Last Versions of Software for Windows 2000

Hi, Colonel O'Neill

Safari 3.x use advapi32.dll's extension function.

Safari 3.0 on Windows 2000(Japanese)

Safari 4 and Safari 5 works with KDW, but it can't display custom combobox.

Safari 4.0 on Windows 2000(Japanese)

Safari 4 does not work with KDW's dll's nor will it install directly using FCWIN2K. It will not work with OldCigarette's API wrapper pack either.

Strange... SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW is an emulated function in the wrapper. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Safari 3.2.2 works, but will crash on loading certain images.

• 2 months later...

"The Adobe Flash Player 10.2 no longer supports Microsoft Windows 2000"

Both the IE and non-IE version install fine, but throw an exception at the end. Both IE6 and Firefox Nightly use 10.2 properly.

No modifications required.

Flash Player 10.3 (ActiveX and plugin versions) both work perfectly fine on 2000.

CS:Source (non-steam) works fine on 2000

L4D2 (non-steam) works with the following modifications:

- EZ install kernel32.dll and advapi32.dll from BlackWingCat's KDW wrapper

- Import a PSAPI.dll from an XP (I used XP SP3) install and put it in the folder

- http://img836.images...73/10830056.png :D

Firefox 4.0 Nightly works properly (Even on 2000 RTM).

Incompatibilities:

- TrueTransparency and tabs in titlebar mode (obviously), but also leaves artifacts when the menubar is hidden.

- SmoothText and hooking the Window Captions causes the window to blank repeatedly.

EDIT (Apr. 14, 2011): Firefox 6.0a1 still works.

EDIT (Aug. 07, 2011): FF 8 Nightly still works, as well as Flash Player 11.

O&O CleverCache 7 works; run Setup and grab the extracted files from %temp%, drop LaunchConditions table from the MSI using Orca.

Install with setup.exe, and drop in an XP PSAPI.dll into the installed folder. Seems to work.

O&O Defrag 14 works with the same Drop Table modification. No additional DLLs are needed.

EDIT: (Aug. 24, 2011): FF 9 still works. foobar 1.1.7 works with some KDW dlls and gdiplus.

AltDrag (great tool) works with some KDW dlls and dbghelp.dll from XP.

Edited by Colonel O'Neill

• 7 months later...

Holy crap, this thread hasn't been updated in a while.

I recently tested out the final version of Adobe Flash 11 (runtime version 11.0.1.152) on Windows 2000, both through a Windows 2000 VM (under VMware Player) and on the host PC and it still works.

By using the Dependency Walker feature, I found that one of the files in Flash11c.ocx (one of the files attributed to the Flash 11 installation) is missing entry point function called WNetRestoreConnectionA in the MPR.DLL file. However, that does not prevent Flash 11 from working on Win2K.

I don't know if Flash Player 11.1 (if it is planned) will even work correctly on Win2K or not.

Also, has Firefox 9 Aurora and Firefox 10 Nightly been tested on Win2K yet?

If there is any confirmation on this, let me know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, tomasz86

I use Skype 5.2.0.113, because skype can't find audio devices.

Can you use Skype 5.3 without problem ?

Skype 5.3.0.111 is the last version of Skype to work under Win2k. BlackWingCat's kernel v5 (or higher) or WildBill's kernel patch (MS11-011) is required.

Thanks to BlackWingCat for this information.

By the way,

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea what is the cause of this problem related to unaccessible audio device?

I managed to install and run Skype 5.6 with the following set of dlls but still audio devices are unaccessible :(

9sC3M.png

This is what Skype's changelog says about changes in 5.3.0.113:

Group video calling Fixed potential Skype crashing scenario while participating in Group Video Call

Install Skype started up in English instead of users local language if it was ran under different user account, than installed

I guess the first one is more important and may be related to the audio device error.

Edited by tomasz86

• 4 weeks later...

I installed Echofon 2.3, a popular Twitter client add-on and while it loaded, it did not work correctly...if not at all.

The reason is that the DLL in the \platform\echofonsign.dll file uses EncodePointer and DecodePointer, the two key MSVC++ 2010 CRT entry point DLLs that do not exist on versions of Windows prior to Windows XP SP2; plus almost 963 KB worth of code (including support code for Windows 2000) was removed too.

In my opinion, Echofon shouldn't be even offering later versions of their product (after version 2.2.2) that does not work on this OS! :angry:

The last version of Echofon that will work on Firefox running on Windows 2000 (and Windows XP before SP2) is version 2.2.2. :( Until there are unofficial builds, hacks and workarounds, let me know. Echofon 2.2.2 can still run on Firefox 8 and later, if you do the following:

1. Download Echofon 2.2.2, extract the echofon_for_twitter-2.2.2-fx.xpi using 7-zip into a temporary directory.

2. Open the install.rdf file using Notepad.

3. Where it says "<em:maxVersion>8.0a1</em:maxVersion>", change it to the highest supported version of Firefox that will run on Win2K.

I'm sorry that my grammar isn't all that perfect, but the good news is that Adobe Flash Player 11.1.202.55 came out today, installed it and found that it still works on Win2K too...even on Internet Explorer 6 SP1 as tested through VMware Player. Plus Firefox 11 recently entered Nightly and Firefox 10 moved to Aurora. Also, there is a beta version of Flash 11.2 that has been out since late last month.

It would be great to test Firefox 10 Aurora, Firefox 11 Nightly an Adobe Flash 11.2 beta to see if they will still work on Win2K or not. :lol: What do you think?

Edited by ppgrainbow

• 3 weeks later...

I've just installed Avast 6.0.1289.0 on W2k and it seems to work despite sites indicate at least Xp.

A rather banal W2k (BUT I had Chrome on it), done nothing special to let it accept - no complaint.

Better: it seems to use less ram than v4.8.1368 and be faster (v4.8 being the latest official for W2k).

I'm very pleased. More users' experience?

I've just installed Avast 6.0.1289.0 on W2k and it seems to work despite sites indicate at least Xp.

A rather banal W2k (BUT I had Chrome on it), done nothing special to let it accept - no complaint.

Better: it seems to use less ram than v4.8.1368 and be faster (v4.8 being the latest official for W2k).

I'm very pleased. More users' experience?

I've been running Avast 6.0.1289.0 on 2k for a while now with no problems. I had no idea they said it was only for XP.

As far as I know, Avast still supports Windows 2000, although unofficially. Some time ago there had been an update which broke compatibility with Win2k and after a few days it was fixed.

As for other free Antivirus programs, Avira doesn't support Windows 2000 any longer. I personally switched to ClamWin and use it to scan only suspicious files on demand.

By the way, the situation is similar with Dropbox which officially is supposed to work on XP and above only but unofficially is supported under Win2k too!

Edited by tomasz86

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,Colonel O'Neill

Your method needs checking the KDllinst's Ez KD Registry and reboot.

Here is Safari Installer for Windows 2000.

extract SafariInstaller.exe and copy the msi files into Installer folder and run install batch file.

Safari 4 does not work with KDW's dll's nor will it install directly using FCWIN2K. It will not work with OldCigarette's API wrapper pack either.

Strange... SHGetFolderPathAndSubDirW is an emulated function in the wrapper. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Safari 3.2.2 works, but will crash on loading certain images.