Fileset 9, all done

fdv

@PMikeP

Everything in the FDVFILES folder is copied to SOURCESS\I386, and then you just install the INFs you need after having installed Windows from the SOURCESS folder.

Don't do it before running HFSLIP, since that has only effect on the running installation.

Edited by Martin H

http://www.vorck.com/data/sp5files-set9a.zip

Changes in set #9a:

- Fixed the "Where's Notepad?" bug

- Fixed MDAC.INF to suppress the MDACrdMe.htm error. Two ways to accomplish this; I am going with a modified MDAC INF

- Removed Agent from installing

- Removed Speech from installing

- Removable Storage Service is now set to Manual instead of Auto

- The MSI service is back to Manual (it was auto in set 9). Apparently it's supposed to be Manual. It takes over 3mb when running.

- Moved some settings from SHELL.INF to HIVEDEF because they honestly make more sense there

- Moved the Zone fix from AXANT5 to HIVESFT because it also makes more sense there

- Changed some header spellings in SHELL.INF to isolate a problem I'm trying to fix

- PPD and GPD files are transitioned to the bottom of TXTSETUP and LAYOUT and will eventually be moved to a separate INF, but don't worry about this right now

- The whole NONENGL.INF thing is gone now; all language keyboards and codepages install by default. That was probably not a good idea...

- HIVESYS now has settings for the Win32 Time Server Service, sets server values, and sets this service to Auto

- Trying to fix missing agt0407.dll file copy error but I have a modded 2k and don't know if anyone else gets this

- agt0407.dll is still missing.

- freshly formatted VBox install (2 partitions) gives both multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

and ...partition(2)\WINNT . While D: has not even been formatted.

Ah wait: The second choice says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing

or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

- If installed on D: there is a message when shutting down with title "SAS window: winlogon.exe - Unable To Locate DLL"

saying it can't find WINHTTP.dll in

D:\WINNT\system32;.;D:\WINNT\system32;D:\WINNT\system;D:\WINNT;D:\WINNT\system32;D:\WINNT;D:\WINNT\system32\Wbem.

Yes the .; are after the first path.

Edited by Brabant

freshly formatted VBox install (2 partitions) gives both multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

and ...partition(2)\WINNT . While D: has not even been formatted.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing

or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

I don't understand these two; can I get screenshots sent to me? I don't get where they are occurring in the process

- Partitions deleted. Create new ones.

- 1.png shows the partitions. I install on C: choosing NTFS.

- The boot menu appears right after the first boot! I could just grab 2.png with the timer being 1 second or so.

- Mouse and keyboard get installed, user and WG created. Performing Final Tasks and reboot.

- 3.png shows the menu after second boot. Same one except it gives me more time.

- Windows seems to start up fine so I reboot and choose the second option.

- 4.png shows message when doing that.

Also hfslip.log and yesterdays WINHTTP error are attached. This error also occurs when installed on C: BTW.

Checked boot.ini :

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=Ms Win 2000 Pro" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT=Ms Win 2000 Pro" /fastdetect

must've been added while still in textmode.

post-203993-1240946737_thumb.png

post-203993-1240946751_thumb.png

post-203993-1240946759_thumb.png

post-203993-1240946766_thumb.png

HFSLIP81223_2K_28042009_1h00m.txt

post-203993-1240946780_thumb.png

Edited by Brabant

So far I am unable to replicate this but I am trying.

The dll missing file error is a string directly from NTLDR.

You aren't re-using a virtual machine image, are you? You are starting with a brand new virtual machine?

My fileset shouldn't be causing this (but I am checking to make sure) because this is kind of like what happens when the boot sector and boot loader are on a disk but the Windows directory has been deleted.

As for WINHTTP, the reason it's necessary is because of a newer version of winlogon. I personally have winhttp.dll from ReactOS in my SYSTEM directory just so Windows shuts up. It's a meaningless error and I suppose I could uncomment and add back this file in TXTSETUP and LAYOUT if people find it annoying enough I guess. I'd love to be able to get the ReactOS team's approval to include this dll in my files, because theirs is only 92k. I will look into their license and maybe if it allows I will compile an "empty" one using their source.

You aren't re-using a virtual machine image, are you? You are starting with a brand new virtual machine?

Yes and no. I've always done it like this.

I always delete partitions, create new ones (with new i.e. other sizes) and format (at least c:). How can a boot sector and boot loader survive this?

And I just made a new VM and you are right. Not trying to be smart here but this thing started with an accidental install on D: so:

Why is Autopartition 1 ?

And why are (roots of) drives shared by default? Never remembered to ask that one.

Edited by Brabant

Why is Autopartition 1 ?

No real reason. Convenience, honestly. I can comment it out. I don't see any reason either way, because people monitor the install process anyway. I don't even see a difference in the setup.

And why are (roots of) drives shared by default? Never remembered to ask that one.

That's the administrative share. That's no different than a default Win2k install -- that's normal.

I don't recall if you're a long time user, but a while ago, maybe 2005, I had it so that administrative drive sharing was shut off. That hassled a lot of administrators (and got annoying for me, as well) so I restored it to the default.

I accidentally once removed the encryption DLLs and Windows worked fine but I didn't test beyond about 45 minutes' worth.

Is encryption really just for IE? I know MS KB says it's for installation of software, but... is it really?

Could they be lying?

What if I rip out the MIME keys too? Is that IE only, really? Again, MS says no, but... is that even true?

As it is, my fileset yields a 700mb install. That's pretty darn good. But I am indeed wondering about some components now that no one has really ever talked about ripping out, like certificates, encryption, MIME, and even making Active Directory optional. Rest assured I will investigate these before doing anything of course.

OK thanks. I asked: How can a boot sector and boot loader survive this? Or put this way: Can I force VBox to refresh an existing VM? Assuming this is a VBox problem. This not for real HDs I should hope.

Longtime user? I used 2000 for the first time last August. After several 'XP light' flavours, God I hate XP. I only learned since of the 'MS delaying USB2 drivers to push XP' thing. And spent a few evenings googling and thinking 'Where the Hell did Belkin put their 2000 USB drivers?'.

Oh and I actually found 2ksp5 via the Libretto guy's page.

OK thanks. I asked: How can a boot sector and boot loader survive this? Or put this way: Can I force VBox to refresh an existing VM? Assuming this is a VBox problem.

I can't replicate it, and I tried several scenarios, including re-using a VM in VMWare (I don't have the same virtual software you do). I'd say it's probably an infrequently-ocurring VBox problem.

This not for real HDs I should hope.

? It most certainly is! I only test in a VM. I use these files on real machines, as do many hundreds of individuals around the globe. (Only a tiny minority of users are here and active at MSFN). In fact, over the years I have been in correspondence with IT guys who have deployed in university settings to avoid the hassle of daily security problems that IE would bring.

I think you misunderstood ;) I meant the problem is not for real HDs. You've already answered that.

Have you been able to reproduce the reappearance of "insert your  now" ? (after unmount and remount of the ISO)

Have you been able to reproduce the reappearance of "insert your now" ? (after unmount and remount of the ISO)

This is indeed one of the strangest things that happened by "accident."

Without modifying any DLLs*, I have managed to disable WFP, and I have NO CLUE how I did it, and ironically, I want WFP back!!

*For those just tuning in, I include the DLLs to diable it, but they are titled "off" and unless the user switches them WFP is supposed to stay on. Dang it!

agt0407.dll... the setup process calls some INFs that SYSSETUP also calls, so even if commented out of SYSSETUP the install process still runs the INF. It amazes me what a mess Microsoft made in some places without cleaning it up. I should be able to resolve this issue tomorrow or Friday.

I am playing with a VM that has it's root certs and encryption ripped out... a lot of software installs. In fact everything I've tried. Not sure what to make of this.