98 SE Installers and applications running VERY slow

UltraO

Hello. Ok I have a HP Compaq nx8220 with Windows 98 SE installed and applications, especially installers and utilites that extract or copying files are running VERY slow, and sometimes my system seem to freeze and I am forced to shut down the computer by pressing the power button. I don't know what is causing this, but everything is like I wrote beforce, running VERY slow. So as I don't know what is causing this hopefully someone else can help me ;)

Scanned, nothing was found <_< And of course, it didn't solve the problem...

btw just wondering, does anyone know what file is used as CPU/processor driver?

Edited by UltraO

When you have to press the power button, has Windows totally locked up? Like you try and open the Start Menu but it never opens? Honestly, that sounds like what happens when a hard drive Windows is trying to read from loses power / spins down. Windows expects to eventually get the data it asked for so it waits until it does (which never happens) so it's effectively frozen. Anyhow, all I'm saying is you might want to check if you have a dying hard drive; that would explain slowness during file writes (installers extracting files to prepare for the installation) and Windows freezing.

Queue

• 3 weeks later...

Ok maybe a late reply hehe :P but can't it be like that Windows 98 just doesn't support the hard drive type? I think it is a SATA drive so...

If I am correct Windows 98 does NOT support SATA, unless you install some thingy?

The computer is already dead but it wasn't caused by the hard drive :P but just to know in the future so I can install Windows 9x on other systems.

I agree with Queue about the hard drive thing. Here's how it pretty much works:

If the hard drive is having no activity whatsoever (no i/o at all) it will eventually spin down to save power. If you do something in the OS that isn't totally loaded into RAM, such as opening a program, the computer will wait for a second for the drive to spin up, and seek for the needed data, then load it. This normally takes no more than a second or two and you can hear the drive spin up and make a few sounds as it does this.

It's similar to stopping at a red light in your car and waiting for it to turn green. If the hard drive is dying and has trouble spinning up/seeking for the data, it's like being stuck at a red light for ever, going nowhere.

Windows 98 on a SATA drive? Please share the recipe; I am unaware of Windows 98 and SATA drives getting on well.

Windows 98 on a SATA drive? Please share the recipe; I am unaware of Windows 98 and SATA drives getting on well.

There are some issues with SATA Controllers operating in "Native" Mode. I have written a Patch and created an INF file to support SATA.

Go to http://rloew1.no-ip.com for more information. Edited by rloew