driver question

kazanti

I'm trying to configure a slip for a school district with multiple hardware platforms mostly Dell and HP

The drivers that are not included in XP are usually the NIC and Video drivers and tend to come in an .exe format.

I'm extracting from the EXE using 7zip

So here is my questions:

1) Do I just need the .inf from the extractions or should I make a network share with the full contents of the extracted file?

2) For things like chipsets or tablet utilities do I need to extract all the sub exe's and look for all .inf files?

3) Utilities like the Toshiba TRot (Toshiba Rotation utility) is that entered like any other driver or do I need to do something special?

Thank You in advance for any and all help, I'm new to NLite and I was unable to find the answers to these topics by mining the forum, if I missed a thread please just post the link and I apologize if I duplicated a topic.

I am using nlite for personal use only so could anyone answer the OP's questions? They are very timely for me. I am interested in knowing how to work with driver exe files with nlite.

I'm trying to configure a slip for a school district with multiple hardware platforms mostly Dell and HP

The drivers that are not included in XP are usually the NIC and Video drivers and tend to come in an .exe format.

I'm extracting from the EXE using 7zip

So here is my questions:

1) Do I just need the .inf from the extractions or should I make a network share with the full contents of the extracted file?

2) For things like chipsets or tablet utilities do I need to extract all the sub exe's and look for all .inf files?

3) Utilities like the Toshiba TRot (Toshiba Rotation utility) is that entered like any other driver or do I need to do something special?

Thank You in advance for any and all help, I'm new to NLite and I was unable to find the answers to these topics by mining the forum, if I missed a thread please just post the link and I apologize if I duplicated a topic.

b3l, I think there are many posts here concerning this. After you DL the driver, then extract it (I use 7-Zip). Locate the applicable .inf files and point nLite to them. By applicable, it is meant that it is for your OS and the HW you have. Sometimes drivers contain support for several OSs and maybe HW setups. We would have to look at drivers that had buried .exe files. Some of these can and/or may need to be extracted. I have no idea what Toshiba Rotation utility is, but the only thing that goes in the driver section is drivers not applications. Catalyst drivers can contain Catalyst Control Center (CCC). This is not a driver and needs to be separated and installed like an application. Enjoy, John

Hello John, thanks for replying. I really have been reading this site all day for the last two days. While I am new to nlite since yesterday, I have already tested out the program and slipstreamed drivers and SP3. I've read a number of excellent threads/guides - one in particular about Intel chipset drivers and HD recognition has been extremely helpful. There is a lot of great info, but there is so much of it that I'm having a hard time finding what I need. I did manage to figure out that I need to download and unpack the driver files to locate the particular inf's for my devices and OS. I also learned that that there is much more inside those files than inf's and that this is where the harder part begins.

We would have to look at drivers that had buried .exe files. Some of these can and/or may need to be extracted
You have pinpointed exactly what I have already discovered and would like to learn more about. Thank you for your understanding. I will stumble along in my quest for more information about slipstreaming video drivers. Cheers.