synaptics touchpad broken

Birds

From my experience, NOTHING can break mouse support. Even if you removed everything in nLite (and lived to tell :lol: ).

I examined your last session ini and nothing stands out. Maybe USB polling patch. Other candidates (VERY slim chance): Multifunctional, Serial Pen Tablet, Multi-port serial adapters.

One thing I would suspect is you have the wrong driver and/or one that depends on something removed.

GL

I did one with no 'hardware support' removed. Still no good. Even if I re-install the synaptics drivers after XP.

Note that synaptics touchpad is broken, but USB mice works fine. Does that mean anything?

In device manager, it shows 'synaptics ps/2 port pointing device' as the only under mice and etc..

and no errors shown there.

resources shows IRQ12, no conflicts

Is there a way to change the USB polling patch value in my 'installed' system and see if it can be fixed?

Edited by Birds

I did one with no 'hardware support' removed. Still no good. Even if I re-install the synaptics drivers after XP.

Note that synaptics touchpad is broken, but USB mice works fine. Does that mean anything?

In device manager, it shows 'synaptics ps/2 port pointing device' as the only under mice and etc..

and no errors shown there.

resources shows IRQ12, no conflicts

I think the only way to know for sure is to do a (test) install of full XP.

Is there a way to change the USB polling patch value in my 'installed' system and see if it can be fixed?

Restore the original file from the original CD.

But which file was it... :blushing:

portcls.sys? Google tells me it's usbport.sys (unless Nlite does it differently).

GL

yes it works with a FULL cd.

Unless it means including the synaptics touchpad driver is bad?

When I do driver folders, eg Intel Chipset with 50 infs, does it matter if I add it as 'single' or 'folder', and which inf I choose?

Cuz when I choose the folder, it doesn't list many infs, but just the directory name. I remember the old version would show a list of items to choose from?

Edited by Birds

Sorry, it is the synaptics touchpad driver ! If after dead XP I remove the synaptics touchpad driver then the mouse moves!(?)

argh. I dunno what to do. I checked the drivers from the synaptics page again, it's fine.

unless either my touchpad isn't a real synaptics

or sth wrong with the latest drivers

Edited by Birds

I think it would be better not to integrate both drivers (synaptics and Intel Inf) at least until you resolve the issue (with experimenting, if you have the will to do it). ;)

Experimenting = what happens if you install synaptics driver on a full windows installation? Does it work then? Also, on nlited installation but without synaptics integrated.

They are non-essential for the operation of windows. You can install them later after installation.

About your question about Intel Inf - I don't know, as I've never integrated it. :( Maybe someone else can tell, I'd like to know too.

Good luck and happy nliting. :hello:

GL

It looks like you're having problems with the generic Synaptics driver and you could have a look at a newer one and see if it installs. I also think you might be getting a conflict from the Synaptics USB filter driver synhid.inf and you probably want just the PS2 synpd.inf.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-42487

i8042prt.sys is handled by a call to msmouse.inf in the synpd.inf file.

Anyway, looking at the last session.ini it looks like Birds is trying to install the generic Synaptics v10.1.8 drivers onto a new Kogan Agora linux netbook. There are no Windows drivers provided for it, so either get newer ones like at the link I posted, or use the default XP drivers.

The generic drivers seem to be causing the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

your synaptic touch pad is just disabled to enable it hold down your blue "fn" button and press "F7" and it will magically come back to life i had this same problem and it took me 3 hours to find it in the manual. also as a side note I have an aspire one so you may have a different fn function key combo placement then I do but a quick look at your manual should tell you the answer.

Edited by EisNayk