Last Versions of Software for Windows 2000

The last version of CCleaner to run on W2k Pro officially is 3.28.

The current version of CCleaner is 5.15; the portable form runs on unofficial W2k Pro by using the application compatibility launcher.

The 5.15 full installer also works, but there is a trick:  first run the portable version using application compatibility launcher.  Then install the full version using application compatibility launcher.

The only bug I’ve found is that the CCleaner interface identifies the OS as Windows XP.

Edited by bluebolt

• 2 weeks later...

A few things I have discovered:

Vanilla Windows 2000 (No unofficial updates) - Flash 11 up to 11.4 is usable by using a hex editor (see link here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1012569?start=0&tstart=0)

- EaseUS Partition Manager 6.5.2 runs on Windows 2000 without any problems. I know versions 8-9 don't work but I'm not sure if 6.5.2 runs or not.

- Avast Antivirus 8.x runs on Windows 2000, but do not use with UURollup/BlackWingCat's kernel as Avast thinks a few unofficial update files are malware (which they are not

- Adobe Reader 9.5.5 is the last Adobe Reader for Windows 2000.

UURollup/Extended Kernel: - Latest Firefox runs well. I'd like to say that the latest Flash works too but I haven't used Windows 2000 on the web in a bit. I'll test some more apps and post the results later.

• 1 month later...

For anyone who is still using Java 6, Oracle has released update 115. Has blackwingcat updated JRE 6u115 to be compatible with Windows 2000?

As far as I know, Oracle will continue to provide paid support for Java 6 until December 2016 after which it will go into Sustaining Support and will no longer be updated at all.

Edited by ppgrainbow

On 2016年4月25日 at 3:41 AM, ppgrainbow said:

For anyone who is still using Java 6, Oracle has released update 115. Has blackwingcat updated JRE 6u115 to be compatible with Windows 2000?

As far as I know, Oracle will continue to provide paid support for Java 6 until December 2016 after which it will go into Sustaining Support and will no longer be updated at all.

Java 6 support is till Dec 2018, isn't it ?

On 4/28/2016 at 1:56 AM, blackwingcat said:

Java 6 support is till Dec 2018, isn't it ?

Yep. Java 6 still remains under paid (extended) support until December 2016. After it comes to a close, Java 6 will go into sustaining support which will last an indefinite period of time. According to the Java version history on Wikipedia, Oracle made paid support for customers running Java 5 until May 2015...after which that version was completely retired.

Oracle stopped providing premier customer support for Java 6 last December.

Edited by ppgrainbow

• 3 months later...

What version of Tor Browser runs on plain vanilla W2k?

After trying, v6.0.3 and v6.0.2 don't. Their installer accepts to run on plain standard W2ksp4r1, but the application stops because Kernel32.dll doesn't suffice. Candidates for KernelEx?

Edited by pointertovoid

FreeCad v0.15 and LibreCad 2.0.7 don't. Their installer accepts to run on plain standard W2ksp4r1, but the application stops because Kernel32.dll doesn't suffice.
Though, their source is available, so recompiling for W2k may be possible; I tried only the binary distribution for Windows. Candidates for KernelEx?

QCad is a partly free 2D Cad simpler to learn than most competitors. Available as open source, so recompiling for W2k may be possible; I tried only the free binary distribution for Windows, but non-free Win binary distributions exist too. v1.5.1 runs on W2k (and on 64b Seven too) while v3.9.3 fails to run after install: "not a valid Win32 app".

TurboCad v9.2 runs on W2k. It was cheap, now the editor is closed. Decently capable and simple 2D Cad with "3D extensions", which uses to mean that 3D is clumsy.

XnView v2.32 runs on W2k. I tried only the simpler version, as the more complete one targets real photo enthusiasts and has huge menus and tunings.

RunAsDate v1.05 and v1.40 run on W2k.

RegFromApp v1.15 runs on W2k (but not on W95b).

Vilma Registry Explorer v1.6.0 runs on W2k (but not on W95b). It's a better Regedit, faster, easier.

Alternate stream v1.51 runs on W2k and many more - as usual with Nirsoft.

CCleaner v3.28 runs on W2k while v4.12 doesn't. That's consistent with the editor's claims of v3 for W2k and with the installer's messages - kudos.

GnuPG's latest v2.3.2 and v2.1.14 run on W2k - these have binary distributions for Windows. The source code is available, so compiling other versions for W2k may be possible.

GnuMeric is a free spreadsheet compatible with Excel with better menus for diagrams. v1.12.17 runs on W2k and is the latest binary distributed for Windows (201406) by the authors, alas. It's also the best version: keeps old bugs but adds nice features. Compiling more recent ones must be possible.

BaKoMa is a complete and not very expensive distribution of LaTeX for Win. v9.05 runs on W2k and is said to be the latest. Apparently it needs a disk volume where Win is not.

MuPDF displays Pdf documents damned fast but does nothing else - not even text search nor jump to page. v1.7a runs on W2k while v0.7 fails (in that order, I confirm). SumatraPDF adds menus to the MuPDF viewer. v3.0 fails on W2k after installing, (latest v2) v2.5.2 refuses to install, (latest v1) v1.9 refuses too, and (latest v0) v0.9.4 runs but is slower than Foxit on old documents scanned as pictures.

Edited by pointertovoid

Here are some C compilers, possibly C++, chosen to be simple to install and use, not necessarily with an IDE nor producing executables with a GUI. In other words, you type a Thing.c with a text editor, call Compile Thing.c in Command.com to get a Thing.exe which you run in Command.com to get a few precious numbers on your scren.

Borland Cpp v5.5 is free and runs on W2k. The binary is about 5x faster on simple integer operations than the competitors I tried, but Microsoft is 3x faster than Borland - bad sign for the competitors and for the ability of a Core 2 to run unoptimized x86 code.

Digital Mars C/C++ v8.57c runs on W2k.

Tdm-Gcc is not exactly GnuCC. v5.1.0.3 runs on W2k. I believe it offers an IDE, and for sure, its gcc.exe can work without.

OpenWatcom C/C++ v1.90 runs on W2k. This one has an IDE.

Orange C/C++ v5.73.1 fails to run on W2k after an alleged successful installation.

GhostScript is needed by GSview. Both v9.05 and the latest v9.19, from 2012 and 2016, install and run properly since GSview runs. v9.05 is contemporary to the latest GSview v5.0, giving me more confidence.

GSview is needed by some Latex editors to display Postscript .ps and .eps files. The latest v5.0 install and runs properly, or at least it displays nicely the files I have.

GSview would also display .pdf files but is slower than Foxit and Sumatra. Some users report worries with GSview and Foxit as they lock the displayed file, preventing the Latex compiler to update it, and suggest Sumatra's behaviour fits this better.

Postscript Viewer too displays postscript .ps files, and its latest v1.2 installs and runs on W2k. Though, it just converts the file to Pdf and calls the pdf viewer, and the conversion isn't fast: 1.5s for 350ko on an E8600.

The nice news is that Sumatra displays Postscript files too. It's faster than GSview and Postscript Viewer, the display is as good, and Sumatra can search a string in the displayed document and jump to a page. Free, no splash window neither.

Sumatra is known as a Pdf viewer. In v1+ it outpaces GSview and even Foxit a bit. It displays noisy jpg better than they do.

• v1.1 installs and runs on W2k without helping it.
  • v1.51 is the latest that installs and runs if you add Gdiplus.dll in the installer's folder. My Gdiplus is v5.1.3102.1360, beware different versions meant for different applications seem uncompatible. Deinstalling needs to run uninstall.exe from the executable's folder (add/suppress programs doesn't work) with a Gdiplus.dll added there.
  • v1.6 is the latest that installs and runs if adding Gdiplus.dll AND if refusing the Pdf search extension at install - or neglect the installer's error message.
  • v1.7 fails to install and I didn't try to paste on W2k an installation made on Xp.
  • Portable (zip) v3.12, v2.52, v1.9, v1.7 pasted in the executable folder fail to run. That is, the same that fail as an installer (exe).

Foxit is a Pdf viewer that avoids Acrobat. v4.31 installs and runs, v5.4.5.0124 fails to install.

Aspell comprises dictionaries (just lists of words for spell check) for many languages and a separate engine. Unsurprisingly, v0.50 installs and runs on W2k. I've found no installer for a more recent engine. Delete the Tmp folder between the languages. Aspell6 is a fork by Lyx with a different file format; its languages install on W2k, but without an engine I can't tell whether they work.

Imagemagick converts, processes and optionally displays images, it's used by Lyx and others. v6.3.9 Q16 "Windows static" installs on W2k and seems to run, a "Windows dll" exists too. v6.6.4.9 is said not to work on W2k. Lyx v1.6.5-1 Bundle installs Imagemagick v6.5.4-3 Q16 (or possibly a subset) and seems happy with it.

Edited by pointertovoid

• 2 weeks later...

Miktex compiles latex files to dvi, pdf and ps formats. v2.8 installs and runs on W2k, v2.9 fails. Subtlety: the "portable" and "basic" variants install well but the "complete" installation fails with "File name database capacity exceeded", a bug improved on late v2.9. It seems (?) that it's the same installer and executable for "basic" and "complete", with less or more Latex packages installed, fetched from the Web or the disk if preloaded (complete 1GB), knowing that Miktex can also install the missing packages when needed. So for an offline W2k, one can download the "complete" monster, instruct to install the "basic" and to install missing packages from the disk when needed. I also have good hope that all compiler versions are compatible with all packages versions, for which repositories exist on the Web, so the "basic" installer would combine with later download from the repository.

Miktex brings Yap to display dvi result files. Yap would uneasily install without a large part of Miktex.

TexnicCenter is a text editor for Latex source files that can call a Latex compiler (a preexisting Miktex being recommended) and varied preexisting displayers for the result dvi, ps, pdf files. v1 RC1 installs and runs on W2k, v2.02 fails to start after installation: "Not a valid Win32 application".

While TexnicCenter v2.02 offers options for spell dictionaries in varied languages, v1 RC1 doesn't, and pasting the files from v2.02 in a v1 RC1 installation doesn't help. After trying >30 dictionaries:

• The original English-US seems usable, at least as a foreign language.
  • The original German ignores compound words hence isn't very helpful.
  • Pasted the .dic and .aff for Brazilian Portuguese from this file, seems to work well:
    verificador_ortografico_para_portugues_do_brasil-2.5-3.2.12-fx+an+sm+fn+tb.xpi
  • The least bad I found for French ignores elisions (or rather, Texnic 1.1 ignores) like jusqu' hence is far from good :
    myspell-fr-v1.3.2.zip
  • The least bad I found for Italian ignores elisions like dell'  hence is far from good :
    Dizionari.IT_20080927.oxt
  • I've found no decent one for Spanish. Even conjugations, plurals, feminine forms fail.
  • Several of these dictionaries contain descriptions of the elisions, and TexnicCenter v2.02 does all this properly. The shortcomings I mention may well be limitations of TexnicCenter v1 RC1 rather than of the dictionaries nor their adequation to TexnicCenter v1.

Lyx lets edit near-Latex source files in a near-compiled display, can call a Latex compiler (a preexisting Miktex being recommended) and varied preexisting displayers for the result dvi and pdf files. The "Bundle" installer brings its own Ghostscript, GSview, imagemagick and needs no CygWin, Gtk+, Python. v1.6.5-1-Bundle installs and runs on W2k, v1.6.6-1-Bundle botches the GUI languages.

Lyx would download its Aspell6 spell check dictionaries during installation, and only from the Web, but for my offline W2k machine, I could download from Lyx's website the installers for the necessary languages, pre-install them in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Aspell\dictionaries
then install Lyx asking to download the languages and let the installer fail on that, and got spell chacking.

That's where Lyx 1.6.5 installs Aspell6 inevitably on an online Xp. Pre-installing Aspell6 in one different location had failed. I didn't try to redefine "Documents and Settings" nor to install Lyx without asking for Aspell6. Word cutting at line ends in the compiled files must rely on Miktex rather than Aspell6.

Bakoma (this one isn't free) lets edit the standard Latex source in a display very near to the compiled file. v9.05 installs and runs on W2k and is claimed to be the last one, but seems to need a volume where Windows isn't - what if you have a single volume on your disk? The >600MB versions need very little preinstalled software, but I've seen no spell dictionaries for my languages.

Edited by pointertovoid

• 4 weeks later...

Resource Hacker v4.0.0 seems to run properly on W2k. v4.2.5 installs but crashes when opening a document. v4.3.20 installs but crashes at launch.
On extended W2k, v4.2.5 displays icons badly but might run (experimented shortly) and it offers functions that don't work properly on v4.0.

Edited by pointertovoid

• 4 months later...

Exact Audio Copy 2.9 (latest version) works on w2k extended kernel. It will show violation message on starting up, but after regsvr32 sql*.* files in program dir it works without error and provides accurate CD ripping "state of the art". Also flac encoding can be used with this program.

Greetings Joe