Specify Size of System Partition

spacesurfer

Is there a way to specify the size of the system partition during install? I just learned that you can actually assign a drive letter to the system partition from disk management. Thus, I think if I can make the partition bigger than 100 mb, then I can actually put Windows PE on it.

Have you ever tried to set up the HD the way you want it BEFORE ever starting an install?

For the 29 years that I've been building PC's and installing OS's of various types from DOS to Win-7,

I've never tried to install a new OS on a new HD without first partitioning and formatting the HD to verify

its integrity.

I just got a new 160 gig SATA2 HD from Seagate and I wanted to put Windows 7 (beta, 7077 ) on it.

The first thing I did was boot up my system with my DOS boot disk and I set two partitions with FDISK.

Then I formatted the two partitions with the DOS Format command. This takes a while, but it does

certify every sector on the HD.

Then since I was going to install an OS that demands NTFS, I used Partition Magic 8 on a Boot CD, to

reformat the first partition on the drive to NTFS. That was a fairly quick process. :thumbup

I then booted up from the Win-7 install CD and continued with the install. It all went off without a hitch.

After a lot of tweaking and tuning, Win-7 runs faster on my PC than any other OS that I've ever tried.

Most of the tweaks I use are the same ones that I've used on Vista.

:ph34r:

Edited by Andromeda43

The first thing I did was boot up my system with my DOS boot disk and I set two partitions with FDISK.

Then I formatted the two partitions with the DOS Format command. This takes a while, but it does

certify every sector on the HD.

Then since I was going to install an OS that demands NTFS, I used Partition Magic 8 on a Boot CD, to

reformat the first partition on the drive to NTFS. That was a fairly quick process.

:no: DOS Format command. This takes a while

excuse me this is the 20th century

Create an xml and drop on root of dvd or better yet on a floppy/usb stick so can modify if need to on another PC

Thats Seven beta key so don't matter

This is just my windowsPE pass.

It starts the Seven7 install and then stops and lets you select the partitions and Format the one with Full NTFS for the Seven or whatever else you wanna do. Create a second partition for the dual boot or whatever

Unattended is not just for the format, reinstall, format reinstall hype. Its for setting your Disk up the way you want it to be. You can make it simple or do extended stuff like I do but that's only for the challenge. BTW am close to having a release of my new Seven capable app

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<ComplianceCheck>
<DisplayReport>Never</DisplayReport>
</ComplianceCheck>
<Diagnostics>
<OptIn>false</OptIn>
</Diagnostics>
<DiskConfiguration>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
<Disk wcm:action="add">
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<WillWipeDisk>false</WillWipeDisk>
</Disk>
</DiskConfiguration>
<Display>
<ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
<HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
<VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
</Display>
<DynamicUpdate>
<Enable>true</Enable>
</DynamicUpdate>
<UserData>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
<FullName>YOUR NAME</FullName>
<Organization>FlyByNight</Organization>
<ProductKey>
<Key>GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY</Key>
</ProductKey>
</UserData>
</component>
</settings>

Or just delete the second partition and extend the 200mb one, you can do this during setup.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=827575

I didn't even read that but just done same thing

Created 1 drive and it auto made a 100mb System reserved. Just playing i delete other drive and extended the System reserved to take whole drive. :thumbup

keep reading some bios may need that partition

Edited by maxXPsoft

Lord Wolf, building post count.

I now highly advise against extending the System Reserved partition now. With 7100 it's only 100mb. I started having strange things happen and was taking longer to boot. Also noticed strange colored dots on screen I assume was chkdsk running or something. Longer it took more dots. Every boot. Redone drives and no more problems or dots

Lord Wolf, building post count.

Actually, I came across this thread while doing a search for "partition", trying to find some good portable partitioning software. I came across other threads as well (which have been useful). While reading this one though, that one comment stuck out at me so I responded to it. If you look at my join date, you'll see that I've been a member for quite awhile, so no, not trying to build my post count.

Being able to specify the partition sizes during install (automatically) is an interesting idea, one that I'll be keeping an eye on for future new system builds. Would be particularly nice if the first and last partitions could be created and the location of each specified. (First partition starting at the very beginning of the drive, last partition, around 10 gigs, being at the very end, perhaps as part of an extended partition) For me, that would give me room to install necessary motherboard/LAN card drivers as well as any important (or huge) updates.

I'm here now due to reinstalling XP on a computer and looking for ideas to make future reinstalls less painful. The most painful part of it for me is reinstalling the drivers to make the computer usable (internet access, display/audio drivers, firefox and a few other items). Since it doesn't happen too often, it's not worth it to make an unattended CD/DVD.

Still reading up on ideas, because there are plenty of good ones to learn from. :hello:

Is there a way to specify the size of the system partition during install? I just learned that you can actually assign a drive letter to the system partition from disk management. Thus, I think if I can make the partition bigger than 100 mb, then I can actually put Windows PE on it.

Yes in the WAIK for win7 you can create an autounattend.xml file that has the option to create partitions and format them as part of the install.

There is also a sample file that illustrates this function.

I'm here now due to reinstalling XP on a computer and looking for ideas to make future reinstalls less painful. The most painful part of it for me is reinstalling the drivers to make the computer usable (internet access, display/audio drivers, firefox and a few other items). Since it doesn't happen too often, it's not worth it to make an unattended CD/DVD.

Still reading up on ideas, because there are plenty of good ones to learn from. :hello:

Don't think theres a way to do partitions in XP

Look at my app in my sig for XP, it integrates drivers as long as they are .inf based. It will also do Fox, Tbird and 4-500 more applications. Build the CD/DVD one time and you have it.

Done that years ago starting with XP and keep updating and now doing same with Vista/Seven

Since it doesn't happen too often, it's not worth it to make an unattended CD/DVD.
Don't think theres a way to do partitions in XP

Look at my app in my sig for XP, it integrates drivers as long as they are .inf based. It will also do Fox, Tbird and 4-500 more applications. Build the CD/DVD one time and you have it.

Done that years ago starting with XP and keep updating and now doing same with Vista/Seven

Already mentioned that it's not worth it to make an unattended. Installs are so infrequent in this household that by the time one would get used, the drivers and software would be outdated. I'd want the install to be either be fully up to date or only been slightly out of date, but not by a year or so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for learning stuff on unattended, just that in this circumstance, it's not worth it.