RAM overclocking

mara-

Hi,

I'm trying to overclock my RAM, and I need some help here. You can see my configuration in my signature. To overclock the RAM, and to keep my stock CPU speed, I figured that I can increase core speed and reduce multiplier. This works fine until some point. My stock core speed is 200. I managed to put it to 235 and to reduce multiplier to 10. I got some improvements with my RAM speed. I tested with Everest. But I want to improve it more and here is the problem. In my BIOS it says that range of core is from 100 to 450, but I can't put it higher then 235. If I put it higher my computer wont start. It just freezes on BIOS screen. Only thing that I can do then is hard reset and then BIOS will report overclocking failure. Now, can somebody tell me why is this happening and can it be solved somehow? Thanks.

Cheers ;)

if the bios is now allowing it then it probloy cant be fixed

see it probloy going to explode if you put it more then 235 Lol

overclocking can destory the mother bored so make sure that you dont over clock it to much plus you may have ready done that so look at your temps

Yes, I left the value to 235 but reduced multiplier to 10. Temperatures are fine. But I would like to know why is this happening, what is that limits it to 235? I'm asking because I sow on some other forum that guy can't pass above 220. He also have same motherboard. So there is something that creates limit here, and I wold like to know what?

Cheers ;)

I don't see how overclocking RAM is going to do you any good. If your goal is to improve performance, won't you be better off leaving the RAM as it is and overclock the CPU instead? Just a thought...

Yes, I left the value to 235 but reduced multiplier to 10. Temperatures are fine. But I would like to know why is this happening, what is that limits it to 235? I'm asking because I sow on some other forum that guy can't pass above 220. He also have same motherboard. So there is something that creates limit here, and I wold like to know what?

Cheers ;)

The limitation you're seeing can be caused by a number of things - type of RAM, CPU, motherboard, FSB, etc. Limitations in overclocking varies from system to system. Just because you can achieve a certain speed, doesn't necessarily mean someone else can (with the same motherboard).

Another thing, run Prime95 and/or Memtest for at least 8 hours to ensure (overclock) stability.

Edited by mongo66

In this case it's the chipset that is the limited factor, plus the BIOS isn't giving any real OC options either. The Intel 945 chip set is made for 800MT/s FSB, so by setting the quad pumped bus to 235 you get 940MT/s. Although ASUS says it's a board that supports natively 1066MT/s and OCed 1333MT/s, it's clear that it can't. That CPU can hit at 1.35V over the 3.2GHz and the RAM for sure can pull more than 667MHz as well.

OK, thanks for explanation. BTW, what do you think about this motherboard. It fits for my budget and I think it's good, but I would like to hear your opinion. And, it should be compatible with other components I already have, right?

Cheers ;)

I could find price for few models from this list, but it ways much more expensive then ASUS. Only GIGABYTE motherboard that supports DDR2 ad DDR3 is GA-EP45C-UD3R and I could not find the price for it. It seems that I'll have to stick with model I found.

Cheers ;)

Okay, listen, no need for DDR3 as the chipset controls the RAM, if it was for a i7 I would say yes with triple RAM groups.

Keep it with a DDR2 P35 if they are cheap or if they are the same price as a P45 board go with the P45 of course.

OK, thanks for the tip. Last question. Can I use PCIe graphic card on PCIe 2 slot? Will I be able to use my graphic card you see in my configuration on PCIe 2 slot?

Cheers ;)