Which Graphic Card

rickytheanuj

I am a Intel 845 glly user, my system have 2.8 ghz of pentium processor, 128x2 MB of SD ram and 40x2 GB of hard disk and i don't know about the available card slot in this board. Is this is a pci express or AGP or some thing els.

I just want to know, is it possible to install the video card in my available card slot. if yes then which one will be good for me.

And please tell me , Which type of slot is there in my intel 845 glly has??

It doesn't have AGP nor PCI-Express, only 5 plain old PCI slots. Spec sheet located here. The chipset dates back from 2002, so it's way too old for PCI-e, and the AGP slot in the chipset is optional, and wasn't used on your board.

It doesn't have AGP nor PCI-Express, only 5 plain old PCI slots. Spec sheet located here. The chipset dates back from 2002, so it's way too old for PCI-e, and the AGP slot in the chipset is optional, and wasn't used on your board.

That means i can not install any graphic card available in market?

There are still a handful of low-end video cards available as PCI, but it wouldn't be much improvement over what you already have onboard (IMO). And they can be hard to find too.

Nothing AGP or PCI-e will work.

The best thing you can probably do, is look on the used market for an older card. It should be VERY cheap too, or upgrade your computer to something newer (not that expensive either)

Kelsenellenelvian: newegg won't ship to Nepal, or anywhere outside the USA for that matter ;) Plus, most of those you searched for are PCI-e, they have a category for those that contains 40 low-end cards, which is likely ~39 more than he'll be able to find in Nepal.

Actually you can get nvidia geforce 8500 GT's and 8600 GT's that come in PCI. They would go nice with a 2.8Ghz CPU. If you really wanted to upgrade that system, I would upgrade the RAM from 256MB to at least 512MB or 1GB. That will make a huge difference. I did it on an old system (256 to 512)and it feels like it flies now :w00t: (sort of)

But since geforce 8 cards in PCI may be hard to find anywhere offline you could get a popular geforce 6200 which would increase performance by a good bit. You can also get geforce 5700's, 5500's and 5200's but anything below that would be a waste of time and money. The 6200 is the fastest PCI card I would buy before just going out and getting a new PC. As for ATI cards the Radeon HD 2400 Pro is the best PCI card and you could also get a Radeon X1550.

I hope this has helped!

Edited by Zenskas

Get this:

Your integrated graphics card has-

200MHz Core Clock

Up to 400Mhz memory clock depending on your system RAM (in your case just 133Mhz memory clock because you only have SD RAM :} )

Full OpenGL 1.3 Support

Compatible with DirectX* 9.0

*Not all of the new features of DirectX 9.0 are supported (as in will be slow or won't work with many DirectX 9 games)

Shared memory with the system RAM

A Geforce 6200 PCI has-

300Mhz or 350Mhz Core Clock

400Mhz set memory clock

Full OpenGL 2.0 Support

Full DirectX 9.0c Support

Either 128MB or 256MB of dedicated RAM onboard (not shared with the system RAM)

There you have it. No comparison. Also I would definitely upgrade your RAM like I said before. 1GB would be good. Your board supports up to 2GB but I don't know if it supports 2GB sticks of RAM so if you wanted 2GB you would be safer buying 2x1GB sticks. Just 2x512MB sticks should be OK though, or 1x1GB

EDIT: And there are plenty of brand new PCI 6200's on eBay that will ship around the world.

Edited by Zenskas

Well, since your graphics supports DirectX 9, I'd say upgrade your RAM. If your performance lags, check to see in the BIOS if you can change the memory allocation for the video.

And I was going to recommend a Voodoo 3 card... silly me.

Just because it supports directx 9 does not mean it will take on any directx 9 game or app. Read my post, it shows the difference between your integrated graphics and a cheap PCI geforce 6200.

It says:

Compatible with DirectX* 9.0

*Not all of the new features of DirectX 9.0 are supported

While the 6200 is fully compatible with directx 9.0c (note the c) so will be compatible with more games and run them a lot faster because of dedicated memory, faster core clock, more texture and pixel shaders, faster memory bandwidth etc.

Edited by Zenskas

This machine has slow SD-RAM, SDR not DDR! This is quite a bottleneck for a 2.8 GHz processor... (great typical OEM "solution"). Compared to modern memory it will be expensive to upgrade it. And still remain to be the bottleneck, no upgrade that includes less than buying a new mainboard+mem will solve that.

More memory means less disk-swapping and thats good. But applications that require a lot of memory bandwidth (graphics!) won't be helped with just more memory alone.

A videocard with dedicated fast memory can make things look a lot better with older 3d games that your CPU and memory can handle. You won't gain much in FPS but you will be able to crank up resolution and eye candy. A modern graphics-card (like the mentioned examples) will also give you hardware video decoding that will enable you to play (1080p) HD-content and it usually comes with HDTV/DVI output.

SD RAM costs less than DDR and sometimes DDR2. I bought two 256MB sticks of PC 133 RAM and it cost me under $10 including postage! That would be the first upgrade-at least 512mb RAM. Then at least a geforce 5500 preferably a 6200 and you will have something capable of light gaming with games like UT 2004, age of empires 3, world of goo, half life, world of warcraft etc. Games that were made at least two years ago. Still thousands of them though.

SD RAM costs less than DDR and sometimes DDR2.

Depends on where you live I think. Here in Holland 256 MB SDR will cost you about €30,- while you can get 2GB DDR2 for €20,-. For $10,- I would upgrade too.

Yeah ebay is the key. But a RAM upgrade is a must along with the video card upgrade then he will have a half decent computer. Integrated graphics kills as it feeds off system RAM and is hopelessly slow, with no advanced 3D features, video playback features, and raw speed.

Hello!

The best NVIDIA: Sparkle GeForce 9400 GT 550Mhz, 1024MB DDR2 | http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.a...&sub_id=273

The best ATI: PowerColor Radeon HD 2400 PRO 450MHz, 256MB DDR2 | http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_...?ProductID=1715

Alternative could be Matrox: Millennium P690 Plus low profile, 256MB DDR2 | http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products.../p690pluslppci/, http://geizhals.eu/a289295.html

Regards, Roman

Edited by modicr

That means i can not install any graphic card available in market?

Now, as always, we have a very important question; what are you going to do with the PC that you need a video card?

In most cases it´s better to sell what you have now and get a complete new one.