Last Versions of Software for Windows 2000

"The Adobe Flash Player 10.2 no longer supports Microsoft Windows 2000"

Both the IE and non-IE version install fine, but throw an exception at the end. Both IE6 and Firefox Nightly use 10.2 properly.

No modifications required.

Flash Player 10.3 (ActiveX and plugin versions) both work perfectly fine on 2000.

the latter builds of Flash Player 10.3 (10.3.183.15 and greater) won't install nor run under Win2000 w/out KernelEx for Win2000 or KDW / FCWIN2k.

Flash Player versions 10.3.183.11 and earlier can install and run on Win2k without the need for unofficial kernel32 for Win2000.

Opera has ended support for Win2000 starting with Opera 12.50 snapshot build 1513.

so last version of Opera to support Win2000 is Opera 12.00 (or 12.01 if ever that one comes out).

I have a couple of questions here:

1. Has Opera stated that Windows 2000 (and older versions of Windows XP) will no longer be officially supported in Opera 12.50?

2. What dependencies will Opera use that do not exist either in Opera 12.50?

Starting in Opera 13, it's obvious that the support code for Windows 2000 will get removed for sure. There will eventually be a Opera 12.1x and it's obvious that Opera will continue to support Win2k until the end of this year.

With Opera dropping Win2k support and Firefox 10 ESR coming to a end after 2012, there will be no supported browser that will work on Win2k anymore.

With Opera dropping Win2k support and Firefox 10 ESR coming to a end after 2012, there will be no supported major browser that will work on Win2k anymore.

Corrected :whistle: There exist browsers other than Chrome / Firefox / IE / Opera that do support Win2k.

As for Opera 11.50 12.50:

It requires uxtheme.dll and one dependency related to kernel32.dll in opera.dll to be fixed. It's still compiled in VS2008 (?) so no unofficial kernel is required to run.

Edited by tomasz86

With Opera dropping Win2k support and Firefox 10 ESR coming to a end after 2012, there will be no supported major browser that will work on Win2k anymore.

Corrected :whistle: There exist browsers other than Chrome / Firefox / IE / Opera that do support Win2k.

As for Opera 11.50:

It requires uxtheme.dll and one dependency related to kernel32.dll in opera.dll to be fixed. It's still compiled in VS2008 (?) so no unofficial kernel is required to run.

Thanks for telling me. By the way, do you mean Opera 12.50 or Opera 11.50. Opera is indeed still compiled with Visual Studio 2008, but when Opera 12.50 is released after this year, I bet that it will start including dependencies that do not exist on Win2k. What dependency in kernel32.dll in opera.dll are you talking about, btw?

It was a typo. I meant Opera 12.50 :blushing:

The dependency was "GetUserGeoID" if my memory is right (I can't check at the moment). It's present in both unofficial kernels.

Thanks for telling me. GetUserGeoID is present starting with Windows XP SP2. We don't know if Opera 12.50 will also discontinue support for older hardware such as the Pentium III or the AMD Athlon XP too. :(

In that case, Opera 12.50 will not support Win2k, Windows XP without SP2 or Windows Server 2003 RTM anymore.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Thanks for telling me. GetUserGeoID is present starting with Windows XP SP2. We don't know if Opera 12.50 will also discontinue support for older hardware such as the Pentium III or the AMD Athlon XP too. :(

In that case, Opera 12.50 will not support Win2k, Windows XP without SP2 or Windows Server 2003 RTM anymore.

Well, frankly speaking, this is only my opinion but Opera for desktop seems to be almost dead anyway :} The only (really, not so called) stable version of Opera is 11.64 while the whole 12.xx series is extremely buggy. Opera has never been known for its stability (it used to crash on javascript / Flash a lot) but the current situation is just terrible. I always used Opera but recently have almost switched to Firefox as it's just much more stable, offers a lot of more functions and customisation, there are many more useful extensions available, etc. Opera's only advantage over Firefox is that it's faster (especially the fact that the UI is responsive even when many pages are being loaded which is a problem in Fx) but there are just too many other flaws.

Well, frankly speaking, this is only my opinion but Opera for desktop seems to be almost dead anyway :} The only (really, not so called) stable version of Opera is 11.64 while the whole 12.xx series is extremely buggy. Opera has never been known for its stability (it used to crash on javascript / Flash a lot) but the current situation is just terrible. I always used Opera but recently have almost switched to Firefox as it's just much more stable, offers a lot of more functions and customisation, there are many more useful extensions available, etc. Opera's only advantage over Firefox is that it's faster (especially the fact that the UI is responsive even when many pages are being loaded which is a problem in Fx) but there are just too many other flaws.

That's what i've been thinking. Only 2.2% of users still use Opera and the developers biggest reasons why Win2k support is being dropped is not only that OS hasn't been supported for almost two years, but now less than .1% of users still use that OS and sadly vendor support is fading; infact, almost all vendors have dropped support for that OS and it has became increasingly difficult, if not impossible for the team to continue to maintain Opera support for Opera. I kinda feel sad that dropping Opera support on Win2k was a tough decision for them. :(

How did you know that Opera 12 on Win2k is extremely buggy, btw?

Opera 12 is extremely buggy in general, not only on Win2k. I think that it shouldn't have been released at all in the current form. In reality it seems to be still a beta, definitely not a stable version.

And I knew it was buggy because I tried to use it as soon as the so called "stable" version was released... but it was impossible. At the moment the only version of Opera which can be used to browse the Web without experiencing (too many) problems is 11.64.

Opera 12 is extremely buggy in general, not only on Win2k. I think that it shouldn't have been released at all in the current form. In reality it seems to be still a beta, definitely not a stable version.

And I knew it was buggy because I tried to use it as soon as the so called "stable" version was released... but it was impossible. At the moment the only version of Opera which can be used to browse the Web without experiencing (too many) problems is 11.64.

I kinda imaging that Opera 12 is extremely buggy on all platforms. I was wondering of Opera 12.01 and Opera 12.1x fixed these problems. :whistle:

I kinda imaging that Opera 12 is extremely buggy on all platforms. I was wondering of Opera 12.01 and Opera 12.1x fixed these problems. :whistle:

Yes, Opera 12.50 alpha works much better than the official "stable" 12.00 but it's still very far from perfect.

By the way, the guys from http://dexpot.de/ did a lot of work to be sure that the new version of Dexpot 1.6 won't run in Win2k. It's built in VS2010 so by default it doesn't even launch in a stock Win2k... Normally the blockade is gone after installing unofficial kernel but not here. They even added a special "welcome" message which is displayed when trying to launch dexpot.exe after installing UURollup-v10b:

post-310716-0-75972400-1342924253_thumb.

I don't know how to patch the file (dexpot.exe) permanently but this reg files will let you switch dexpot.exe compatiblity on and off:

Dexpot2k_ON.reg

Dexpot2k_OFF.reg

This is a temporary solution so if you reinstall the system or copy the Dexpot folder to a different system you'll have to add the registry entry again.

Edited by tomasz86

Yes, Opera 12.50 alpha works much better than the official "stable" 12.00 but it's still very far from perfect.

By the way, the guys from http://dexpot.de/ did a lot of work to be sure that the new version of Dexpot 1.6 won't run in Win2k. It's built in VS2010 so by default it doesn't even launch in a stock Win2k... Normally the blockade is gone after installing unofficial kernel but not here. They even added a special "welcome" message which is displayed when trying to launch dexpot.exe after installing UURollup-v10b:

post-310716-0-75972400-1342924253_thumb.

I don't know how to patch the file (dexpot.exe) permanently but this reg files will let you switch dexpot.exe compatiblity on and off:

Dexpot2k_ON.reg

Dexpot2k_OFF.reg

This is a temporary solution so if you reinstall the system or copy the Dexpot folder to a different system you'll have to add the registry entry again.

I can't believe that they added the OS check stating that the operating system version is no longer supported or that it no longer even supports some versions of Windows XP. If Dexpot 1.6 doesn't even launch on Win2k, you'd get a error that the "access to the directory is invalid" or "[filename.exe] is not a valid Win32 application".

I'm wondering if it's even possible to using a utility that will remove OS checks or use KDW, set the compatibility to Windows Server 2003 and try to run the app. By the way, I suspect that after version 1.6 of Dexpot, it's obvious that version 1.7 maybe complied in MSVC 2012 and it will most likely not support Windows XP/Server 2003 at all.

If Dexpot 1.6 doesn't even launch on Win2k, you'd get a error that the "access to the directory is invalid" or "[filename.exe] is not a valid Win32 application".

You do get the "not a valid Win32 application" error if you try to launch it in a stock Win2k... but then after UURollup is installed it still checks for the OS version and refuses to launch :w00t:

The registry setting from above does exactly the same thing as KDW. The problem is that it's not permanent. I'd be interested in modifying the dexpot.exe once and for all.

Edited by tomasz86

If Dexpot 1.6 doesn't even launch on Win2k, you'd get a error that the "access to the directory is invalid" or "[filename.exe] is not a valid Win32 application".

You do get the "not a valid Win32 application" error if you try to launch it in a stock Win2k... but then after UURollup is installed it still checks for the OS version and refuses to launch :w00t:

The registry setting from above does exactly the same thing as KDW. The problem is that it's not permanent. I'd be interested in modifying the dexpot.exe once and for all.

That's correct. I believe that the last free version of Dexpot was version 1.4, if I can recall.