Last Versions of Software for Windows 2000

It seems as same as my blog problem.

Try to download WLU Checker from here

And check 'ルート証明書の更新プログラム' s version is 36,0,2195,0.

(Sorry this checker definition Japanese only)

Here's the log file for when I try updating the definitions.

Edited by blackwingcat

• 2 weeks later...

Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ pulled the plug on Win2k after eight or nine+ years of support with version 10.1.211.3382. :( In their change log regarding OS support changes:

Windows 2000 is no longer supported in order to permit some of the driver improvements. Service Pack 2 is now required for Windows XP to support driver improvements.

Let me guess...the Lavasoft engineering team upgraded their compilers to Visual Studio 2010. On the contrary of this issue, I'll bet that Ad-Award 10 didn't even work correctly on Win2k either. The last version that worked was version 9.6.0.

@ppgrainbow

Actually it may be the driver, not VS2010. Many AV/FW now use drivers that are incompatible with W2K, ex. Comodo Firewall. It's not only VS2010 that causes incompatiblities ;)

@ppgrainbow

Actually it may be the driver, not VS2010. Many AV/FW now use drivers that are incompatible with W2K, ex. Comodo Firewall. It's not only VS2010 that causes incompatiblities ;)

Thank you for telling me. The drivers that are incompatible with Win2k either causes BSODs, doesn't function or even includes dependencies that do not exist on Win2k.

It seems that ClamWin and MalwareBytes Antivirus software are the only viable option now. :(

(I've made a forum post regarding Qemu 1.0.1 on Win2k, btw. :))

Edited by ppgrainbow

... It seems that ClamWin and MalwareBytes Antivirus software are the only viable option now...

The latest Avast 7 antivirus runs on W2k. The editor tells it officially. Users had even success on W2k Server.

An outdated firewall isn't a big worry to me, as it works without updated malware definitions.

• 4 weeks later...
It seems that ClamWin and MalwareBytes Antivirus software are the only viable option now. :(

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

I'm still running Avira AntiVir (free version) and getting updates for Win2K (can't say how long that will last, but my impression is that they're not going to stop until they need to for some reason). Version 10.0.0.648 was I think the last one I installed but after subsequent update activity it now says it's 10.2.0.704 (despite the fact that it was shortly after 648, in July of last year, that Avira warned that it could no longer be installed on Win2K - so you could try installing SLIGHTLY later versions if you'd like to try AntiVir but can't find 648). In its Help 'about' screen most program files are dated 11/July/2011 but both the virus signatures and search engine are dated this month and the product date is 28/Sep/2011, well after support for Win2K nominally ceased; in its Program Files folder quite a few .dlls have dates within the past few months. It will occasionally ask to install an 83 MB product update and actually download it but then the install itself does nothing (presumably because the update itself does not support Win2K); still, clearly SOME updating beyond just signatures is still occurring (thank you, Avira).

As long as the virus signatures are still being updated I feel pretty safe, though might feel less so if I weren't behind a hardware firewall. Some people report problems installing Avast 7 on Win2K, but others say that you just need to reboot an extra time to get it running. I may try it, but I think pretty highly of AntiVir so would like to stay on it as long as is reasonably possible.

...feel pretty safe... hardware firewall...

Some people report problems installing Avast 7 on Win2K, but others say that you just need to reboot an extra time to get it running.

A hardware firewall brings nearly no security, since it doesn't check what application accesses the Net.

I had to reboot only when installing Avast 7 while Avast 4.8 was still operating, just for fun - nothing meaningful. The other times Avast 7 installed without a whisper on W2k.

What Windows binary version of ImageMagick runs on plain vanilla W2k, I mean without Api extensions?

v6.3.7 Q16 did; it was brought by LyX 1.5.4.

v6.7.7-7, the latest now in June 2012, does not as it was compiled with Visual Studio 2010 (without the proper options).

The editor's site tells nothing. Several users asked, and I did insist again there

https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20703

A more precise version limit?

What Windows binary version of ImageMagick runs on plain vanilla W2k, I mean without Api extensions?

v6.3.7 Q16 did; it was brought by LyX 1.5.4.

v6.7.7-7, the latest now in June 2012, does not as it was compiled with Visual Studio 2010 (without the proper options).

The editor's site tells nothing. Several users asked, and I did insist again there

https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20703

A more precise version limit?

Okay, can anyone check to see which dependencies the latest version of ImageMagick uses? Thanks.

I can't tell which dependencies absolutely require either Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3, because although the site set the official requirements, we don't know what entry point dependencies that it uses yet. There are not too many dependencies that do require Windows XP SP3 as far as I know.

Some of the entry points available in Visual Studio 2010 do not even support Windows XP at all. Either Windows Server 2003 SP1/SP2, Windows Vista or even Windows 7.

Visual Studio 2012 will cause a shift in lowest supported OS version from Windows XP SP2 to Windows Vista SP2 for sure.

I'm guessing the ImageMagick 5.x series do run okay on Windows 2000, I'm not sure. :whistle:

Edited by ppgrainbow

• 3 weeks later...

WireShark 1.8.0 has same problem.

I think there are any compatibility problems in GLIB 2.3x.

o GLIB 2.28 (Wireshark 1.6.8)

x GLIB 2.30 (gimp2.8)

x GLIB 2.32 (Wireshark 1.8.0)

@blackwingcat

Same thing here with GIMP.

Edited by blackwingcat

I succeeded to run WireShark 1.8.0 and GIMP 2.8

Copy libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll and intl.dll from Wireshark 1.6.8.

Are there anyone who knows the deference?

They have same dll version.

WireShark 1.8.0 has same problem.

I think there are any compatibility problems in GLIB 2.3x.

o GLIB 2.28 (Wireshark 1.6.8)

x GLIB 2.30 (gimp2.8)

x GLIB 2.32 (Wireshark 1.8.0)

@blackwingcat

Same thing here with GIMP.

Edited by blackwingcat

Thanks for useful information, BlackWingCat :)

Edit: GIMP still doesn't launch even after replacing the files. It's present in Task Manager but uses 0% CPU and 60+ MB RAM but there's no visible window on the screen.

Edited by tomasz86

• 3 weeks later...

"The Adobe Flash Player 10.2 no longer supports Microsoft Windows 2000"

Both the IE and non-IE version install fine, but throw an exception at the end. Both IE6 and Firefox Nightly use 10.2 properly.

No modifications required.

Flash Player 10.3 (ActiveX and plugin versions) both work perfectly fine on 2000.

the latter builds of Flash Player 10.3 (10.3.183.15 and greater) won't install nor run under Win2000 w/out KernelEx for Win2000 or KDW / FCWIN2k.

Flash Player versions 10.3.183.11 and earlier can install and run on Win2k without the need for unofficial kernel32 for Win2000.

Opera has ended support for Win2000 starting with Opera 12.50 snapshot build 1513.

so last version of Opera to support Win2000 is Opera 12.00 (or 12.01 if ever that one comes out).

Edited by erpdude8