harryleg

Hi

I have a ACER ASPIRE M3641

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Motherboard - MCP73PV

memory - DDR2-(pc5300) 4gb

Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

would like to replace with Windows xp pro

ACER say this can not be done, the motherboard and Bios was bulid for Windows Vista only

this is correct, or can someone out there tell me how to install windows xp pro

HELP ? HELP ? HELP ? David :blushing:

harryleg, I would at least ask for confirmation from the MB maker. I do not recognize the brand. If you know the manufacturer of the board, e-mail them and ask. It is to their advantage to allow you to run the OS of your choice. Some are still running W2K. Please let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

Come on, I'd expect more out of a mod than just pushing Vistaids on some poor guy. If you like Vistaids, then fine, that's your "problem", but if someone wants to be enlightened with XP, at least let people help...

Yes, of course you can run XP on that machine. There is no such thing as a computer that "won't support" XP. You'll have a hard time finding drivers and such, but it can always be done. And it'll take more tech skills than you may already have... not many people will be patient enough to deal with someone that doesn't understand what a SATA driver is, or doesn't understand what a device's VID/PID is...

You did post in the wrong forum, though... it doesn't exactly belong in the nLite forum although you'll probably need to use nLite to accomplish your goal.

But having said this, do you still think you have "what it takes" to undertake such a considerably large feat? ;)

Come on, I'd expect more out of a mod than just pushing Vistaids on some poor guy. If you like Vistaids, then fine, that's your "problem", but if someone wants to be enlightened with XP, at least let people help...

Yes, of course you can run XP on that machine. There is no such thing as a computer that "won't support" XP. You'll have a hard time finding drivers and such, but it can always be done. And it'll take more tech skills than you may already have... not many people will be patient enough to deal with someone that doesn't understand what a SATA driver is, or doesn't understand what a device's VID/PID is...

You did post in the wrong forum, though... it doesn't exactly belong in the nLite forum although you'll probably need to use nLite to accomplish your goal.

But having said this, do you still think you have "what it takes" to undertake such a considerably large feat? ;)

the only thing in you entire post that i can agree with is that this doesnt belong in the nlite forum. Moving to XP.

Hi

I have a ACER ASPIRE M3641

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Motherboard - MCP73PV

memory - DDR2-(pc5300) 4gb

Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

would like to replace with Windows xp pro

ACER say this can not be done, the motherboard and Bios was bulid for Windows Vista only

this is correct, or can someone out there tell me how to install windows xp pro

HELP ? HELP ? HELP ? David :blushing:

There is no reason that I'm aware of, with my 3 years working in the field, that you can't downgrade a computer to XP. You'll just need to hunt down drivers. I recommend Unknown Devices as a good program to hunt them down with. However, as stated earlier, it may be more then you can handle. :unsure:

The only trouble is slipstreaming the sata driver for motherboard's chipshet with nlite

or at least disabling sata within bios.

Drivers for xp : http://komku.blogspot.com/2009/01/aspire-m...ows-xp-and.html.

According to http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/08/22/h...t-extra-charge/

and http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/22/c...om-vista-to-xp/

you have the right (with some exceptions) to downgrade from vista to xp.

Edited by TechFind

hi

thanks for your help

got the computer from PC World

6 month ago, all way used Windows xp pro before

just can not get on with VISTA, it doing my head in

if Iam in the wrong forum can someone send me in the right direction

would like to install Windows xp 64 bit, but do not know where to started

would be please with some help of any kind

where do a start

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

For a moment I thought you could have the same problem I had with Windows 98.

I wish you can install XP in your new machine. I also love the "oldie".

Cheers :hello:

hi

thanks for your help

got the computer from PC World

6 month ago, all way used Windows xp pro before

if Iam in the wrong forum can someone send me in the right direction

would like to install Windows xp 64 bit, but do not know where to started

would be please with some help of any kind

where do a start

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

I wouldn't install Windows XP 64 bit for general use. I'd stick with XP or XP Pro 32. Should work for you just fine.

No windows 32 will only see and use 3-3.5 gigs...

No real big deal thjough because I am assuming you have dual channel capabilities which makes up for the slight loss of ram in speed.

Personally even though ALOT of people like 64bit I just don't thikn it's refined enough in the XP and Vista OS's to be usefull yet. (Plus drivers are alot harder to find)

No windows 32 will only see and use 3-3.5 gigs...

No real big deal thjough because I am assuming you have dual channel capabilities which makes up for the slight loss of ram in speed.

Personally even though ALOT of people like 64bit I just don't thikn it's refined enough in the XP and Vista OS's to be usefull yet. (Plus drivers are alot harder to find)

Exactly, I'd make life easier on yourself and go with 32-bit unless you are a power-user (AutoCAD, etc), or a dork. ;P

It may seem cool at first, but it'll get old hunting down drivers and hoping the software you buy is compatible with it. For example for the longest time Webroot SpySweeper wasn't compatible with it, however I just googled it and it now is.

Like I said though, make your life easier. I have XP Pro 32 bit with 4GB installed, Showing as 3.3GB... with a dual core processor and my computer's blazing fast. It's the one I use for work and I regularly have an access 07 database up, Outlook 07, VMs of XP Pro(Virus testing), Windows 7, and server 2003 up, as well as Internet Explorer 8 for help desk and remote support app. In addition to all of this that is up all the time, I can do all the work I need to do for my job with absolutely no slowdown.

Edited by kingsc