Fileset 9, all done

fdv

It's been a while running hfslip so.... I could be wrong ;-)

(This one is still current I hope: http://www.vorck.com/windows/data/fdvfiles.zip)

If I want to install media player all I have to do is to uncomment mplayer2.inf from syssetup.in_ , is that right?

Because if I do during 'Performing final tasks' and 'installs Start menu items' install asks for mplayer2.exe.

That file is mpc renamed to mplayer2.exe in APPREPLACEMENT. It is also in the CDs i386 dir and if I point the installer there it is happy. (I can also extract manually so I think that replace process went well)

So I thought I had to uncomment mplayer2.exe in layout and txtsetup. But now it asks for logagent.exe (it is on the cd as well and it can be extracted) which it didn't do before. (I point it there and install continues.)

So what am I doing wrong?

I have to confess, this was done for TommyP, I don't know a darned thing about MPC and I don't know why it's asking for that binary. The INF file was mainly to switch associations to MPC.

You have to open any files not found in TXTSETUP and LAYOUT and uncomment them (so the install copies them over) if that is a problem; I don't have the files in front of me ATM, and I don't recall how I arranged that.

So, basically you are correct; uncomment logagent, although I don't know why its asking. Remind me Tuesday or so and I'll have a look at the file to see what's going on. I am traveling on business though on Wed so I might not have the time but I will look into it if reminded.

You know I really wanted to add mplayer2 using \$OEM$\$Progs but couldn't get that to work.

I tried OEMFilesPath=.\$OEM$ in the answer file like here. Can $Progs work the way it does for $$\System ?

(And so I tried to replace mplayer2. But don't bother going through INFs if it's for me.)

And to think I already had used the PF directory when I wrote that. Anyway: right-clicking explorer's menu bar not only gives Standard buttons, address and links but also Radio (?). Latest fileset and fixes, not much else.

And to think I already had used the PF directory when I wrote that. Anyway: right-clicking explorer's menu bar not only gives Standard buttons, address and links but also Radio (?). Latest fileset and fixes, not much else.

Back a long while ago, the radio stuff, when removed from the explorer bar, caused explorer to crash all the time. That may have been due to an earlier version of explorer -- it's a holdover from SP1 days. The radio stuff is in SHELL.INF. Open that file, find [add.fixes] and you'll see it. I never tried running without it since SP1. The bug has probably been fixed, I'm guessing.

Remember of course that since everything is open and modifyable, you can write an INF to add anything at all and put it into SYSSETUP.INF under [infs.Always]; I use a reg snapshot program if I -really- want something installed this way and write my own INF. Just remember to add the files also to TXTSETUP and LAYOUT with = 1,,,,,,,,3,3 after them so that Windows puts them on the drive so the INF you create can later find them.

I have tested this on 2 laptops. HFSLIP with FDV fileset9

1. Infrared Device is not recognize in the device manager. Drivers are missing.

2. The caps lock function doesn't work anymore.

3. I have 2 notepads C:\WINNT and in C:\WINNT\system32 is it safe to delete 1.

4. ADMINPAK.MSI does not install. It might be missing some core files.

5. Direct X 7 is installed. Is it really needed since, I want be using it for media.

This computer will only store media not run it.

6. A lot of empty folders are present, can I delete them?

These are the ones I think I don't need. There are more.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\msinfo

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\speechengines

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\triedit

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\vgx

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC

C:\Program Files\microsoft frontpage

C:\Program Files\netmeeting

C:\Program Files\outlook express

C:\Program Files\windows media player

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\imagevue

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\pinball

C:\WINNT\addins

C:\WINNT\ime

C:\WINNT\msapps

C:\WINNT\mww32

C:\WINNT\speech

C:\WINNT\system32\wbem

7. How do I use the original Windows 2000 icons instead of the NT4?

8. C:\WINNT\MUI\fallback has the same files different languages. Can I delete

the obselete ones?

9. NMAPI.DLL is needed to run netmon.exe

10. How can I delete the list contents to text file extension.

11. How do I install unofficial updates, not sure what folder they go in?

FMNT.EXE

GRPHFLTS.EXE

SERVICNT.EXE

DST_2KXP.EXE

SCRIPTEN.EXE

Thanks for all your hard work. Other than the listed above everything

else runs smooth.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

1. Infrared Device is not recognize in the device manager. Drivers are missing.

On purpose. It was commented out in SYSSETUP under devices to install. Easy to add back, or copy that INF to the windows INF directory and through control panel, select add hardware and go that route.

2. The caps lock function doesn't work anymore.

On purpose. I got tired of it so I made it a regular SHIFT key. Can be adjusted in AXANT5.INF

3. I have 2 notepads C:\WINNT and in C:\WINNT\system32 is it safe to delete 1.

On purpose. This was done to always be able to open a file in that program even if there are path errors. You may indeed delete one.

4. ADMINPAK.MSI does not install. It might be missing some core files.

Do other MSI install? I am not sure why this would be. You say 'pro server' but isn't adminpak for server only? I totally cannot recall.

5. Direct X 7 is installed. Is it really needed since, I want be using it for media.

This computer will only store media not run it.

It is not needed if it's storage only, but I do not know how to uninstall DX anything so I am no hgelp here.

6. A lot of empty folders are present, can I delete them?

Yes. But I never was 100% sure what can do, so it might be best to change the name first and see if Windows still boots ok. (This has been addressed in my XP fileset)

7. How do I use the original Windows 2000 icons instead of the NT4?

See AXANT5.INF

8. C:\WINNT\MUI\fallback has the same files different languages. Can I delete

the obselete ones?

Yes but not durectory 1033, IIRC

9. NMAPI.DLL is needed to run netmon.exe

Add it manually to SYSTEM32 or if installing edit TXTSETUP to add it.

10. How can I delete the list contents to text file extension.

See AXANT5.INF

11. How do I install unofficial updates, not sure what folder they go in?

When in doubt, SYSTEM32

Edited by fdv

Can you run a filemon on it to see if there are fails? I don't have 2000 in a fresh install ATM. I do not have this problem on my fileset 8 machine. Let's plug away at this.

Let me know if the MSI service is installed. It should be set to auto.

Edited by fdv

Thanks once again.

I have the infrared working now.

I have the Win 2000 default icons working.

I have the list contents to text file removed.

Is it possible to delete both notepads and have wordpad

as my default text viewer, with it hotfix? How do I do this?

I want to also delete paint it won't be used at all.

I tryed replacing Iexpress with a newer version but it didn't install.

I placed the file in the D:\$OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32.

I tryed netmon, it said I'm missing another file, Parser.dll. I can't find it

nowhere.

Still no luck on adminpak.msi or other msi files.

Once I get these minor issues resolved I will be good to go.

PROBLEMCHYLD, and the answer to this question?????

Cheers and Regards

Its set to manual. I set it to automatc......

This still doesn't allow me to install any type of msi files period, with Switches or no switches.

So the PROBLEM remains.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I had a look and didn't see much. Just one or two small things, and something that might have been a path error to a dll, but nothing that stood out.

The service doesn't need to run all the time; Windows is smart enough to start and stop it as necessary, but I have it on auto.

Be sure you are using this hotfix here, 893803

Here is a revised fileset for whatever it's worth. Like I say, I don't know if the few changes will make things different, but its worth a shot.

http://www.vorck.com/windows/data/fdvfiles9b.zip