Install Windows 7 with less than 512MB of RAM ?

ocp1000

Hi,

I'd like to test Windows 7 using a virtual machine.

Only problem is that my computer is old, and has only 1 GB of RAM. The minimum requirements for 7 are 512MB and the virtual machine just can't handle that (keeps crashing).

I know that there's a switch option for vista that doesn't check the amount of RAM.

Anything similar in 7 ?

• 3 weeks later...
I use VirtualBox with 1 gig of ram and can install Windows 7 just fine. Maybe try it if that's not the vm app you are using.

Download 2.1.4. 2.2.0 was just released and has some issues.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds

Nope. Still no luck. Could you tell me which settings are you using so I could match them with the ones I'm using ?

I've installed windows 7 32-bit installed on a P3 900Mhz with 512MB memory with a 20GB hard drive with no problems. I'm testing an older 256MB laptop this weekend. An old AMD laptop I bought back in '01.

Hi,

I'd like to test Windows 7 using a virtual machine.

Only problem is that my computer is old, and has only 1 GB of RAM. The minimum requirements for 7 are 512MB and the virtual machine just can't handle that (keeps crashing).

I know that there's a switch option for vista that doesn't check the amount of RAM.

Anything similar in 7 ?

Have you tried it in virtual pc?

when it crashes, what error message do you get?

you should be able to install 7 on 512 mb. you computer is crashing for a non-ram related issue.

you need to consider upgrading your ram though as 1 gb doesn't provide any breathing room for you host.