to possibly bridge these connections together? I've got little idea on the next step so I can get what I want to happen. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Install InSSIDer (freeware).

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Are there any Access Points (AP) on the same channel as yours?

And what is the RSSI of your AP?

You probably don't want to double NAT yourself by having two routers - see if you can configure the Belkin router as an access point.

What model is the Belkin router? :)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Suppo..._Devices#Belkin

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4. InSSIDer picked up 4 signals in my area, two of them mine. RSSI for my DLink goes from 80-86, my Belkin was sitting at 90-100. One of the signals that isnt mine is using the same channel as my Belkin, I'd change the channel but I'm unable to access the router config page. I'm really lost at why I cannot since the IP assigned to it allows pinging. Both router and router/modem have APs but they are different channels.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4. InSSIDer picked up 4 signals in my area, two of them mine. RSSI for my DLink goes from 80-86, my Belkin was sitting at 90-100. One of the signals that isnt mine is using the same channel as my Belkin, I'd change the channel but I'm unable to access the router config page. I'm really lost at why I cannot since the IP assigned to it allows pinging. Both router and router/modem have APs but they are different channels.

RSSI is measured in dBm, so a lower (negative) value is a stronger signal.

An RSSI of 90 is very weak, and explains the disconnects.

Sharing or overlapping channels causes interference.

Most routers by default do not enable management over wifi and require a wired connection.

it changed a few times. at times belkin seems to be lower then the others. usually(I used another modem with it before) I still had access to the Belkins router config but i just cant seem to get in. Any suggestions?

As I said web management is usually disabled over wireless - for security reasons.

If you can associate with it, you could try SSH (port 22) and Telnet (port 23).

BTW you can install DD-WRT on the Belkin F5D7230-4 though a Wired connection is strongly recommended and you must use TFTP.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TFTP_..._Belkin_F5D7230