I need some opinions...

tka1234

Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium. I plan to buy a new graphics card so I can use the Aero effects. I have another $90 to buy other upgrades. What should I buy?

Windows Experience Index:

Processor: 4.2

RAM: 4.5

Graphics: 1.9 (to be upgraded)

Gaming graphics: 1.0 (to be upgraded)

Hard disk: 5.3

I was thinking about some more RAM, or maybe getting another flash drive and doing Readyboost. Any thoughts?

You don't say how much RAM you currently have? If already 2 Gb, then more RAM, while nice will not show huge improvement. If you have less, then go for RAM. What ever you do, don't go for the Readyboost. A waste of time.

if you posted your computer specifications we would be better able to help make suggestions on what else to purchase. From the scores you posted i would say Kotuku is right and more ram would be benfical. Better suggestions could be made if you post more about your computer

Ok, here are my specs:

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz

1GB RAM

250 GB Hard Drive

If you want to know anything else, just make a comment.

I am definitley upgrading the graphics card, so I left that part out.

I definitley won't do ReadyBoost. It just increases your startup speed, and not the speed of anything else. And it would take up room on a USB drive that I'd rather store stuff on.

I recommend that for any system running anything besides Vista Home Basic (or Starter) that you have a minimum of 2GB RAM.

I totally agree here. If you can afford it, buy a 2GB of Ram, so you can have 3GB. I also have 3GB and Vista is running very nice.

Cheers ;)

Thanks for all of the help. I probably will add 1GB or 2GB of RAM - I'm pretty sure that I have 2 RAM sockets left.

That is a good thought with the processor... maybe I'll upgrade that later on. I was thinking of a new computer when I was interested in buying Vista, but I didn't want to spend a ton to get a top-of-the-line machine. I do realize that there will be some point when I will need to buy a new one, but for now, it works with what I like to do.

I'm glad that I joined MSFN. I'm not even sure how I found it.

I just installed my new graphics card today. Works perfectly and Aero is really cool!

I installed a PCI Express x16 2.0 ATI Radeon HD 4350 with 512mb DDR2 integrated.

I'm going to buy some RAM soon. Talk to you later. :hello: