Windows 98 failed boot after most registry changes

Derkach99

Hi,

This is my first post so im sorry for the lack of detail. I am running Windows 98 se dual booted with Windows xp pro on a Thinkpad T42. After installing a program or anything that alters the registry on Windows 98 se odds are high that it hangs at the dos screen just before loading to the desktop. I found that booting windows 98 and getting to the start menu then running command prompt and running the command scanreg/ restore and restoring a registry labeled as "started", causes windows 98 to boot with no problems. However i have to do this almost every time the registry is altered, not to mention due to the roll back in the registry odds are that the program that i installed before the restart doesn't work because its registry entries arnt present. I have kernelex rc2 installed

Please note that i have a desktop computer with the same Os and kernelex configurations and it works perfectly fine.

Could some one please help!!

Edited by Derkach99

It could indeed be an issue caused by having 1GB or more of RAM fitted, which may be overcome by some configuration tweaks.

However it could be the registry size issue which I ran into.

Some systems are unhappy if the system.dat registry file gets too big, and won't fit into memory on boot.

This seems to particularly be the case if you have certain types of network adapter fitted.

To test this, next time it won't boot, try booting into safe mode.

This will almost certanly work.

Then try going into device manager and disabling your network adapter hardware.

Re-boot, and if it now boots successfully, that is almost certainly the problem.

If it is the case I can point you at a very long thread to read all about it!

:)