Fileset 9, all done

fdv

"So if it's antivir that delays set 9........"

@Brabant - to clear any confusion, Antivir and most others require the Post SP4 Rollup. If you slip that you will be fine. I myself have pre-slipped it so that my slip goes faster. I have also made sure to add the reg entries, which HFSLIP does automatically. So I may misunderstand but if I implied that set 9 won't let antivirus software work, I would be wrong, becuase it really -should- work okay. It was just me at one point that had a problem.

I probably didn't read you correctly anyhow since I have had a few beers tonight so never mind me :whistle:

Yeah... WU3 was left to shut up ignorant critics who claimed that Windows could no longer be updated.

They forget manual downloads from the list TommyP keeps, and WU3 was an option but after a lot of internal debate I decided it's not important, because what really got me thinking was the fact that hotfixes will come to an end on July 13, 2010. :no:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up - I created a new build over the past few hours, and ended up having to go into the depths of the hivesys.inf file. Text-mode setup kept telling me that Line 498 was corrupted, and setup was aborted. I removed the comma after "Control", and all is fine now. I don't know if this is a bug for anyone else, or just me.

Perfect timing!

I finally got around to building FS9 with June beta HFSLIP (ver L) and got the same error message in VirtualBox 3.0.6.

Line 498 of hivesys.inf is corrupted.

Glad someone else smarter than I am (jimmsta) found the problem.

Will try commenting out the offending line. (Will have to find a text editor that numbers lines!)

Mike <><

Thanks Fred:

I dnld'd the updated fileset with hivesys.inf and iexplore.inf updated 9/21. I got the error "cannot copy reboot.exe." I notice that file is missing from the archive. I'll copy reboot.exe from a previous fileset into the new and do it again.

Mike <><

Hi Fred:

"Shoot, I just can't get this right!! Sorry!"

Hey, I'm thankful you've stuck with this project this long! No way I could do something like what you've done.

Yes, at first I hit ESC and it installed fine without REBOOT. But since I'm a perfectionist, I copied REBOOT from an old archive and reinstalled.

So far, so good. Am posting from Fileset 9 within VBox, within an nLite'd XP.

Mike <><

• 3 weeks later...

Give this set a try

http://vorck.com/windows/data/fdvfiles-xp.zip

It actually leaves some junk in, as you can see if you run the following:

expand -r syssetup.in_

expand -r sysoc.in_

I actually wanted a version of XP with a working Firewall (for reasons I won't even start to explain).

This set also leaves in Internet Explorer because I needed to run Adobe Acrobat 9 and didn't want to figure out which file Adobe thought they needed.

If you want to remove IE, just comment it out in the syssetup.inf file (and then recompress it of course).

Vielen Dank Fred!!

I'll give this a shot tonight...

BTW Set 9 is truly Amazing...

the responsiveness of the system..Awesome!

Runs so smooth on old AMD duron 128 MB.

Thanks again for all your amazing work!

gr Chefken.