Did something happene in Autum 2008 to the Win98 community?

winxpi

Don't be too optimistic: Stats are bad and do look like the Dow Jones circa end of 2008.

It's sad that so few poeple see the advantage of using w9x, and that nobody in the industry ever recognized these advantages.

Morevoer, w98 is perhaps the most hated OS ever by the so called NT-based OSes users.

On every forum where dropping or keeping w98 is discussed there are XP fanboys coming out to destroy w98. Everytime. And I suspect that commercial websites like Lexmart who remove w98 drivers do so because of these XP fanboys.

It's an incomprehensible hatred, like racism or schizophrenia. It's absolutely incredible.

This is even more bizzare since XP is not known for being a success technicaly. It's rather the failed experiment of the new window generation, like w3.1 was to w98. Vista was a slight improvement in some way, wondows 7 should be the real fix.

Nevertheless I'm still very pleased with the activity of this board and all the ongoing projects we can find.

I'm happy somebody finally said what I was thinking all the time. The NT -Line guys should stop discrediting Win9x, it got support stopped by MS so what do they want more? However that's the issue so many Win 9x forums also were close because of administrations which didn't wan't new topics in 9x sections or XP fanboys discrediting the old 9x Line ("use XP because 9x is cr ap and so on"). Of course I aggree XP some way bether than 98, but 98 would have been much more stable than XP if it had a NT kernel too. So MS is to blame and not the 9x Fanbase.

We did the best to even bugfix old system bugs done by MS, the NT line threadens that Upgrades like KUP could get 98 be used much longer than Windows 2000 ,and that would be a big success. Because of the compatibility to old and many new games I prophecy you 98 WILL still be used after the last Windows 2000 system has upgraded to XP /7

or even only XP/Vista/7 and successors exists. Windows 98 is used all time, I needed an Windows 98 Boot disk in 2008 so they could install Windows XP on my NOW using XP Laptop, so one can say WIHTOUT 98 XP WOULDN'T EVEN WORK in some cases!

And second:

Just out of curiosity, what is the kind of stuff you download apparently so much from P2P, that is executable code, that has nfos and that DOES NOT SMELL FISHY ? :whistle:
Some people might download stuff which belongs to the cultural heritage of humanity, and which is not available commercially, maybe because it smells fishy to some.

The best music clip EVER made is in Estrellita Castro's 1938 movie Suspiros de España, made in Goebbel's UFA Studios in Berlin, I just don't get tired of it; or Estrellita Castros' movie Hijos de la Noche, made 1939 in Mussolini's Cinecittá in Roma; or the music clips in Imperio Argentina's movie Carmen (de la Triana), made in 1938 by Goebbel's UFA/Hispano-Film Produktion in Berlin. These internationalist Nazi movies have gypsy heroines who don't speak Deutsch, this doesn't conform to the truths we all must know. Their copyright status is probably unresolvablable or expired, two of the above examples were produced by a German-Spanish joint venture 70 years ago, dissolved before the end of WWII, produced in a Berlin which was split between 4 victorious powers. I doubt that the U.S. Office of Alien Property Custodian, or its British etc counterparts, or the German government, could prove their ownership in court, and all the artists are long dead. The objective of the time was not to make money with the movies of the defeated powers, but to destroy the Nazi movie industry, which was the only competitor to Hollywood, Marlene Dietrich had gone to Hollywood, Estrellita Castro to Berlin.

The beginnings of the movies start with "Filmoteca Nacional de España", http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filmoteca_Española without a copyright notice, in Spain it's considered part of their national heritage. There are some Estrellita Castro clips from these emule downloads on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep9dKLlJezw with some people wanting to make Suspiros de España Spain's national anthym, but that won't happen with a song of such an origin. About 20+ other performers have made recordings of it, my favorites among them are Pasión Vega and Rocío Jurado; Plácido Domingo wasn't that good at it, he tried, but maybe women are better at singing this Nazi poetry. http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiros_de_España and http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrellita_Castro The lyrics of the song can be found at http://www.lyricsondemand.com/o/orquestami...spaalyrics.html

So the mule not only disseminates malware.

To be kind I ask you just, what :wacko: the**** has WW2 to do with Windows 98 or Win9x ?

Edited by winxpi

This computer has had Proxomitron running every day for 6 years and never once displayed the Windows 98 user agent.

I've been running Proxo for about 4 years too. When Proxo is controlling the the user agent string, the browser displays as "not your concern" and the OS is a WinMacNix. When an actual user agent is sent, it's usually IE6 and XP. I haven't found many sites that discriminate against 9X, but out of the ones I've encountered, sending a newer user agent string is sufficient to satisfy/deceive the majority of them.

This may make Win9x safe for the Internet.

If malicious code was limited to attacking just the OS itself, that statement could be true. Unfortunately, nowadays more code is targeting applications, and not just Internet Explorer. Code that attacks PDF software is becoming common. Flash is another common one. As long as internet software works on both 9X and NT systems, there will be malicious code that affects 9X systems, making some form of protection necessary.

I have not had an infection from browsing the internet during the last 5 years, using Win98 + Opera. My eMule downloads with Win98 contain about 5-10 trojans etc per day, but I have not had a worrying virus infection in the last 5 years.

I haven't been infected via the browser either. When I was beta testing SSM, I collected a good number of malware samples from sites that tried. P2P is an excellent source of material for anyone who tests/works with malware. I get a few more samples every time I download something other than audio files. With P2P, there's always a risk of downloading malicious code. IMO, as long as the user is aware of that and treats the downloads accordingly, there's very little risk.

If I remember correctly, didn't several of the better known AVs drop 9X support during the 2nd half of 2008? I'd suspect that may have been the reason for the decline of 9X systems online. Most users have been conditioned to connect PC security with AV software and security suites and don't realize that they have other options available to them.

Morevoer, w98 is perhaps the most hated OS ever by the so called NT-based OSes users.

On every forum where dropping or keeping w98 is discussed there are XP fanboys coming out to destroy w98. Everytime. And I suspect that commercial websites like Lexmart who remove w98 drivers do so because of these XP fanboys.

It's an incomprehensible hatred, like racism or schizophrenia. It's absolutely incredible.

I still suspect that the real hatred for 9X comes from commercial sources who don't like the unlimited system access that 9X and DOS gives its users. It wouldn't surprise me if some of those "fanboys" represent those commercial interests. As far as the rest of them and all the noise they make is concerned, they just prove that some things in this world are totally without value.

"It's all just an echo of what they've been told."

To be kind I ask you just, what :wacko: the**** has WW2 to do with Windows 98 or Win9x ?
Sorry, a little off-topic. But one of the reasons I am still using Win98 is the mule. Somehow things look safer using the mule under Win98 than under WinXP.

I am also migrating away from Win98, application-by-application, but it's a very slow process and will probably take years. My game plan are dedicated computers, i.e. computers whose main function is to run a single application. Currently I have an eMule computer, next month I'll add a bittorrent computer. On some dedicated computers I'll expect to keep Win98 running for years to come.

Edited by Multibooter

It is not important how good, or how nice is computer if he is without software support he is DEAD and this is today situation with Windows 98 SE

Even without any drivers Windows 98 can be installed and may be an essential security for Windows XP. I have dedicated many hours to study it, and the results are here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129983

and here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=118623

Multibooter, that doesn't answer eidenk's question. What EXECUTABLE code are you downloading? Music clips don't contain such a thing (unless, of course, it's some proprietary Microsoft format with some scripting).

It is not important how good, or how nice is computer if he is without software support he is DEAD and this is today situation with Windows 98 SE which is supporting "only" DirectX 9 and it is using single core !

I can't agree with that conclusion. When the next release of an application won't run on 98, there's no reason the user can't keep running the last version that does. When I have time, I try to work with KernelEX and SeaMonkey 2.0 on a 98SE testbox. If I choose not to add KernelEX to my primary unit, 98FE, there's no reason I can't keep using one of the 1.1 releases of SeaMonkey. DirectX is not a necessity for web browsing. Neither is Internet Explorer.

Even without any drivers Windows 98 can be installed and may be an essential security for Windows XP.

Definitely. I've long used DOS and batch files to protect Win98. As long as the user installs the NT system on FAT32, it will work just as well there. I recently copied the DOS boot image I made for a service CD to the boot partition and added entries to Grub4DOS to load it. It gives me full access to all the drives and operating systems with LFN support. I'm presently setting up batch files that will automate maintenance work, do file system and registry backups and restoring, and more.

nowadays more code is targeting applications, and not just Internet Explorer. Code that attacks PDF software is becoming common. Flash is another common one. As long as internet software works on both 9X and NT systems, there will be malicious code that affects 9X systems, making some form of protection necessary.
Yes.
With P2P, there's always a risk of downloading malicious code. IMO, as long as the user is aware of that and treats the downloads accordingly, there's very little risk.
Yes.
If I remember correctly, didn't several of the better known AVs drop 9X support during the 2nd half of 2008? I'd suspect that may have been the reason for the decline of 9X systems online.
Kaspersky Internet Security v6.0.2.621 still updates nicely under Win98SE, my last update was today 1-May-2009. I have purchased a supply of 3 keys, on ebay as old unopened retail boxes of KIS 6, which should keep me going for another 3 years or until Kaspersky Lab stops providing new signature updates under Win98. I have de-selected, after installation and before the first signature update of KIS 6, the selection "Update application modules", to make sure Kasperky Lab doesn't kill my installation by updating parts of their program with stuff which is incompatible with Win98, as happened in Dec.2008, when they killed v4.5 on my computer in this way. Edited by Multibooter

Multibooter, that doesn't answer eidenk's question. What EXECUTABLE code are you downloading? Music clips don't contain such a thing
Never said that I download executable code. eMule has usually rars, zips, mp3s, avis etc. There might be even some nice old Win95 stuff :thumbup

Windows 98 can be installed and may be an essential security for Windows XP.
Yes, a 2nd opsys puts you in control of your software environment. The next higher level of control is if you have 2 nearly-identical computers, with nearly identical HDD content. Then you know whether a problem is caused by bad hardware.

Old computers eventually wear out physically, one should be ready for it. I have 8 working Dell Inspiron 7500 laptops, about 10 years old. Some of the laptops are used heavily, the dedicated eMule/print server computer, for example, is running under Win98SE 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. To reduce physical wear on the HDDs I have built myself an external USB drive with SDHC cards. A USB 2.0 CardBus card of mine (the old Inspiron 7500 only comes with a built-in USB 1.1) sometimes smells a little burnt, but hasn't broken down yet. I even had a new Netgear router and 2 new cable modems die within a year, maybe because of a heavy load or just bad quality.

My experience has been that about 1 old laptop dies per year, but that's no problem, I then just take the HDD out and put it into a spare laptop.

Edited by Multibooter

I still suspect that the real hatred for 9X comes from commercial sources who don't like the unlimited system access that 9X and DOS gives its users.

The same commercial source that tries to infect your computer with unwanted stuffs, to remind to buy their products or semi-legal datas miners.

This is quiet possible.

With newer version of windows it became harder and harder to make manual changes in your system. But viruses still d as they please.

I'm presently setting up batch files that will automate maintenance work, do file system and registry backups and restoring, and more.

With my Installed Files Checker, I started developing a full system backup/restore application, but I dropped developement because for w98 it's simply overkill.

I just do a back up of all the files on a dvd (would fit on a single CD if not for a few large softwares in Program Files), and if something happen I'll just have to restore manualy the files that has changed. Or the whole thing.

But still didn't have a virus for ages since I disable activeX and flash when I surf the net using Maxthon. I also flat out disable scripts when I'm visiting potentialy dangerous places or when I just want it to go faster.

I also disable html and suspicious attachements in OE. And I never use WMP which is a worm hole IMO.

We don't need all these stuffs. Flash movies and YouTube suck anyway.

With newer version of windows it became harder and harder to make manual changes in your system. But viruses still do as they please.

IMHO most of the "improvements" are directed towards forcing the user to be more and more dependent and in the hands of the "improvers".

In this matter "new" and "better" are words with very different and in many occasions even opposite meanings.

Edited by cannie

I'm presently setting up batch files that will automate maintenance work, do file system and registry backups and restoring, and more.
With my Installed Files Checker, I started developing a full system backup/restore application, but I dropped development because for w98 it's simply overkill.

I've had one for 98 that's called from autoexec.bat and overwrites the existing registry files and autostart folder with cleaned and optimized copies. An independent DOS image lets me do the same with both 98s and 2K. The only other ones that are/will be for 98 are ones for switching which OS version will be loaded and for OS backup and restoring purposes plus one more for general maintenance. I've pretty much stopped using Acronis for this in favor of 7zip. Smaller archives, easily divided up for different purposes, editable from Windows and DOS, and can run in the background of one OS when restoring another, while I do something else.

I still suspect that the real hatred for 9X comes from commercial sources who don't like the unlimited system access that 9X and DOS gives its users.
The same commercial source that tries to infect your computer with unwanted stuffs, to remind to buy their products or semi-legal datas miners.

This is quiet possible.

With newer version of windows it became harder and harder to make manual changes in your system. But viruses still d as they please.

That's a big part of who I'd expect to be behind it. Add in any company or organization involved in copyright protection and anti-piracy, example: Sony's anti-piracy rootkit. Being able to access the entire file system with DOS enables the user to defeat most of this unwanted material. Even when "new" really does mean "better", it's often just when it's used on new systems and doesn't improve anything for those with older systems and/or hardware. I've worked hard to keep my operating systems as light and fast as possible. Every OS I run takes up less than 1.5GB, save for one, the 98FE system with way too much installed in it.

Rick

After installing a new version of some products on Windows XP I realized that the previous version was better for me than the upgrade. Improvements are almost in all cases done at the cost of something, and for me the cost was higher than the presumed advantages of it.

When I tried to reinstall the previous version, I found that I was not allowed to go back. I had been caught into the "valve system" which only allows you to go forward and never backwards, without any previous warning.

There are also commercial interests behind viruses, no doubt about it.

Putting together all these things, and some others that you all know, concludes that you are being manipulated, no matter who in the hell might be behind the manipulation. And there are no legal limits to these hitlerian methods to "promote the development of science". So you realize that you have to protect yourself.

Thanks to Windows 98 I did not even bother to investigate what had happened in any case. I simply switched to it and, while still doing my job in the foreground, completely rebuilt in the background the XP partition.

Computing world is a no-laws-land and Windows 98 is an excellent weapon to defend yourself from manipulators. That's why it has so many enemies.

Edited by cannie

Not in California. 2 weeks ago I checked at Office Depot, Staples and the big computer chain store Fry's - they had not a single Win98-compatible printer left anymore, not even old returns or reburbished printers in their back rooms. Zilch. Nothing. Nada.

Earlier user has been right. Epson still support Windows 98 and this is possible to see from my little example:

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is possible to buy on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...p;x=13&y=18

and on Epson site is possible to download Windows 98 drivers http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHo...PV41&tc=6#7