Fileset 9, all done

fdv

No, some of these aren't how they used to be

That, plus HIVESYS.INF HIVESFT.INF HIVEUSD.INF

These files have definitely changed quite a huge bit.

Are you looking to create a language specific set? Because if so, some strings need to be restored back down to the [strings] section.

Are you looking to create a language specific set? Because if so, some strings need to be restored back down to the [strings] section.

Yes and that's what I've been looking for. So the Qs are: 1) Which files? and 2) what to change?

I had to start somewhere and have now filled [strings] sections of the 5 HIVEs, layout, and shell. I started with files off an original Dutch CD. Then thought to check sp4 for newer ones which there were.

Tested a bit, all items in CP were already in Dutch before adding strings except "Add/Remove Programs" and "Game Options". They still are in English so I need more files to edit or have done something wrong to the ones I did.

If I need more than just strings please let me know. Which files to do would be great too.

I changed some values in the HIVE files because way, way back when I was analyzing them, it was getting messy and confusing. So I changed some strings permanently. I'll need to change them back I guess for other languages to be 100%. So you don't lose any work, there is WinMerge which I make extensive use of tracking down bugs; it will let you synchronize the translation work you've already done so it's not lost.

Random: deleting the crypto DLLs and keys does little more than create outrageously long boot times. Looks like that is not worth pursuing.

I think something's not alright with fileset 9 (or 8 for that matter). When using 'Stop USB Mass Storage Device' an USB HDD will always disconnect nicely. But a flash drive will disconnect and immediately reconnect. The "It is now safe to..." message comes up but the drive's LED lights up and the drive reappears in explorer.

To check if it's not VIAs fault (KT400, no not great) I also installed the following (same hardware and BIOS settings of course):

- plain 2000 followed by SP4

- plain 2000 followed by 810090

- XP with SP3 integrated

- 2003 RC1

All of these will disconnect the device. The problem was in 8e of which I had an image and also in 9a. I can give my HFSLIP log but it's just HFs, dx9 cabs and a ForceAutoLogon reg file.

Edited by Brabant

This probably won't help, but I'll offer my $.02. Try including Windows2000-KB827675-x86-ENU.exe in your HF folder. IIRC, it's a USB fix for the via chipset.

I have pretty much VIA everything in my computer and have surprisingly had hardly any issues.

question: I'm still on FDV fileset 8j. how far behind am I?

In fileset 8j, apparently Windows File Protection could not access the DLL cache so it was disabled. (I read about an SFC bug in 'readme' of 8j) Apart from that there is really nothing that I can fault, the rest is personal preference.

Fred: In case you don't know, it's Callum here.

EDIT: I should also mention that I find it a bit odd that 'power options' are greyed out and unavailable. A side effect or something more to it...? Personally I can't stand it when my computers go into standby, and since I have a laptop, it does just that. There's a weird issue with my video driver that makes video/games/youtube very slow after standby, and I just don't like it anyway - I like my computers burning up as much power as they can :D

So I edited my power scheme to 'minimal power management' or 'always on' (can't remember, they both pretty much do the same thing) via the registry after a moment or two of using the 'find' function and searching for 'power' and that did it, but, what gives with the greyed out power options?!

Edited by JustinStacey

USB reconnection: no idea. Maybe it's something that got solved along the way. I don't recall seeing this.

8J: set 9 had a boatload of fixes and such. See the new readme when I publish set 9 for all.

WFP: this is a weird one, it's in limbo. It -does- work, but if the CD is not in the drive after accepting one file mod, it will no longer ask for a "CD" specifically. I have no handle on what's causing it.

Power options: fixed

Stand by. I am working on 9 right now.

Install goes faster if I remove printer drivers.

Whatever drivers are in the DRIVER.CAB are left alone, but all of those hundreds of drivers in TXTSETUP and LAYOUT that end in 3,3 copy over but don't necessarily get used unless you have a printer from 1999 / 2000.

There is an increase in setup time if I remove these.

THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO ADD PRINTERS.

This ONLY removes drivers that are, at this point, a decade old.

Test set

Edited by fdv

I've just qucikly tested set-9d, and the only thing i could spot, was from checking setuperr.log, where i saw that the two files which final.inf should have registered, weren't registered:

Error:

Setup failed to backup the catalogs with error 3.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\odbcconf.dll because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147500037 (80004005).

Warning:
NetSetup: Could not find a section for {C12E9EAD-B8DF-40D7-A8EC-FBDD0733D26A}, therefore if parameters were specified for this adapter (e.g. static IP address, etc.) they will not be used.

Warning:
Setup was unable to initialize NetDDE because of the following error:
A routine in the NetDDE library returned failure.

Error:

Setup was unable to prepare for network setup.

Error:
Setup was unable to process some components because of the following error in section DefaultInstall of information file final.inf:
The data is invalid.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\wbemcore.dll because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (7e).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\wbemcntl.dll because of the following error:

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\fdeploy.dll because of the following error:

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\mmcshext.dll because of the following error:

Warning:
Setup was unable to change service entry ClipSrv because of the following error:
OpenService returned error 1060 (424).

Warning:
Setup was unable to change service entry NetDDE because of the following error:

Warning:
Setup was unable to change service entry NetDDEdsdm because of the following error:

Error:

An error occurred during the final phase of Setup.

Thank's again for your efforts FDV, it's much appreciated, mate :)

This probably won't help, but I'll offer my $.02. Try including Windows2000-KB827675-x86-ENU.exe in your HF folder. IIRC, it's a USB fix for the via chipset.

But it does. Thanks.

The installed files seem to be the same as before (except some have their 'date modified' changed to today, why is that anyway? The install I'm typing this from still has these files as 2003 dates).

Does this mean the file set is missing something or would I need a reg file in svcpack?

Thanks for all the work.

1) Does "All bugs including WFP and "Insert your now" are fixed." mean I don't need 827675 anymore?

It's pre-update rollup so I shouldn't, right? So I didn't include that one. Well the "flash drive will disconnect and immediately reconnect" is still there.

2) You do know that in explorer choosing e.g. "order by Modified descending" and using "Like Current Folder" the view goes back to "Modified ascending"?

After a (cold) restart the column is ordered descending so it can remember it's settings.

But then, when copying files with focus on target dir and pressing F5 after it's done copying it again goes back to ascending.

Or am I the only one who has this?

Edit: It's very inconsistent in it's behaviour. I've been toying for half an hour (moving files around, opening files, reboots) and it doesn't change any setting. Then I went to Web View, changed to "Use classic folders" and back, clicked Apply and suddenly it's ascending again.

After closing programs and rebooting explorer shows Modified desc. So it has remembered it's settings.

3) Use 'Open with' for a BMP. Close mspaint. This does not stick. The next time mspaint isn't in the 'open with' list so I'll have to browse again.

Edited by Brabant

1. You should not need 827675.

1a. I no longer get the USB reconnect bug, but at some point, I added an undocumented USB hotfix (sorry I can't recall which!!!)

2. It happens to me too. I always thought it was a bug in a hotfix. No idea.

3. Happens for me too. I will make a fix. What a pain, stupid little bug.