Newbie question

manuk

When I try integrating the drivers specific to my hardware, I am asked to specify .inf files, but what I have on the driver CDs that came with the hardware is .exe, .msi, .sys, .dll etc files. How do I integrate these? I can always use one of the driverpacks available online, but I want to include drivers specific only to my system. I am using Vista with SP1.

Also, if one inf file is all that is needed to configure a product, then why do vendors ship CDs with their products?

When I try integrating the drivers specific to my hardware, I am asked to specify .inf files, but what I have on the driver CDs that came with the hardware is .exe, .msi, .sys, .dll etc files. How do I integrate these? I can always use one of the driverpacks available online, but I want to include drivers specific only to my system. I am using Vista with SP1.

Also, if one inf file is all that is needed to configure a product, then why do vendors ship CDs with their products?

.inf is all you would typically need. Some times manufacturers pack 'em up in these other executables for streamlined installation. Easier for most users. Assuming you'll need all the inf files embedded in the .exe's etc. you have two options. Firstly you can extract the contents of these installers using uniextracter (Google it) and compile them into a single folder (say...on your desktop). Keep in mind that installshield installers are often difficult to extract files from even with uniextracter. Once they are compiled, and you have added the other .inf files you require for your hardware, use vLite to integrate the folder full of drivers.

Another option which would be more effective at ensuring you integrate a more updated set of drivers would be to ensure that all of your machine's hardware drivers are installed and up to date. Go to device manager and use the "Update Driver" option on all of your major devices. Then download DriverMax, and launch it. Use it to EXPORT all of your machine's drivers that are currently in use. Then use that exported package of drivers for integration. When you are at the integration tab, import an entire folder and vLite will automatically grab all the .inf's it needs. Now you'll have just the drivers that you need integrated into your new OS.