is it possible to save updates to XP and reinstall

fun4now

i have dial up and want/need to do a clean reinstall of XP to clear up some serious problems. but i don't want to have to download all the updates i have installed over the past 3 years. is it possible to find the updates so i can save them to disk and then reinstall after i reinstall XP ?? or do i just have to re-download then again ??

In theory, it's possible but actually doing it is another thing. Updates are mostly just newer versions of files and the appropriate entry in the registry saying the update has been installed.

If you have SP3 already then all you would need is these...

WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB938464-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB946648-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB950762-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB950974-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB951066-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB951376-v2-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB951698-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB951748-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB951978-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB952287-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB952954-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB954459-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB954600-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB955069-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB955839-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB956802-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB956803-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB956841-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB957097-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB958215-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB958644-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB958687-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB958690-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB960225-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB960714-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB960715-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-KB967715-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-x86-ENU.exe

its a 3 or 4 year old backup on a partitioned disk i need to reinstall from. i have all the updates installed now, so i wanted to find them and save them so after i reboot the OS i can put the updates into the old version to bring it back up to date. this could take days if i have to re-download then with dial up. as i already have the updates i just want to keep them so i don't have to get them off line again. is this possible ??

It's not impossible but forget it man.

You would have to look up the technical bulletin for every update.

Find out which files are updated and back them up and/or see what updates you already have in the Software Distribution folder.

See what changes were made to the registry.

Install XP again.

Replace all the outdated files with the ones you backed up above.

Modify the registry with the new information.

That's not even counting if you don't even have SP2 slipstreamed as new functionality was added.

Best thing to do is order the SP3 CD and then download the hotfixes I posted.

Edited by -X-

If you can wait until Monday, I can look into it. It may be possible as long as your PC keeps the updates after running them.

In the mean time, if you are curious, turn on the viewing of hidden and protected system files, then look in the Windows folder. You should have a bunch of folders at the top with long names/numbers. I don't keep these folders on my computer at home, so I can't tell you what is in them.

i can wait till Monday no problem.

i don't want to have to buy a new copy of XP not to mention it would not have all the drivers for my PC that way. so i would have to look for drivers as well as updates if i went with a new XP CD. the one they have hidden on my drive also has all the drivers and stuff i need for the rest of the computer.

i suppose if all else fails i could wait and get win.7 and install it. if i have to start over and download drivers and updates any way. i may as well upgrade the OS at the same time. less updates for win.7 then for XP. there will be more updates to come for win.7 but its OK to do one here and there, just trying to download 4 years worth of updates strait in a row would be a drag, big time.

so if i gotta buy a new OS CD it may as well be win.7.:)

i can wait till Monday no problem.

i don't want to have to buy a new copy of XP not to mention it would not have all the drivers for my PC that way. so i would have to look for drivers as well as updates if i went with a new XP CD. the one they have hidden on my drive also has all the drivers and stuff i need for the rest of the computer.

i suppose if all else fails i could wait and get win.7 and install it. if i have to start over and download drivers and updates any way. i may as well upgrade the OS at the same time. less updates for win.7 then for XP. there will be more updates to come for win.7 but its OK to do one here and there, just trying to download 4 years worth of updates strait in a row would be a drag, big time.

so if i gotta buy a new OS CD it may as well be win.7.:)

In the future, I would recommend saving all your downloaded driver updates.

cool a servic pack CD, neat.

i never thought about needing to save the updates seperatly from installing them, but i will in future starting with this new laptop and vista updates. thanks

James

Have a look at "%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download".

Maybe there are a lot of files, long filenames with numbers, without extension.

Try to add an extension .cab and unpack them with WinRar.

This is not always possible, but mostly it works.

Edited by g-force

thanks guys.

I'll look at the link you gave and see if i can figure out what you are talking about ( sorry computer illiterate :()

i was really hoping there was a folder some where in windows that held all the downloaded files i could just copy to disk.

use the RyanVM Integrator to bring your install CD up-to-date

this sounds like a great idea, i just have to figure it out first.

to help prevent this problem next time;

how do i catch the incoming auto updates so i can save them before they install. most of the time i don't even notice its happening until it tells me i need to restart for it to take effect ( like it just did ) and the other ones that don't require restart ???...well I'm just clueless about them ?

sorry to sound so stupid, i just don't get this stuff like you all do.

i never understood how a person becomes a hacker ( i mean hacker in a good way) ? i suppose its just got to be in ya, like being mechanically inclined. you can teach anyone to change spark plugs, but some just get it and excel wile others don't. I'm a can do with my hands kind of guy( well I'm not shore that sounds so good.:P LOL)

now i i just had enough room to get my welder in threw the usb port i would be good to go.LOL

thanks again for the help

James

how do i catch the incoming auto updates so i can save them before they install.

When your presented with a list of updates, click the plus sign next to each one.

Click Details...

A popup window will appear with a URL like this -> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=somenumber

Click that link and you will go to the KB article.

Sometimes the download package will be on that page. When it isn't, there will be a couple of links at the top - Home User and Tech Professional or something similar.

Click the Tech Professional.

This will take you to Technet.

Search thru the bulletin for the link to your OS (most updates affect more than one OS)

Example: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS09-006.mspx

Download the update by clicking...

Operating System

Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3

Install it and save it for future use. ( you can install it like I do - drop it onto a batch file containing: %1 /quiet /norestart /nobackup )

Once you've done that for all the items that appear go back to windows update and let it scan again.

The list should be empty now.

Restart.

Not everything that will download to your SoftwareDistribution folder will come as a single file that you can reuse(besides having a weird name). So this is the best way.

Edited by -X-