Last Versions of Software for Windows 2000

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to get iTunes 7.3.2 (there is a version specifically for Windows 2000) to work with an iPod nano 1st gen? I am running Win 2k in a VMware machine, with BlackWingCat's KEx, and the iPod isn't correctly recognized (appears with an yellow exclamation on Device Manager as an USB Mass Storage Device) and does not appear on iTunes. I remember that I had managed to do it once before but probably I was on Windows XP.

• 1 month later...

VirtualBox 1.5.6 is the final version officially supported for vanilla Windows 2000, but VirtualBox 2.0.4 is the final version using a modified kernel driver made by BWC.

But, if you use the extended kernel and core, you can use VirtualBox 4.1.22 (and possibly up to about 4.1.32 - 4.2 introduces driver incompatibilities). However, you must manually install the kernel/networking/USB drivers from the "drivers" folder in VirtualBox's program folder using the included infs.

USB 2.0 passthrough seems to be broken, just like in 1.5.x. 

Edited by win32

• 1 month later...

Virtual CloneDrive Revision History

Virtual CloneDrive 5.5.2.0: 2020 02 27
- Fix: Bug introduced in 5.5.1.0, ElbyCDIO did not
work with Windows Server OS, Windows XP, Windows Vista
- Some minor changes and improvements

Virtual CloneDrive 5.5.1.0: 2020 02 24
- New: ElbyCDIO driver update
- New: Slightly reduced CPU load on Windows 8 or better
- Fix: Some UDF images could crash VCDmount
- Change: Windows 2000 is no longer supported _!!!
- Some minor changes and improvements

Edited by sukistackhouse

Spybot search & destroy classic :)

Spybot's search & Destroy Classic Official Home

It still has phone dialer removals but it has resident TeaTimer and anti malware lists

The hosts file immunisation is not too extensive like others out there

We should really donate to them. Let them know we still need it.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
more info

There are still lots of media players we gotta find the final versions of:

ALLPlayer
FinalPlayer
ZoomPlayer
SMPlayer
KMPlayer
Pot Player
BSPlayer

and a bunch more...

Also, I tried updating the main list and creating a new one here:
https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/p/latest-versions-of-software-working-on.html

This one is also a big WIP. I'm still trying to get the software on this thread.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

• 3 weeks later...

Everything Search Engine (voidtools.com) version 1.4.1.969 (latest as of the writing of the post) works on Windows 2000, despite claiming support only for XP and newer. Tested on Win2000 Pro SP5.1, haven't tried vanilla 2K.

Edited by systremor

1 hour ago, systremor said:

Tested on Win2000 Pro SP5.1, haven't tried vanilla 2K.

USP 5.1 only contains official MS updates and is equivalent to SP4 UR1, so in this case, it is vanilla.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone know the last official version of intel inf update for windows 2000? when i was checking my files, and even wayback machine when it was the last time it showed the older OS menus on intel's site, showing windows 2000, although i couldn't select it through waybackmachine, i was able to check what was already given for all OS by default, and it showed version 9.2.0.1030" as the newest i believe. however, just today i noticed blackwingcat mentioning in his blog of a version "9.3.0.1019" being official i believe, which i went and downloaded ( yet to test ), and now i also found even a newer package which mentions windows 2000 in the readme, it is version "9.4.0.1027". 

my problem isn't so much on whether they will work, it's more that i would like to know what exactly is the last official version or not. being that i would wan't to install blackwingcat's latest intel ahci / raid package via setup AFTER applying all previous intel inf updates to ensure proper updating of the system. 

Edited by cov3rt

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 12:25 PM, bearwindows said:

It is not declared but XnView 2.35 is the latest version that works under Windows 2000

I have XnView 2.43 from May 2020 installed on my Windows 2000 SP4 (with BlackWingCat's extended kernel) and it works fine. Both the stable and portable versions work fine.

However, the official XnView plugin for HEIC images does not work on Windows 2000. Here is the info about that plugin:

==================================================================================

XnView is an Image viewer and converter software (available in installer and portable versions) that offers an external plugin
to open and view HEIC images on Windows platform. You can download the plugin with this link:

http://www.xnview.com/download/plugins/heif_x32.zip

After downloading, extract its content within the ‘Plugins‘ folder of XnView image viewer. Once the plugin is installed, you will
be required to enable ‘Display all image file types’ setting from Tools > Options > General to make the plugin work.

==================================================================================

When I extract and enable that plugin in Windows 7, it works well, and XnView is able to open HEIC images. But when I extract it and enable it in Windows 2000, it does not work.

Does anyone maybe know the reason why it doesn't work on Windows 2000? Right now I'm using Dropbox in New Moon web browser to view HEIC images in Windows 2000. But I would like to have an offline HEIC viewer.

• 2 weeks later...

This info is for Windows 2000 SP4 with BlackWingCat's extended kernel:

1. TeamViewer 8.0.258861 works fine. Though it does not detect my webcam (Logitech Quickcam 5000 Pro) for some reason. But I found a way to bypass the problem: I start Logitech webcam software and then share the screen in TeamViewer.

2. Allavsoft Video Downloader 3.22.9.7563 (the newest version as of today) works well. It is the best video downloader that I know, because it never refuses to download a video for unknown reasons (like YTD Video Downloader) and it can download virtually every Internet video that I tried (even Twitter videos, that no other video downloader I tried could do).

3. CamStudio 2.7.4 (the newest version as of today) works well. About video screencasting, there was no problem. But the audio recording was problematic. I managed to fix it (somehow) though I'm not sure if I could repeat that. When I chose to record audio from speakers, there was error message "WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed." and the resulting *.avi files had no sound. I uninstalled it, and tried installing older versions (2.7.2, 2.7.0, 2.6b), The error message "WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed." was persistent, until it suddenly stopped appearing. I installed the newest version again, and everything was fine (screen recording + audio grabbing).

According to the info that I have, Windows Movie Maker 1.2.1 is the last version that works fine on Windows 2000. But I cannot find it. I have only Windows Movie Maker 1.1 that I copied from a freshly installed Windows XP SP1. If anyone has the zipped folder of WMM 1.2.1 or the *.exe update file (that updates WMM 1.1 to WMM 1.2.1) could you please share a download link here?

The latest version of youtube-dl works fine, as well as the Youtube-DLG frontend after replacing its FFmpeg with a build by CoRoNe.

Also, the latest version of MPC-HC (1.9.7) works fine when using the Vista version of msvcrt.dll.

Both were tested with Extended Kernel v30f and unofficial VC++ runtimes by BWC (2010 through 2019).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 12:05 AM, TheSeer said:

This info is for Windows 2000 SP4 with BlackWingCat's extended kernel:

1. TeamViewer 8.0.258861 works fine. Though it does not detect my webcam (Logitech Quickcam 5000 Pro) for some reason. But I found a way to bypass the problem: I start Logitech webcam software and then share the screen in TeamViewer.

1. Actually, we can have much newer than this. Although the stable installer of TeamViewer 14.2 won't install, the portable will:

https://dl.teamviewer.com/download/version_14x/14.2.56673/TeamViewerPortable.zip

It works fine (and it detects my webcam). According to the official TeamViewer website, version 14.2 is the last one working on Windows XP, so I assume it is also the last one working on Windows 2k.

2. There is a lot of wrong info on the Internet that Opera 12.18 is the last working version on Windows 2k (with BlackwingCat's kernel extension). Opera Portable 36.0 installs and works just fine:

https://portableapps.com/downloading/?a=OperaPortable36&n=Opera%20Portable%20Legacy%2036&s=s&p=&d=pa&f=OperaPortable36_36.0.2130.80.paf.exe

Don't forget to add the flag --no-sandbox to the shortcut target.

3. Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112 also works on Windows 2k (that is the last official working version for Windows XP). But it is a bit problematic to install it:

1st try (failure): The online installer

https://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D{8A69D345-D564-463C-AFF1-A69D9E530F96}%26iid%3D{4CC3734A-87C1-54C2-D4DA-9B81661C8DDC}%26lang%3Den%26browser%3D3%26usagestats%3D0%26appname%3DGoogle%20Chrome%26needsadmin%3Dprefers%26ap%3Dstable-arch_x86%26installdataindex%3Dempty/update2/installers/ChromeSetup.exe?src=1&filename=ChromeSetup.exe

won't install on Windows 2000 ("This version of Windows is not supported" or something like that).

2nd try (also failure) The portable installer

https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Google Chrome Portable/GoogleChromePortable_49.0.2623.112_online.paf.exe/download

will install, but the executable ChromePortable.exe won't execute (like nothing happens, and the flag --no-sandbox does not help).

3rd try (success ): Install the online installer on Windows XP, and copy the installed folder to Windows 2000, to its original path:
C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application
Then copy the file chrome_elf.dll from Application\49.0.2623.112 subfolder to Application folder, right next to chrome.exe executable.
And that's it. Actually, it isn't. You also need to add the flag --no-sandbox to the shortcut target (and --disable-infobars also comes handy).

4. Skype for Web also works on Windows 2k. Check this article (and my comment there) for more details:

http://www.skaip.org/skype-for-web-on-windows-xp-and-windows-vista

Edited by TheSeer