Application Proposal: XP Start Menu for 98

Should I make the XP Start Menu for 98?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Check Yes or No

• Yes
    • No
    • Maby?

GUI-wise, it's much easier to use a macro language like AutoHotkey, especially when there's a GUI creator that helps putting together elements in a couple minutes. The official SmartGuiXP does not support Win9x but I have modded it and it does work fine on my 98SE. Anybody willing, here it is : SmartGUI XP Creator mod 4.3.25.15

As to the task at hand, regretfully I voted No, since the XP start menu is the first thing I disable when I get to an XP machine - I'd rather see the options than guess where in the world they might've thought of hiding them.

On the other hand, customizable side/app-bars with skins and auto-hide would be easy to create and IMHO more usable - I've had such thing in mind myself but no time to get down to work.

Anyway, good luck in your learning endeavour, whatever the outcome may be! :hello:

Edited by Drugwash

I wouldn't want my 98 system to look one bit like XP or Vista. IMO, making 98 look like a newer OS is like trying to hide the fact that you're using 98.

well how come i see in the rp9 post talking about trying it

i thought you said you dont want your computer looking like xp or vista but your trying the rp9 thing which is to make 9x MORE LIKE xp and vista

it appears no one likes newcomers making things for 9x

Let's not bash Revolutions Pack - one doesn't have to install it strictly to get an XP/Vista look - I built my own theme which doesn't look like any other OS. It's just a means to enhance the visual experience, if so desired - much like an alternative to WindowBlinds, if you want, but with added usability features.

There is already a program which simulates the XP start menu.

Really? :unsure:

And who would provide the 20 bucks apiece for the licenses to all the 9x/Me users of the Forum? :whistle:

jaclaz

• 8 months later...

Hello. I'm new here.

I've read that topic, and i'm trying to edit explorer.exe with resourcehack. I'm trying to make 2-column - xp-like menu start. I have add "MENUBARBREAK" command to Start Menu script. But here is one problem. No matter where will i place it, it won't work. The menu is still single column...

Help...

And what schould I do to replace "link- code 506" of shutdown button" with 3rd part program for shutting down?

Edited by mlody889

I like XP Startup 98.

Pls PM me when you have a beta/RC/final/RTM release, I'll (eventually) add it to the "stickies" + to my site [where I'll also provide a mirror to your file].

HTH

• 1 month later...

I would like to see something to configure ( as in reduce ) the Start menu. I think it looks fine as is, windows and buttons are always visible and I do think the postXP/ Uberskin style is improvement there - but I just don't care about stuff that isn't omnipresent in the UI unless it's truly ugly. So I won't be skinning my start menu, but it would be nice to prune it. ( I've pruned quite a bit already, but some things seem to be annoyingly hard coded).