DSL on 98SE?

delaford

I notice that most DSL companies have system requirements, and I'm not surprised to see that they start with XP and up.

What's the sysrq for? I assume drivers for the hardware, but I don't believe for a second that people running SE can't use high-speed Internet.

I think I'd "like" to use Verizon - at least, they have our phone already and their deal looks best. I've heard bad things, though (more often in the past), so if they're not a good choice, warn me!

I am curious who is a good DSL provider, but I'm really asking - what DSL can I get, say $20/month, about 1.0mbps/400k to 1.5/500, that will work with 98SE? I suspect that any will, but I'd like to be sure. A baby's coming, and I'd like to be working from home by November, thus the switch to modern Internet at long last.

Is anyone using Verizon DSL with 98SE?

My ISP is i2k, which if I understand correctly is actually Verison DSL separated from their phone service. I believe they referred to it as a "dry loop" setup. They were cheaper than Version for the same service. Shop around. My primary PC is multi-boot, with 98FE, 98SE, Win2000, and 2 Linux versions. Speed tests at various sites show that I average of 90% of the rated speed most of the time with all of them. I'm using the low end DSL service, 864/160 which is under $20/month. They offer faster service but this is fast enough for my needs and I'm too cheap to pay more for speed I don't need. There's several threads in the 98 section of the forum about this where other users are running much faster.

The only requirement for DSL on 98 is a good network card, which should come with its own drivers. You don't need drivers for the DSL modem unless you try to connect to it via USB. Even if you have USB drivers, ethernet will give you better performance.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

I notice that most DSL companies have system requirements, and I'm not surprised to see that they start with XP and up.

What's the sysrq for? I assume drivers for the hardware, but I don't believe for a second that people running SE can't use high-speed Internet.

I think I'd "like" to use Verizon - at least, they have our phone already and their deal looks best. I've heard bad things, though (more often in the past), so if they're not a good choice, warn me!

I am curious who is a good DSL provider, but I'm really asking - what DSL can I get, say $20/month, about 1.0mbps/400k to 1.5/500, that will work with 98SE? I suspect that any will, but I'd like to be sure. A baby's coming, and I'd like to be working from home by November, thus the switch to modern Internet at long last.

When I was on Windows 98 First Edition, I went from 5 kb per second (dial up) to 12 mbps per second (cable). Providing your connection (In your case USB) can handle the speed, you should have no issues getting 1.5 mbps from Windows 98 Second Edition.

Bear in mind the server in which you are accessing your webpage, download, what have you will, have a stronger affect on how long you can extract 1.5 mbps before throttling occurs.

The only thing to worry about with Win98 (or other older operating systems) is having a network card and PPPoE. PPPoE is when an ID (typically you're email address) and password are required to use the DSL service.

You'll want the network card (that has 98 drivers). You may (or may not) have usb drivers for your OS with this DSL modem. DSL is a network technology and I'm not a fan of any networking over USB.

-----

If your ISP doesn't use PPPoE, but you use a static IP? You're set.

-----

If your ISP require PPPoE login, here's how you can use DSL with your older OS.

Have a router? You're set. (It handles the PPPoE)

Don't have a router, but you're DSL modem does PPPoE? You're set.

No router and your DSL modem doesn't do PPPoE?, you'll need PPPoE software I belive one is called WinPoet. There might be others.

-----

Of course you need to put the settings into your router or network card or PPPoE software as appropriate.

Thank you for all the replies. It sounds like DSL could work well for us, then.

Am I correct in assuming that nowadays if I own a NIC any DSL connection could be routed into my computer by plugging the DSL modem my computer's NIC? The moment I heard "USB connection" I felt a sinking feeling inside me.

Understand that ISPs have system requirements for support purposes only. They either relate directly to the optional software they provide, or the level their tech support will help with. For example, system requirements typically reflect the hardware requirements of currently supported operating systems. So if they start their support at XP and up, XP's hardware requirements will be used. This is because companies do not wish to continue training their reps to support end of life operating systems, especially since very few people use them still. It comes down to the amount of money spent to train vs actual use in the field. So say training costs $4,000 per person for a 1 week class. If they have a class of 30 people to train them on Windows 98, that money adds up. This becomes useless if their support center only gets maybe 5 calls for Windows 98 in one year. Then, this money spent training becomes wasted.

I used the figure for $4,000 per person in a 1 week training because this was the amount my former company spent on training my class in Radius support. It is an example. I do not understand how they got that figure, but it is the one they gave to us.

In reality, the true system requirements are to have a network card that runs the same speed as the network port on the modem. So you can have a Windows 3.1 PC connected to DSL and it will work fine as long as you have the network card and the drivers for it.

If your computer is connected to their service and does not meet the support requirements, it doesn't mean it won't work. It just means that if you are having a problem with it, the ISP will not provide support for your computer.

Thank you for all the replies. It sounds like DSL could work well for us, then.

Am I correct in assuming that nowadays if I own a NIC any DSL connection could be routed into my computer by plugging the DSL modem my computer's NIC? The moment I heard "USB connection" I felt a sinking feeling inside me.

All posts are correct. If the DSL modem has NIC interface, you are set to go. If USB interface only, then you may get into driver problems. Just ensure the modem you get has a NIC connection. (Reread other comments.)

I have Cable (RoadRunner) with modem having both connections. Any operating system works with the NIC connection (always on). USB is a different story...

• 1 month later...

I have a 7mbps dsl and it works great (ethernet modem) but i had to install the vtcp.386 patch and change some tcp/ip settings (as window scaling and tcp receive window), otherwise single connection bandwidth is limited to 600-800 kbps.

Edited by sombrero

Surprisingly enough I was able to get my Linksys USB wireless adapter to work on my old 98 SE box without any difficulty. The connection manager software and driver said for XP/Vista only, but they installed without issue from the CD. In 10 minutes I was connected. I do have the Unofficial Service Pack for Win 98 SE and I think it includes a USB driver of some sort. Probably one of the reasons it worked right off.

Any internet company is going to tell you Windows XP or later due to support. Any connection will work on a 9x machine, but your ISP may not provide support if something goes wrong.

Another part of the requirement for it is drivers if you use a USB hookup on your modem. If you connect via USB, you will need the drivers for it.....You should always connect via ethernet, its a lot faster and more reliable...plus you don't need drivers.

Get whatever ISP you want, as long as you connect with ethernet you will be fine.