Slow boot-up with Vista ultimate

BJMckay

I am a little green with Vista, i have Vista ultimate ver: 6.0.6001 service Pack 1, i installed clean on a 250Gb primary partition last week, and have noticed it is very slow booting up.

So much so, that my other machine with Xp Pro leaves it for dead, i have checked the start-up services, programs etc, and i have turned off the ones i dont need, yet it still takes about 5 to 5 and half mins to drop back to idle. :}

Is this normal for Vista? or does it need to be tuned for quicker boot time? Am i missing something here?

Any ideas?

Edited by BJMckay

The link to "windows performance toolkit" which is requierd to run the traces by cluberti, is dead.

Is there another link to it?, i looked, but could not find it, or was sent to the same page which says link is dead.

Edited by BJMckay

Can I just quickly ask, do you have an external hard drive or some other form of removable storage plugged in on boot? I have found that vista freezes up for about 30 seconds on boot when I have mine plugged in. You can usually hit the power button and turn off the external HDD, or simply pull the USB cable out.