Fileset 9, all done

fdv

I had a look and didn't see much. Just one or two small things, and something that might have been a path error to a dll, but nothing that stood out.

The service doesn't need to run all the time; Windows is smart enough to start and stop it as necessary, but I have it on auto.

Be sure you are using this hotfix here, 893803

Here is a revised fileset for whatever it's worth. Like I say, I don't know if the few changes will make things different, but its worth a shot.

http://www.vorck.com/windows/data/fdvfiles9b.zip

FIXED

I was missing the hotfix you posted. Sorry for wasting your time. I want to really thank

you for your patience and support

Would it be possible for me to change NONENG.INF, so that only the danish language is installed, and not the rest ?

Can you give me the filenames of the Dutch language? Give me those and I'll swap some things around

Why do you by default also keep Cyrillic and Hebrew ?

Because I have some long, long-time users who are Russian and Israeli :) I can add Dutch permanently no prob.

In the last version of fileset 9,the NONENG.INF has gone.

I can use the hfslip 1.7.9 + fdv fileset9 to remove the ie from windows 2000 pro en sp4.

But i fail to install the "Simplified Chinese language" support in "Regional Option" that i had installed successfully in the pre_hfslip system.

I had installed the "Simplified Chinese language" support in "Regional Option" like this:

1."Start"->"Settings"->"Control Pannel"->"Reginal Options" window.

2."Language settings for the system"->select "Simplified Chinese"

3."Settings for the current user"-> "Your locale(location)"->select "Chinese(PRC)"

4."Language settings for the system"->click "Set default ..." botton -> "Select System Locale" windows pop out ->select "Chinese(PRC)"->click "OK"

5.Click "Reginal Options" window's "Apply" botton.

In the pre_hfslip system it would copy the appropriate language support files listed in the intl.inf and install the language support.

But now I failed here and the Error window pop:

Windows setup could not copy the appropriate files for Simplified Chinese. Make sure you have the correct path name for the files.

After some searching in the msfn,I had uncommented all the "agt*.*" in the layout.inf,txtsetup.sif.

After some searching in the google , I had copy the origal intl.inf,hivesys.inf,hivedef.inf to overwrite the "sourcess\i386" then make the new ISO to install the os.

But still i got the same error windows.

Anyone give me some clues about the new language support installation?

Thanks.

Edited by nh_wzg

nh_wzg

Because they (simplified Chinese) come from the LANG directory on the CD and probably the file pointer numbers in TXT... and LAY... are either wrong or were deleted. Just a guess. I can't recall. I did a much more logical job in my XP fileset. AGT* is Agent... There are a lot more! All of your Simp Chi files may be found in INTL.INF. Once you get them you can add them permanently.

PROBLEM

Direct X -is- installed. Make sure HFCABS is correctly populated. I never removed DX at any point.

Edited by fdv

nh_wzg

Because they (simplified Chinese) come from the LANG directory on the CD and probably the file pointer numbers in TXT... and LAY... are either wrong or were deleted. Just a guess. I can't recall. I did a much more logical job in my XP fileset. AGT* is Agent... There are a lot more! All of your Simp Chi files may be found in INTL.INF. Once you get them you can add them permanently.

Yes, i copied the several dir items in the TXT... & LAY... from the original cd file to try with the hivesys.inf,hivedef.inf in set 9,then the Simp Chi Lang support installed successfully.

That is great! Thanks for your fileset 9.

But still i don't know much about the agt*.*. I have not rolled back the changes in TXT... & LAY... I am just trying the other software to install in this excited os.

Now i just wonder how to research the os(2k/xp/2k3...) component (what is the files,*.inf... useages) and what is the tools FDV used ?

Thanks a lot .

Problem - What happens when you go to start/run and type in dxdiag.exe?

The Direct X Diagnostics Tool pops up. Well I though I didn't have it. Everything still works fine though.

Thanks for your hard work. I will just use Direct X Eradicator.

Now i just wonder how to research the os(2k/xp/2k3...) component (what is the files,*.inf... useages) and what is the tools FDV used ?

From http://www.vorck.com/windows/about.html

"In 1997, I modified some INF files in Windows NT and got it to install without Internet Explorer (it was IE version 2 at the time). In December 2001, I wondered what would happen if I modified Windows 2000 INF installation files to prevent Internet Explorer from being installed, added the modified INF files to a service pack, and then slipstreamed the result (at the time, it had to be done in that order to avoid digital signature errors). The process such as it was then was hosted by a guy named Shawn (anon) in November, 2001."

At that time, I did not hack any DLLs! The SETUPAPI.DLL mod came courtesy of a developer in Russia who wished, and still wishes, to remain anonymous. He literally kept giving me hints until I got it straight. You will note that nLite uses a different DLL, which came courtesy of a French dev named 7imo, who appears to be gone now (nLite used to use my mod WAY back; 7imo's was original and a slight bit cleaner for technical reasons too long to explain right now). To get into what files do what, you need to have known and used Windows 3.1 all the way forward. That's how for example I know that all the files in SYSTEM (not 32, just SYSTEM) could be removed. You need to know that files starting with OLE2 are obsolete technology from the 90's. You need to expand INF files and see what files are associated with what processes. For example, open up IIS.INF. What a mess! Scrapping those made install go faster. For more INFs to look into, visit http://www.vorck.com/windows/2ksp5.html and scroll to Step 15. Also, when you use something on a Windows system, you can run FILEMON to see what DLLs it uses. And sometimes, you just need to try stuff. Like OEMBIOS in XP -- I said 'what the heck' and installed without it and discovered both what it actually is (I don't really feel comfortable saying it publicly what it is really used for) and why most systems don't need it. And, you have no idea how much isosizing Tom and I have done just testing stuff.... Trying to install Windows without Active Directory. I've done it. Without -any- encryption support. Done it (Windows was unbelievably slow). Without any MDAC support (many programs won't work). My list of failures is both unpublished (not worth anyone's time) and that list of failures is longer than my list of successes -- I learned a lot, in other words. Server 2003 was easier than you might think. Once you've fiddled with XP, you know the media junk in 2003 is easy to spot, and the R2 stuff was pretty much nonessential to most people's use of Server. (Who really needed connectivity DLLs for Unix that didn't work with Linux anyway, and besides, *nix has the FAR better and constantly developed SAMBA).

On November 16, 2004 TommyP sent me the following message: "I posted a message the other day (with little fanfare), but I think it's right up your alley. Basically, it's a batch program that slipstreams all the hotfix binaries, so you don't need to do anything manually."

Everything kinda got kickstarted at that point. When TP and I exchanged notes, it was like pouring gas on fire. Trivia: there was one time when both TP and I stayed up 24 hours IIRC working on a feature, and that was DRIVER.CAB integration with the SP?.CAB.

So, in short, I did not use any tools. Just slow INF examination, FILEMON, registry combing, HIVE*.INF analysis, and help on a key DLL from an anon Russian. In fact, if you have a peek in the nLite credits box, you'll see my name. There's a reason for that :yes:

Edited by fdv
grammar

This is my first slipstream endeavor. I love the outcome.

I still would like to remove both notepads, and install Wordpad because it read Microsoft Word documents.

How Do I do this? What folder do I put SCRIPTEN.EXE in?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

This is my first slipstream endeavor. I love the outcome.

I still would like to remove both notepads, and install Wordpad because it read Microsoft Word documents.

How Do I do this? What folder do I put SCRIPTEN.EXE in?

Untill fdv replies, then i believe for adding wordpad back-in you'd uncomment these from layout.inf/txtsetup.sif:

;wordpad.chm  = 1,,,,,,,,3,3
;wordpad.exe = 1,,,,,,,,3,3
;wordpad.hlp = 1,,,,,,,,3,3
;wordpad.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

And uncomment this line from sysoc.inf:

;MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,,7

Then for removing notepad i believe you'd comment out these from layout.inf/txtsetup.sif:

notepad.exe  = 1,,,,,,,1,0,0 ; where it really lives
notepad.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0 ; put a second copy here
notepad.lnk = 1,,,,,,,,3,3 ;new

And comment out this line from syssetup.inf:

%notepad% = notepad.exe,notepad.exe,,0,%notepad_infotip%

About scripten.exe, then since i couldn't find it in the Win2k update-list, then i searched the hfslip-changelog and found this:

added support for Windows Script Host 5.7

WARNING!

The new scripten.exe is a Type 1 hotfix so the old WSH 5.6 (if named scriptxx.exe or scripxxx.exe), which is a Type 2 hotfix, is no longer supported!

Also, setuperr.log shows some errors related to the new WSH 5.7 files. This is a general problem (confirmed by Microsoft) and I haven't found a way around it yet. Advise: stick with WindowsXP-Windows2000-Script56-KB917344-x86-XXX.exe (or the mini KB917344 hotfix) for now, or place the new scripten.exe in HFSVCPACK_SW1.

WSH 5.6 named as "scripten.exe" is no longer supported (the new WSH 5.7 has the same name but it's a different type; we can't support both)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but it should also be in "%programfiles%\Windows NT\Accessories".

Are you sure that you uncommented the 'wordpad.*' files in txtsetup.sif/layout.inf + the 'wordpad' entry in sysoc.inf?

This would make the OC manager run wordpad.inf during install, which copies the files to their needed destination and makes the shortcuts and file-associations...

If you've done that, then i'm affraid it's out of my reach, and you'll have to wait for FDV to ellaborate further.