Problem with Firefox

paullyboy

When browsing, I'll use a URL or hyperlink to open a site. Firefox normally does this.. well, normally as does IE. Then I'll hit one URL, and Firefox just starts looping the same URL over and over but never connects, reopening a new tab as many as 35-40 time before it stops. Clicking the top red 'X' box won't stop it. Normally I'd just use the Task Manager to get out of a problem connection, but the browser opens another new tab before I can get a handle on the previous tabs. Getting rid of the tabs is a real PITA. Firefox has also done this when opening a simple document that's sitting on my desktop, and set to open with Firefox.

I recently switched my default browser from IE to Firefox, and now AOL does the same thing with some of their hyperlinks (including 'Settings' and links to articles on the 'Welcome Screen'). Opening AOL with IE from the desktop still works fine. It's this loop that Firefox seems to generate with certain URLs that's unaccepible. Any clues? Thanks.

Best, Paul

Edited by paullyboy

just a quick run down, have you tried reinstalling that version of firefox, what about in safe mode w/ networking, viruses (maybe?). what about opening another tab in IE7 does it do the same thing?

Thanks for the replys guys :hello: .

FF is version 3.0.9. I haven't done any addons, just some minor 'tool box' changes (not a whole lot to do there compared to IE). I installed FF about 6 months ago, and it just downloaded an auto-update today. FF has been doing this tab after tab after tab thing for a couple months now. With IE this problem is not present.

Update on AOL. Using FF, the problem with the redundant link opening attemptss without connection and blank screens on connection seems to be gone. I have a feelng it was on AOL's end, and a tech call 2 days ago may have drawn their attention to the problem.

At this point, FF as the default browser seems to be OK, but it's just a matter of time.. and the right situation. Illl make a note of the cause if it happens again. At least all the links on the AOL main page now seem to be active an able to connect.

Best, Paul