Fileset 9, all done

fdv

For help files I would recommend xCHM, as it's leightweight and has a nice simplistic gui with treeview and tabs etc. It also has an option for making xCHM the default reader for help files for ppl who don't know how to associate the CHM file-extension to xCHM manually...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchm/files...16.zip/download

I would stay away from version 1.16 for now, however. When I tried it, it was very unstable and crashed frequently. Version 1.13 works just fine.

I would stay away from version 1.16 for now, however. When I tried it, it was very unstable and crashed frequently. Version 1.13 works just fine.

I very rarelly use help files, so i haven't encountered any problems with v1.16 yet, but thanks for the heads-up, mate :)

@ Martin H, Ambassador

Thanks, much appreciated.

You're most welcome, mate :)

FYI: wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe, when unpacked, contains: wmp11.exe, and when unpacked, contains: l3codecp.acm.

Which is: Fhg IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (Professional) v3.4.0.0 and can be installed with the attached inf. Wmp10, also includes v 3.3.0.44. Most ppl probably use LAME, but the Fraunhofer (Professional) mp3 codec allows for unrestricted encoding and decoding, whereas Wmp9's wmfdist.EXE only includes l3codeca.acm v1.9.0.305, which is a crippled version with limitations on available bit-rates and sampling rates for encode. A base install of Win2K has l3codecx.ax - which allows for decode only of mp3.

I was checking out various l3codec's that I had acquired, also noticed an old Roxio6 disk had a codec. I used NirSoft's InstalledCodec.exe, which listed l3codecx.ax, l3codecx.acm, and l3codecp.acm. I then disabled them all, attempted to play an MP3 - my media player choked ;) So I enabled l3codecp.acm - and all was well.

l3codecp.inf

Edited by Crash&Burn

Is this the 'professional' version limited to 128kbps? LOL @ "Wild-a**-Guess Technologies"

I set my K6 to work on that usb drive (prev. page). Chkdsk /r at 57% after 22+ hours... poor thing.

Has anyone tried to get SpeedFan to work (on a set 9d install)? It installs but an error log is created when trying to start it. I attached drwtsn32.log as txt hoping that helps.

drwtsn32.txt

Is this the 'professional' version limited to 128kbps? LOL @ "Wild-a**-Guess Technologies"

I set my K6 to work on that usb drive (prev. page). Chkdsk /r at 57% after 22+ hours... poor thing.

Has anyone tried to get SpeedFan to work (on a set 9d install)? It installs but an error log is created when trying to start it. I attached drwtsn32.log as txt hoping that helps.

Dunno, haven't tried encoding with it. I know the others are very limited.

As for speedfan, I usually run SysInternals FileMon when stuff isn't working, and sometimes when it is.

From a brief analysis, looks like SpeedFan needs:

C:\WIN2K\system32\MSVCP60.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\fastprox.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemcomn.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemdisp.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemprox.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemsvc.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\winmgmt.exe

C:\WIN2K.0\system32\WBEM\Logs\wmiprov.log

Along with some other stuff, that I believe are standard DLL's.

Edited by Crash&Burn

From a brief analysis, looks like SpeedFan needs:

C:\WIN2K\system32\MSVCP60.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\fastprox.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemcomn.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemdisp.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemprox.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\wbemsvc.dll

C:\WIN2K\system32\wbem\winmgmt.exe

C:\WIN2K.0\system32\WBEM\Logs\wmiprov.log

Along with some other stuff, that I believe are standard DLL's.

WBEM or "Web Based Enterprise Management" is removed by Vorck's fileset. That's probably why it isn't working.

[WBEM or "Web Based Enterprise Management" is removed by Vorck's fileset. That's probably why it isn't working.

*Chuckle* I know. The "other stuff" I didn't list look to be standard install dll's.

I'm not running fileset9 yet, but its coming along. Thus I went to see if I could run the FanSpeed util.

It's not very useful, it only detects my CPU fan. No detection of the GPU fan or the other 4 fans I have installed in the system.

I would of at least expected it to find the one other fan that is plugged into the 2pin-fan-power slot on the motherboard itself.

ASUS Cool&Quiet (MOBO) can do at least as much.

Edited by Crash&Burn

Bugs so far:

- put fltmgr.sys in the 'system32/drivers' directory instead of just the system32 directory

- free-av says "rollup must be installed" but it -is- so I'll have a look into what it thinks it wants at some point

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I'm finding XCHM isn't really a solution.

At first I really thought it wasn't unicode, as it seemed to refuse to open folders with "†" or "©" in their path, but further testing in some root dir folders have resulted in this very strange functionality for a Windows program:

It refuses to open a .CHM in a path or filename that contains a dollar sign "$", or a "%" :P

I bought a game some time ago (yes I do that) and antivir had no complaints when I used a no-cd for that game (yes I do that too). But after updating it did find a virus. I already doubted that but ditched the offending exe.

Some time later the game got a patch. I download and install and take a fresh no-cd. Antivir finds it all OK.

Guess what happened after updating antivir? That's right, I don't need a 20+MB download only to find it's a game exe checksum database. So if it's antivir that delays set 9........

Sumatra PDF is getting better, if you like lightweight stuff. Maybe not if you need a crucifix in your pathnames :P

Edited by Brabant