No First Part/Textmode option

I am trying to install windows xp home sp3 on my msi wind.

I followed this guide: http://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/11/1...sb-flash-drive/

When I boot up from my usb stick on my Msi Wind, I get options for "Second part of XP Home Edition" and under that "Second part of XP Home Professional", but I don't get ANY options for the First part/text mode. What am I doing wrong?

Seems for some reason grub4dos bootsector was not installed.

Did you have anything on the USB stick before using the program? Did you format the stick and then place whatever you put on it?

To get you going quickly- open up boot.ini on the USB stick and add a line on the bottom:

c:\grldr="Start Grub4Dos"

Use this boot entry then continue as usual- first part then second part of setup.

Please put in a zip archive and attach WinSetupFromUSB.log file from program's directory along with DATE-TIME-log.cab files found in folder BACKUPS, lets investigate why this happened.

I am having the same problem as the original poster. I'm running Vista X64 and am trying to install XP Pro SP2 onto another machine. I am using a USB HDD, but have also tried a USB thumb drive.

Seems for some reason grub4dos bootsector was not installed.

Did you have anything on the USB stick before using the program? Did you format the stick and then place whatever you put on it?

I formatted both the USB HDD and USB thumb drive before starting. I used the HP disk format tool button from the GUI and also used diskpart to "clean" all the partitions off of the disk.

To get you going quickly- open up boot.ini on the USB stick and add a line on the bottom:

c:\grldr="Start Grub4Dos"

Use this boot entry then continue as usual- first part then second part of setup.

This allowed me to start GRUB and proceed as normal (although I did have a STOP 0x7B error, but that is another problem that I will troubleshoot myself - I think it was mentioned in the FAQ, but I haven't looked yet).

Please put in a zip archive and attach WinSetupFromUSB.log file from program's directory along with DATE-TIME-log.cab files found in folder BACKUPS, lets investigate why this happened.

Everything is attached. The logfile suggests that it installed the bootsector properly, but I'm no expert . . . let me know if you need any additional info. (Please note that I uninstalled/deleted WinSetupFromUSB folder/reinstalled before generating the attached log file.)

Thanks,

Russel

Logs.zip

Try this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=835001

Grubinst.exe is in \winsetupfromusb\files\grub4dos\

HD Hacker is in \winsetupfromusb\files\tools

(hd1,0) in your case would be (hd2,0) if nothing is unchanged since the log files attached was produced.

(hd0,0) is the first hard disk in the system/first partition, do NOT use it.

You may use grubinst.exe -l (hd1) or grubinst.exe -l (hd2) to display partition information and compare sizes, then figure out what hdX is the USB one.

There is a file in \winsetupfromusb\files\grub4dos\ calles grubinst_switches.

Please post the output of grubinst.exe (hdN,0) and whether HD Hacker displays grldr string in the bootsector.

If you need further clarification what exactly to do- please ask, do not try steps you are not sure what they does as some of them could be destructive if used on the wrong disk.

Tried it.

Please post the output of grubinst.exe (hdN,0) and whether HD Hacker displays grldr string in the bootsector.

Here is the output:

C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos>grubinst -v --pause (hd3,0)
Start sector: 0x3F
Image type: NTFS
Install mode
grubinst: Write error
Press <ENTER> to continue ...

Note the write error . . .. Also, see the attached screenshot, indicating that the boot sector was not properly updated

So, I tried a different thumb drive for kicks and got the following result:

C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos>grubinst -v --pause (hd3,0)
Image type: FAT32
Install mode
The MBR/BS has been successfully installed

Note that this one worked, but that it was formatted FAT32, not NTFS.

I tried re-formatting it to NTFS and had the same failure as the first USB drive. I then re-formatted the first drive to FAT32 and tried re-installing Grub. This time it worked.

C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos>grubinst -v --pause (hd2,0)
Image type: FAT32
Install mode
The MBR/BS has been successfully installed

So, it looks like the problem I'm having is related to NTFS. I should note that I am running Vista with UAC turned on. The commands were run from an elevated command prompt window and I ran WinSetupFromUSB as an administrator. Do you have any additional suggestions? Thanks in advance!

--Russel

post-200775-1241406757_thumb.jpg

So, it looks like the problem I'm having is related to NTFS. I should note that I am running Vista with UAC turned on. The commands were run from an elevated command prompt window and I ran WinSetupFromUSB as an administrator. Do you have any additional suggestions? Thanks in advance!

It is possible that is related not to NTFS, but to the NTFS bootsector of Vista (as opposed to the 2k/XP/2003 NTFS bootsector)

Try formatting NTFS, then run on the volume bootsect.exe /NT52, then try again running grubnst.exe, :unsure:

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

I found this thread after having the same problems with the write error.

I formatted to FAT32 but it just says:

Remove disks or other media.

Press any key to restart.

I have no idea why using FAT32 wouldnt even load the second part let alone the first.... seems we are moving backwards on this problem rather than forwards.. :(

Not sure if this is related but I have two flash drives ( 1x 4GB PNY Attache) (1 x 16GB PNY Mini Attache) and the 4GB one is suitable for the Windows ReadyBoost but the 16Gb one isnt according to the properties box for each drive.