Cannot Delete a Folder

DreamSkape

Hi,

Ever since I installed Windows OneCare for protecting my laptopn from virus etc, I got an extra folder named "1242f4be6b240ab4bbdb5b" in one of the logical drives. The main files for the OneCare are in the default folder ie C:\ProgramFiles. I guess it used the folder for installation purpose and should have deleted it after installation like most of the other applications do. But it did not happen.

When I try to delete it, I get a message that the folder cannot be deleted as it is in use. Once I uninstalled Windiws Live OneCare and then tried to delete it but I got the same message. The folder has two sub folders namely, amd64 and i386. These folders contain some catalog files. I understand that i386 is related to Windows OS but also presume that it can be a virus or malware as it is on the logical drive.

I read on the internet that such folders are created by installers and automatically go away after few days. But it has been almost two weeks and still the folder is there and no matter what method I use, I cannot delete it.

Please let me know if the folder is part of OneCare or is it some kind of virus. Also, if it is a required part of OneCare and needs to be kept there? I have added the screenshot of the folder at

http://cid-f673bda5b4f6cba1.skydrive.live....0screenshot.bmp

The contents of the inf file are:

; MSXPSDRV.INF

;

; Microsoft system driver files for XPSDrv print drivers.

;

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

Provider=%Microsoft%

ClassGUID={4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Class=Printer

CatalogFile=msxpsdrv.cat

DriverVer=08/03/2006,6.0.5500.0

[Manufacturer]

%Microsoft%=Microsoft

;

; MS XPSDrv Driver Core installs

;

; These sections are used by Printer OEMs to install MS provided XPSDrv driver components

;

; XPSDrv - Base XPSDrv Support for Pre-Windows Vista OS

[XPSDRV.OEM]

CopyFiles=XPSDRV

[XPSDRV]

MXDWDRV.DLL

xpssvcs.dll

; XPSDrv with UNIDRV UI

[XPSGPD.OEM]

CopyFiles=@MSXPSINC.GPD

; XPSDrv with PSCRIPT5 UI

[XPSPPD.OEM]

CopyFiles=@MSXPSINC.PPD

[DestinationDirs]

DefaultDestDir=66000

;

; Source Disks Info

;

[sourceDisksNames]

1 = %Location%,,

[sourceDisksNames.x86]

2 = %Location%,,,"i386"

[sourceDisksNames.amd64]

2 = %Location%,,,"amd64"

[sourceDisksFiles]

msxpsinc.ppd = 1

msxpsinc.gpd = 1

mxdwdrv.dll = 2

xpssvcs.dll = 2

[strings]

Microsoft="Microsoft"

Location="XPSDrv Core Driver File Location"

Please let me know if the folder is safe and needs to be kept. If it is not necessary, then how to delete it?

Thanking you,

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 5:46:27 PM IST

Edited by DreamSkape

It should be safe to remove, (you could always archive the drivers if you think they may be required at a later date). The inf file should have already run, when it did, the required files were copied to the correct location, (the resulting location found by GetPrinterDriverDirectory Function).

Hi,

Many many thanks to all of you. I finally was convinced following your information to find that it was indeed a leftover of the installation and was safe to delete. However, I had to download the Unlocker to delete the folder.

Thanks again to all of you. The issue is resolved now.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Tuesday, April 21, 2009, 9:16:41 PM IST

Edited by DreamSkape