Fileset 9, all done

fdv

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Were you talking about SCRIPTEN.EXE or wordpad.exe being in the dllcache folder?

Cheers and Regards

Wordpad

@ Martin H

Wordpad was only in the dllcache folder. Thanks you for trying to help me. I really appreciate it.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

You're most welcome, mate!

Well, since FDV haven't replied yet, then I have just quickly glanced at a wordpad.inf file I found on the net(i've changed to GNU/Linux and isn't using Windows anymore), and from that then I can see that you also needs to uncomment 'write.exe' from layout.inf/txtsetup.sif, as else wordpad.inf will fail to launch, since it needs that file.

If it still dosen't work after a reinstall(use a VM e.g. VirtualBox), then open sysoc.inf from '%windir%\INF' and remove the 'HIDE' from the 'MSWordpad' entry you uncommented earlier and then see if you can install it from add/remove Windows components...

Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

Some more about Favorites. Attached is a png that shows a current install (1) and the "fileset with updated TimeZones" (from the other thread) install (2).

In the install I use now me or the fileset has managed to get rid of "Add to F" and "Organize F" (and the separator). I also got an 'unused icons arrow' instead which I do not want. Alas I don't know anymore how this came about.

As you can see install 2 resurrects "add to" and "organize". I'm not sure if the Media directory was there after install. I think I've deleted it. (BTW I used to think the actual URLs were inside a Binary Value in the registry)

As you can also see I'm using Favorites nowadays for shortcuts to dirs and disks. I like that and it's why I go on about it.

I really would like to know how to:

1 Get rid of "Add to F" and "Organize F"

2 Not get this arrow thingy

3 Not get the Media directory or contents

4 rearrange the shortcuts I want if that is possible (only by renaming?)

In the bottom-right (3) of the pic you'll see a .txt that's been renamed to .url and it has an empty item in it's right-click menu. An 'Internet Shortcut' does already have an 'open' action but the command that goes with it ends with '%|'. Not a 1 but a | (pipe). If I change that to a 1 the 'open' gets added but the empty item is still there.

(I see more file types have it and thought if a browser gets installed maybe it will overwrite the command. No, install (1) has Opera and FF and also has it.)

Is this how it should be?

Long time ago you said you wanted View->Thumbnails to stay for..... I don't know what for. Are you planning to do something with it or can you tell me how to get it out?

post-203993-127472120278_thumb.png

Edited by Brabant

No, these were unintended.

I will compare and see what I changed. I also left Set 8 up; that probably doesn't have the same problem so I am guessing I "accidented" some reg settings in Set 9.

With set 8k things are as in install 2 (so with "add to" and "organize") but without the Media dir.

"4 rearrange the shortcuts I want if that is possible (only by renaming?)" - I hadn't tried drag&drop then. A bit too advanced you know.

Edited by Brabant

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning to make a CD of this again soon for an old, POS laptop.

Would HFSLIP 1.7.9 be a better choice than the latest beta? Or does it really matter?

Sorry, my original was somewhat poorly worded.

I meant to say is there any benefit, in relation to the 2000 FDV fileset, of using the latest HFSLIP beta over the stable 1.7.9 version, or is it not worth it?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Would the error "Setup cannot set the required Windows 2000 configuration information" be related to winnt.sif?

No it doesn't. I've only just now needed a (new) 2k and decided to use the fileset that is currently linked to (last changed is shell.in_ at 10-06-2010). That gives this error in vpc2007.

What issue(s) should this fileset solve?

Edited by Brabant

Would the error "Setup cannot set the required Windows 2000 configuration information" be related to winnt.sif?

These errors are from the HIVE files. Probably HIVESFT.

Help me out here guys. Run a file compare with the earlier ver and tell me what you find.

Some time ago in some other thread you posted a file with new timezones. That file was 83KB and after fixing it was 64KB. The new hivesft is 251KB vs 179KB for the older one. Also the fixed TZ file has lines commented out like the old hivesft, not like the new one. Like:

lines 1248-1250 in the new file:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones","TZVersion",0x00010001,00,01,da,07

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones","TZBaseYear",0x00010001,da,07,00,00

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones","KBLast",0x00010001,00,01,da,07

these three are at the end of the TZ section both in the old set and in the fix you posted earlier.

I could only find these two lines added to hivesft:

line 114

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Msi.Patch\shell\Open\command",,,"""%11%\msiexec.exe"" /p ""%1"" %*"

line 438

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer","InstallerLocation",0x00000000,"%10%\system32\"

I've replaced the TZ stuff with that from the fix and will run that. But not now because it's 00:40 in ze night.

• 1 month later...

I've got a computer that has no cd-rom anymore and I think I want to keep it that way. The board can boot from usb devices and also fdv-2000 installs to sata from an IDE cd without problem.

So the last potential hurdle: Is there any reason why fdv-2000 would NOT be able to install off an USB cd to an (Sata) disk?

If I remember correctly, then fdv added support for referencing dosnet.inf besides txtsetup.sif also, for his fileset, but hfslip dosen't do that for the files it processes, as it's solely meant for CD installs...